Enable COLLADA file format uploads?

Erik Moeller-3
Michael Tiemann and the Blender folks support the use of COLLADA as a
standard 3D format on Wikipedia:

http://www.blendernation.com/2006/09/08/proposal-for-a-standard-3d-format-on-wikipedia/

The extension is .dae. Is there a good reason not to do this?
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Re: Enable COLLADA file format uploads?

Gregory Maxwell
> Michael Tiemann and the Blender folks support the use of COLLADA as a
> standard 3D format on Wikipedia:
> http://www.blendernation.com/2006/09/08/proposal-for-a-standard-3d-format-on-wikipedia/
>
> The extension is .dae. Is there a good reason not to do this?

Uploading it? Sure... I thought we already allowed .blend files, but
it appears that we do not.

But since the browsers can't view it... whats the point?

It's not like we're going to start widely illustrating articles with
content that only works for a tiny fraction of the browsers out
there... and sadly this isn't something that we can easily server side
rasterize like svg.

Re: Enable COLLADA file format uploads?

David Gerard-2
On 10/09/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Uploading it? Sure... I thought we already allowed .blend files, but
> it appears that we do not.
> But since the browsers can't view it... whats the point?

Putting it on Commons, presumably. Which is full of Vorbis and Theora
which requires a software guide.

- d.

Re: Enable COLLADA file format uploads?

Simetrical
On 9/9/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But since the browsers can't view it... whats the point?
>
> It's not like we're going to start widely illustrating articles with
> content that only works for a tiny fraction of the browsers out
> there... and sadly this isn't something that we can easily server side
> rasterize like svg.

Well, it would surely be handy for any animation Wikibooks.  Beyond
that, I can't see any purpose until someone writes a Java applet or
something (do *any* browsers support its native display?), but there's
no harm in letting them accumulate on Commons in anticipation of that
day's possible arrival sometime in the future.

Re: Enable COLLADA file format uploads?

Simetrical
> Putting it on Commons, presumably. Which is full of Vorbis and Theora
> which requires a software guide.

Although those should be playable from the browser sometime soon,
because we *do* have a Java (and some other language too) OGG-player
in the works.  It was one of the SOC projects, and the author has said
he plans on seeing it through.  Maybe the same next year for .dae.  :)

On 9/10/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Uploading it? Sure... I thought we already allowed .blend files, but
> it appears that we do not.
>
> But since the browsers can't view it... whats the point?

I presume .dea files would mostly be uploaded in conjunction with
rendered animations and images and thereby allow people to creative
derivative works (re-rendering with a different perspective, modifying
the model, using it in different contexts, etc.). "Use the source,
Luke." ;-)

On 9/9/06, Simetrical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/9/06, Gregory Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > But since the browsers can't view it... whats the point?
> >
> > It's not like we're going to start widely illustrating articles with
> > content that only works for a tiny fraction of the browsers out
> > there... and sadly this isn't something that we can easily server side
> > rasterize like svg.
>
> Well, it would surely be handy for any animation Wikibooks.  Beyond
> that, I can't see any purpose until someone writes a Java applet or
> something (do *any* browsers support its native display?), but there's
> no harm in letting them accumulate on Commons in anticipation of that
> day's possible arrival sometime in the future.

The plugin is at
http://continuousphysics.com/Blender2.42Webplugin.html ... I recall
the plugin being IE only, however.

Java is no means a magic bullet. A large percentage of our readers
have no java installed what so ever (approx 19%) and many also have
only an anchient version of java without even javasound support
(approx 17%).

From: David Gerard <[hidden email]>
>Putting it on Commons, presumably. Which is full of Vorbis and
>Theora which requires a software guide.

Well, some systems have vorbis and theora already installed (for
example, any modern linux distro)....  and no matter what you run,
installing support is trivial.  As far as I'm aware there is not yet a
plugin available for any of my systems for the collada files, though I
suppose I could just view them in blender.

As I said, I have no opposition to uploading them, in fact we should
probably enable that right away.... I just can't get excited over
something we're not going to be able to actually use any time soon.

In any case, Guess you don't pay too much attention to audio on
enwiki... :) We now have an experimental java based player for Vorbis.
Although java isn't a teriffic solution by itself (see my comment
above)...