Election results?

Austin Hair
It's now the afternoon of the 17th (UTC), and this list—of which I
have the dubious distinction of being custodian—hasn't seen a single
thread about the WMF board election results.

I'm honestly not sure if I should be proud of or disappointed with you
guys. In any case, I beg your forgiveness when I myself ask:

What are the results, and why haven't they been released yet?

Austin

Re: Election results?

Thomas Morton
Latest update from the election officials:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk%3ABoard_elections%2F2011&action=historysubmit&diff=2667116&oldid=2666426
*
*
Tom
*
*
On 17 June 2011 12:53, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's now the afternoon of the 17th (UTC), and this list—of which I
> have the dubious distinction of being custodian—hasn't seen a single
> thread about the WMF board election results.
>
> I'm honestly not sure if I should be proud of or disappointed with you
> guys. In any case, I beg your forgiveness when I myself ask:
>
> What are the results, and why haven't they been released yet?
>
> Austin

Re: Election results?

MZMcBride-2

Matanya wrote:
> I'm really sorry no word was said until now, but we have some technical
> problems. We have been working on them for last 24h, and hope they are
> solved. I hope (no guarantees), that results will be out in the next 24h.
> Sorry Matanya 14:14, 16 June 2011 (UTC)

Source: http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=2667116&oldid=2666426

Naturally I assume "technical problems" is a euphemism.

The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
it's been unable to meet the deadline. Pages such as
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en> have simply
seen their verb tense shifted. For something of this importance, the whole
situation is really rather unacceptable.

MZMcBride

Re: Election results?

Harel Cain
Yes, I find this situation, especially on the part of the election
committee, as something between a sign of disrespect and a sign of
indifference.
I think the thousands of voters and the 19 candidates, who have spent a lot
of time in their pursuing their candidacy, deserve better than this.

Can someone from the election committee give us a better status report?

Harel Cain
Wikimedia Israel / Hebrew Wikipedia

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 15:06, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Austin Hair wrote:
> > What are the results, and why haven't they been released yet?
>
> Matanya wrote:
> > I'm really sorry no word was said until now, but we have some technical
> > problems. We have been working on them for last 24h, and hope they are
> > solved. I hope (no guarantees), that results will be out in the next 24h.
> > Sorry Matanya 14:14, 16 June 2011 (UTC)
>
> Source: http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=2667116&oldid=2666426
>
> Naturally I assume "technical problems" is a euphemism.
>
> The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
> setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
> it's been unable to meet the deadline. Pages such as
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en> have
> simply
> seen their verb tense shifted. For something of this importance, the whole
> situation is really rather unacceptable.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: Election results?

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/6/17 Austin Hair <[hidden email]>:
> It's now the afternoon of the 17th (UTC), and this list—of which I
> have the dubious distinction of being custodian—hasn't seen a single
> thread about the WMF board election results.
>
> I'm honestly not sure if I should be proud of or disappointed with you
> guys.

Proud :)

2011/6/17 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:
> The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
> setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
> it's been unable to meet the deadline.

It may be true, but please calm down. They are volunteers, too.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Election results?

Thehelpfulone
Update from Mardetanha:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=2669988&oldid=2669838&rcid=2608446

"As far as I can say, we are very hopeful that we can announce the results
within several hours, we are almost done
*Mardetanha*<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mardetanha>
 talk <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Mardetanha> 13:24, 17 June
2011 (UTC)"

Thehelpfulone

On 17 June 2011 13:36, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/6/17 Austin Hair <[hidden email]>:
> > It's now the afternoon of the 17th (UTC), and this list—of which I
> > have the dubious distinction of being custodian—hasn't seen a single
> > thread about the WMF board election results.
> >
> > I'm honestly not sure if I should be proud of or disappointed with you
> > guys.
>
> Proud :)
>
> 2011/6/17 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:
> > The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either
> in
> > setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating
> why
> > it's been unable to meet the deadline.
>
> It may be true, but please calm down. They are volunteers, too.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> "We're living in pieces,
>  I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Thehelpfulone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone

Re: Election results?

MZMcBride-2
Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> 2011/6/17 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:
>> The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
>> setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
>> it's been unable to meet the deadline.
>
> It may be true, but please calm down. They are volunteers, too.

I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to mailing
lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.

MZMcBride

Re: Election results?

Jan-Bart de Vreede-2
Hello Everyone,

As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.

Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.

Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)

That being said, I think you will not have to wait much longer. The election committee is taking the final steps towards publishing the results.

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Board Liaison Election Committee

On Jun 17, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:

> 2011/6/17 Austin Hair <[hidden email]>:
>> It's now the afternoon of the 17th (UTC), and this list—of which I
>> have the dubious distinction of being custodian—hasn't seen a single
>> thread about the WMF board election results.
>>
>> I'm honestly not sure if I should be proud of or disappointed with you
>> guys.
>
> Proud :)
>
> 2011/6/17 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:
>> The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
>> setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
>> it's been unable to meet the deadline.
>
> It may be true, but please calm down. They are volunteers, too.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> "We're living in pieces,
>  I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Election results?

Joe Gazz84
On 6/17/2011 9:31 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>
> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>
> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)
>
> That being said, I think you will not have to wait much longer. The election committee is taking the final steps towards publishing the results.
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
> Board Liaison Election Committee

Thank you for this update, we appreciate it. I am disappointed that
these potential problems weren't thought about previously when choosing
to use a third-party. In the future, I think we need to come up with a
list of potential problems to prevent situations like this.

--
Joe Gazz84 - Wikimedia Wikis
Home Wiki: ENWP (Retired)

Re: Election results?

Domas Mituzas
Hi!

> I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to mailing
> lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.

I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.

Domas

Re: Election results?

Jan-Bart de Vreede-2
Hi

Just to make sure we don't jump to the wrong conclusion.

This is my fourth Board election. Every time we have relied on Software in the Public Interest (http://www.spi-inc.org/) do be the trusted third party. Every time they have been extremely fast and flexible in their volunteer services towards us. I am extremely grateful for all that they have done.

But when a call for volunteers is made, and their timezones differ from each other, the office (and tech support) and SPI-Inc, that complicates matters when several checks are needed to confirm and verify.

Jan-Bart

On Jun 17, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Joe Gazz84 wrote:

> On 6/17/2011 9:31 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>>
>> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>>
>> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)
>>
>> That being said, I think you will not have to wait much longer. The election committee is taking the final steps towards publishing the results.
>>
>> Jan-Bart de Vreede
>> Board Liaison Election Committee

> Thank you for this update, we appreciate it. I am disappointed that
> these potential problems weren't thought about previously when choosing
> to use a third-party. In the future, I think we need to come up with a
> list of potential problems to prevent situations like this.
>
> --
> Joe Gazz84 - Wikimedia Wikis
> Home Wiki: ENWP (Retired)
>            Meta
>            Commons
> If you need to contact me, please use "reply" and make sure the email goes to [hidden email]

Re: Election results?

Nathan Awrich
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just to make sure we don't jump to the wrong conclusion.
>
> This is my fourth Board election. Every time we have relied on Software in the Public Interest (http://www.spi-inc.org/) do be the trusted third party. Every time they have been extremely fast and flexible in their volunteer services towards us. I am extremely grateful for all that they have done.
>
> But when a call for volunteers is made, and their timezones differ from each other, the office (and tech support) and SPI-Inc, that complicates matters when several checks are needed to confirm and verify.
>
> Jan-Bart

Perfectly reasonable. Best way to forestall criticism in future
elections is to just be open and communicative -- before the results
are late.

Re: Election results?

Jan-Bart de Vreede-2
Fully agreed :)

On Jun 17, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Nathan wrote:

> Perfectly reasonable. Best way to forestall criticism in future
> elections is to just be open and communicative -- before the results
> are late.

Re: Election results?

Austin Hair
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>
> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>
> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)

It shouldn't be thankless, so let me express my sincere appreciation
to Abbas, Jon, Mardetanha, Matanya, and Ryan. I know that it's not
easy, and I know that getting it right is more important than getting
it fast.

I won't speak for anyone else's motivations, but let me be clear that
I was only looking for something, anything, updating us on an overdue
deadline that many of us—the candidates, surely not the least—are
eagerly awaiting.

And yes, it's easy to let personal curiosity get overtaken by a
feeling of righteous indignation, but I have to say that a message
from ElecCom would have been really nice.

Austin

Re: Election results?

Joe Gazz84
On 6/17/2011 10:01 AM, Austin Hair wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>>
>> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>>
>> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)
> It shouldn't be thankless, so let me express my sincere appreciation
> to Abbas, Jon, Mardetanha, Matanya, and Ryan. I know that it's not
> easy, and I know that getting it right is more important than getting
> it fast.
>
> I won't speak for anyone else's motivations, but let me be clear that
> I was only looking for something, anything, updating us on an overdue
> deadline that many of us—the candidates, surely not the least—are
> eagerly awaiting.
>
> And yes, it's easy to let personal curiosity get overtaken by a
> feeling of righteous indignation, but I have to say that a message
> from ElecCom would have been really nice.
>
> Austin

I too fully appreciate the committee, I never meant to come across where
I didn't appreciate them. There is absolutely no way that this election
could be done without this committee. This shouldn't be a thankless
committee. I just was not fully aware of the reasons for the late
results, now that I am, it makes it much easier to understand.

--
Joe Gazz84 - Wikimedia Wikis
Home Wiki: ENWP (Retired)

Domas Mituzas wrote:
>> I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to
>> mailing lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.
>
> I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.

Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have something useful to
say.

MZMcBride

Re: Election results?

Austin Hair
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Domas Mituzas wrote:
>>> I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to
>>> mailing lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.
>>
>> I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.
>
> Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have something useful to
> say.

Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from me.

Austin

Re: Election results?

Harel Cain
I only want to rephrase what I said back at the beginning of the thread:
it's perfectly understandable if things run late (huh, Wikimania taught me
this first hand). It's just that little one-sentence update on the results
page that was missing and would have spared us this thread.

Now, some more patience - I'll go drink something :)

Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem,

Harel

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 17:09, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> though.
> >>
> >> I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.
> >
> > Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have something useful to
> > say.
>
> Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from me.
>
> Austin

Re: Election results?

theo10011
Results are out.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en

Theo

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Harel Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I only want to rephrase what I said back at the beginning of the thread:
> it's perfectly understandable if things run late (huh, Wikimania taught me
> this first hand). It's just that little one-sentence update on the results
> page that was missing and would have spared us this thread.
>
> Now, some more patience - I'll go drink something :)
>

> Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem,
>
> Harel
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 17:09, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > though.

> > > Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have something useful
> > > say.
> >
> > Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from me.
> >
> > Austin

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Re: Election results?

Nathan Awrich
Congrats Ting, Sj and Kat on your re-election.