Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

Richard Symonds-3

All,

Several respected members of the Wikimedia community – and several members of our charity – have approached us voicing their concerns about Edward Buckner, an ex-Wikipedia user who was banned from the project for harassing volunteers on and off Wikipedia. Given his past and present conduct, which includes harassment and publishing personal details of Wikimedians, we do not feel that we can guarantee the security of our volunteers if he is permitted to attend our events.

To that end, Wikimedia UK have banned Dr Buckner (known on Wikipedia as User:Peter Damian) from attending any Chapter-run events (not including the London meetups) until further notice. Dr Buckner is, of course, still welcome to communicate with the charity through email and post, and this ban is subject to review in future if circumstances change.

For the Wikimedia UK Board of Trustees,

Richard Symonds

Office & Development Manager

Wikimedia UK

--

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Our Registered Charity No. is 1144513. The Registered Office is 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.

Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

Charles Matthews

On 9 January 2012 12:37, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I imagine the Board feels it has discussed the matter properly. While I have plenty of background on this (from ArbCom and from personal contact), I'm not sure I know the definition of a "chapter-run" event.

Charles

Re: Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

Peter Cohen-2
Excuse me but is the board really saying that Dr Buckner is a security
risk? That makes him sound like an axe murderer or something.

I can understand your saying that you might not want him to take advantage
of events you organise if he is actively gunning for your organisation.
But as far as I know that is only metaphorical violence.

Maybe there is something I don't know but this sounds like a panic measure
in reaction to his threat of going to the Charity Commission and to my
letter of this morning to the Joint Committee about problems I perceive in
the evidence submitted to it.

Peter Cohen

> All,
>

> Several respected members of the Wikimedia community - and several
> members
> of our charity - have approached us voicing their concerns about
> Edward
> Buckner, an ex-Wikipedia user who was banned from the project for
> harassing
> volunteers on and off Wikipedia. Given his past and present
> conduct, which
> includes harassment and publishing personal details of Wikimedians,
> we do
> not feel that we can guarantee the security of our volunteers if he
> is permitted to attend our events.
>

> To that end, Wikimedia UK have banned Dr Buckner (known on
> Wikipedia as
> User:Peter Damian) from attending any Chapter-run events (not
> including the
> London meetups) until further notice. Dr Buckner is, of course,
> still
> welcome to communicate with the charity through email and post, and
> this ban
> is subject to review in future if circumstances change.
>

> For the Wikimedia UK Board of Trustees,
>

> Richard Symonds
>
> Office & Development Manager
>
> Wikimedia UK
>

> --
>
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company
> Limited by
> Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
> Our
> Registered Charity No. is 1144513. The Registered Office is 4th
> Floor,
> Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
>
> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
> responsibility for its
> contents.
>

> Visit  <http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/> http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/
> and
> @wikimediauk

Re: Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

Thomas Dalton
On 9 January 2012 23:34, Peter Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excuse me but is the board really saying that Dr Buckner is a security
> risk? That makes him sound like an axe murderer or something.

As mentioned, he has a history of "outing" people. I imagine it is in
that sense that he is considered a security risk (I've not discussed
this decision with anyone on the board, so I'm just speculating based
on what I know of the board). Some people like to keep their real life
identities secret and that is a little difficult when meeting people
in person. You need to be able to trust the people you are meeting.

Re: [Functionaries-en] Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

AGK-3
Peter,

The additional issues with Buckner, who routinely tries to uncover the identity of Wikipedians who are in high-profile roles, mean it is quite appropriate to ban him from these events.

Nobody said he was a "security risk", but it is the case that he has caused stress among many editors for no other reason than that he can. A subset of these editors have resigned because of Buckner/Damian. He should not be welcome at WMUK events because of his behaviour, period. It astounds me that you don't acknowledge the ongoing issues with this man's actions.

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Jan 2012, at 23:34, [hidden email] (Peter Cohen) wrote:

> Excuse me but is the board really saying that Dr Buckner is a security
> risk? That makes him sound like an axe murderer or something.
>
> I can understand your saying that you might not want him to take advantage
> of events you organise if he is actively gunning for your organisation.
> But as far as I know that is only metaphorical violence.
>
> Maybe there is something I don't know but this sounds like a panic measure
> in reaction to his threat of going to the Charity Commission and to my
> letter of this morning to the Joint Committee about problems I perceive in
> the evidence submitted to it.
>
> Peter Cohen
>

>> All,
>>

>> Several respected members of the Wikimedia community - and several
>> members
>> of our charity - have approached us voicing their concerns about
>> Edward
>> Buckner, an ex-Wikipedia user who was banned from the project for
>> harassing
>> volunteers on and off Wikipedia. Given his past and present
>> conduct, which
>> includes harassment and publishing personal details of Wikimedians,
>> we do
>> not feel that we can guarantee the security of our volunteers if he
>> is permitted to attend our events.
>>

>> To that end, Wikimedia UK have banned Dr Buckner (known on
>> Wikipedia as
>> User:Peter Damian) from attending any Chapter-run events (not
>> including the
>> London meetups) until further notice. Dr Buckner is, of course,
>> still
>> welcome to communicate with the charity through email and post, and
>> this ban
>> is subject to review in future if circumstances change.
>>

>> For the Wikimedia UK Board of Trustees,
>>

>> Richard Symonds
>>
>> Office & Development Manager
>>
>> Wikimedia UK
>>

>> --
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company
>> Limited by
>> Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
>> Our
>> Registered Charity No. is 1144513. The Registered Office is 4th
>> Floor,
>> Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
>> operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
>> responsibility for its
>> contents.
>>

>> Visit  <http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/> http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/
>> and
>> @wikimediauk

Re: [Functionaries-en] Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

AGK-3
To be clear, by "security" I presume the meaning was the identity of Wikimedians. By attending these events, Damian can see and photograph pseudonymous individuals. Not, really, that the specific wording matters one jot.

A.

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Jan 2012, at 23:34, [hidden email] (Peter Cohen) wrote:

> Excuse me but is the board really saying that Dr Buckner is a security
> risk? That makes him sound like an axe murderer or something.
>
> I can understand your saying that you might not want him to take advantage
> of events you organise if he is actively gunning for your organisation.
> But as far as I know that is only metaphorical violence.
>
> Maybe there is something I don't know but this sounds like a panic measure
> in reaction to his threat of going to the Charity Commission and to my
> letter of this morning to the Joint Committee about problems I perceive in
> the evidence submitted to it.
>
> Peter Cohen
>

>> All,
>>

>> Several respected members of the Wikimedia community - and several
>> members
>> of our charity - have approached us voicing their concerns about
>> Edward
>> Buckner, an ex-Wikipedia user who was banned from the project for
>> harassing
>> volunteers on and off Wikipedia. Given his past and present
>> conduct, which
>> includes harassment and publishing personal details of Wikimedians,
>> we do
>> not feel that we can guarantee the security of our volunteers if he
>> is permitted to attend our events.
>>

>> To that end, Wikimedia UK have banned Dr Buckner (known on
>> Wikipedia as
>> User:Peter Damian) from attending any Chapter-run events (not
>> including the
>> London meetups) until further notice. Dr Buckner is, of course,
>> still
>> welcome to communicate with the charity through email and post, and
>> this ban
>> is subject to review in future if circumstances change.
>>

>> For the Wikimedia UK Board of Trustees,
>>

>> Richard Symonds
>>
>> Office & Development Manager
>>
>> Wikimedia UK
>>

>> --
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company
>> Limited by
>> Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
>> Our
>> Registered Charity No. is 1144513. The Registered Office is 4th
>> Floor,
>> Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
>> operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
>> responsibility for its
>> contents.
>>

>> Visit  <http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/> http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/
>> and
>> @wikimediauk

Re: Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

Richard Symonds-3
Firstly, this is my own view, not that of the chapter's. That said, I do
have a bit of inside knowledge from both the chapter and my time on ArbCom,
which I've drawn on to some degree here.

--
AGK and Charles Matthews, as well as a few others, will be well aware of the
full history - but in short, Tom and AGK are right when they say that

Buckner attending events was something that several members and UK-based
Wikimedians did contact us about, and he was banned not because he's
criticising us, but because we can't trust him to keep the identities of our
members secret when our members ask to remain anonymous.  Neither is it a
knee-jerk reaction to Peter Cohen's (or Buckner's) letter: the decision to
ban was taken a while ago, but was only made public today. The timing is a
coincidence.

As to 'safety', people's physical safety is not in question - but their
privacy is. Being forcibly 'outed' is a traumatic experience for anyone.
Many of you know that we have editors - and members - who wish to remain
anonymous, for good reason. Some are under 18. Several would lose their jobs
if they were outed - and once the information is public, it's very, very
difficult to remove it.  Given Buckner's past history, it's clear that he
cannot be trusted with keeping the identities of those whom he meets secret.
We have a duty to our members to make sure that they feel safe and welcome
at real-life events, and several people have stated to us that they simply
wouldn't feel safe or welcome at the same event as Dr Buckner.

Peter (or anyone else): if you would like to meet me at some point in the
future, I will take you through Buckner's history on-wiki, and the reasons
he was banned from Wikipedia. I will also happily take you through some of
my own experiences of being (incorrectly) outed on Wikipedia Review,
including the real life repercussions on me, my family, and my job.

Finally, I know that some people share the same concerns as Buckner about
our charitable status, but we welcome constructive criticism of what we're
doing. That's how Wikipedia works, after all - discussion. Several Wikipedia
Review members have been in touch with us, politely and openly, with their
concerns - most of them have done so on-wiki. Those people have not been
banned, and will not be banned as long as they're polite, honest, and open.
But what is not acceptable is creating an atmosphere in which people feel
unable to attend real-life events or contribute to the projects because of
the actions of a single person. Having such a suspicious atmosphere damages
our goal of 'free knowledge for all', and makes it very difficult to have
inclusive events that anyone can attend.

Richard Symonds

On 9 January 2012 23:34, Peter Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excuse me but is the board really saying that Dr Buckner is a security
> risk? That makes him sound like an axe murderer or something.

As mentioned, he has a history of "outing" people. I imagine it is in that
sense that he is considered a security risk (I've not discussed this
decision with anyone on the board, so I'm just speculating based on what I
know of the board). Some people like to keep their real life identities
secret and that is a little difficult when meeting people in person. You
need to be able to trust the people you are meeting.

Re: Edward Buckner/Peter Damian & Wikimedia UK

michael west-3
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>

> Several respected members of the Wikimedia community – and several members
> of our charity – have approached us voicing their concerns about Edward
> Buckner, an ex-Wikipedia user who was banned from the project for harassing
> volunteers on and off Wikipedia. Given his past and present conduct, which
> includes harassment and publishing personal details of Wikimedians, we do
> not feel that we can guarantee the security of our volunteers if he is
> permitted to attend our events.
>

> To that end, Wikimedia UK have banned Dr Buckner (known on Wikipedia as
> User:Peter Damian) from attending any Chapter-run events (not including the
> London meetups) until further notice. Dr Buckner is, of course, still
> welcome to communicate with the charity through email and post, and this ban
> is subject to review in future if circumstances change.
>

> For the Wikimedia UK Board of Trustees,
>

> Richard Symonds
>
> Office & Development Manager
>
> Wikimedia UK

It all seems very strange. It reminds me of Gerry Healy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Healy) when he was kicked out of
The Labour Party photographing delegates outside the conference. or
the "Don't tell him Spike" scene in Dad's Army.

In terms of WP:COI editors are frequently outed, so are one set of
editors allowed to remain completely anonymous and others not? I've
been part of the project for 8 years and even being part of the email
lists leaves you vulnerable to outside scrutiny.

If the harassment is tangible then bring it to the notice of the
authorities. Otherwise this is the most bizarre communication I have
ever read in a public list.

Michael West