Encarta is dead

Milos Rancic-2
Encarta is dead [1]. Anyone willing to talk with Microsoft about
getting materials for Wikipedia?

[1] - http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html

Re: Encarta is dead

shi zhao
Oh, M$........

2009/3/31 Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>

> Encarta is dead [1]. Anyone willing to talk with Microsoft about
> getting materials for Wikipedia?
>
> [1] - http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://shizhao.org
twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Re: Encarta is dead

Michael Snow-3
Milos Rancic wrote:
> Encarta is dead [1]. Anyone willing to talk with Microsoft about
> getting materials for Wikipedia?
>
> [1] - http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html

There's already some effort being made by the Communications Committee
to reach out.

--Michael Snow

Re: Encarta is dead

David Moran-3
Well wow.

FMF

2009/3/31 shi zhao <[hidden email]>

> Oh, M$........
>
> 2009/3/31 Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>
>
> > Encarta is dead [1]. Anyone willing to talk with Microsoft about
> > getting materials for Wikipedia?
> >
> > [1] - http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html

> Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
> My blog: http://shizhao.org
> twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao
>
> [[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Re: Encarta is dead

Maria Fanucchi
RIP Encarta.
For better or for worse, it was for many people, especially children, the
first encyclopedia they ever encountered. It may eventually have sparked the
interest of, and inspired, more than a few Wikipedians.
Let's hope some of their material can be released (I'm hoping specifically
for some of the multimedia, such as snippets of music made with rare
instruments, and the sound files of letters, numbers and various phrases
said in many languages, by native speakers).
Maria
[[User:Arria Belli]]

2009/3/31 David Moran <[hidden email]>

> Well wow.
>
> FMF
>

> 2009/3/31 shi zhao <[hidden email]>
>
> > Oh, M$........
> >
> > 2009/3/31 Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Encarta is dead [1]. Anyone willing to talk with Microsoft about
> > > getting materials for Wikipedia?
> > >
> > > [1] - http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html

> > Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
> > My blog: http://shizhao.org
> > twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao
> >
> > [[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Re: Encarta is dead

Ziko van Dijk
The Encarta people were very unprecise about what they are going to do in
future...
So, this means that there remains no big encyclopedia but ours? Except
Britannica? And what about the situation in French, Italian etc., has anyone
an overview about that?
Then I also ask myself in how far this evolution is to be credited mainly to
Wikipedia, or has it been "the Internet" in general that killed the
dead-tree-encyclopedias. I remember that in 1999 or 2000 I already did not
buy a paper encyclopedia because of the Internet.
Kind regards
Ziko

2009/3/31 Maria Fanucchi <[hidden email]>

> RIP Encarta.
> For better or for worse, it was for many people, especially children, the
> first encyclopedia they ever encountered. It may eventually have sparked
> the
> interest of, and inspired, more than a few Wikipedians.
> Let's hope some of their material can be released (I'm hoping specifically
> for some of the multimedia, such as snippets of music made with rare
> instruments, and the sound files of letters, numbers and various phrases
> said in many languages, by native speakers).
> Maria
> [[User:Arria Belli]]
>
> 2009/3/31 David Moran <[hidden email]>
>
> > Well wow.
> >
> > FMF
> >

> > 2009/3/31 shi zhao <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Oh, M$........

> > > --
> > > Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
> > > My blog: http://shizhao.org
> > > twitter: https://twitter.com/shizhao
> > >
> > > [[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde

Re: Encarta is dead

Amir Elisha Aharoni
2009/3/31 Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>:
> So, this means that there remains no big encyclopedia but ours? Except
> Britannica? And what about the situation in French, Italian etc., has anyone
> an overview about that?

Enciclopèdia Catalana [1] is a very good free-as-in-beer online
encyclopedia in the Catalan Language. Many of its articles about
Catalan culture are also translated into English. (To see if an
article has an English version, click the "Encyclopaedia" button.) The
same company also offers at least three comprehensive dictionaries -
the general monolingual Gran Diccionari (complete with full
conjugations and etymologies), the excellent DIDAC for children [2],
and Multilingüe - Catalan-Spanish-German-English-French [3]. I don't
understand how do they do it without any advertising. Maybe the
government helps it, but that is just a guess.

Anyway, the fact is that it is a strong competitor against the Catalan
Wikipedia and Wiktionary and it is also a strong competitor against
English Wikipedia for people who seek information about Catalan
culture.

So the answer is No - not all major encyclopedias are dead, and that
is a Good Thing.

[1] www.grec.cat
[2] http://www.grec.net/cgibin/esc00.pgm/
[3] http://www.grec.cat/cgibin/mlt00.pgm

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com
cat: http://aprenent.wordpress.com | rus: http://amire80.livejournal.com

"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Encarta is dead

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Encarta people were very unprecise about what they are going to do in
> future...
> So, this means that there remains no big encyclopedia but ours? Except
> Britannica? And what about the situation in French, Italian etc., has anyone
> an overview about that?
> Then I also ask myself in how far this evolution is to be credited mainly to
> Wikipedia, or has it been "the Internet" in general that killed the
> dead-tree-encyclopedias. I remember that in 1999 or 2000 I already did not
> buy a paper encyclopedia because of the Internet.

As a young student of linguistics I was interested in Sumerian
language. In 1996 I went to the National library of Serbia and took
Britannica's 1995 edition. So, I've got the next references:

* Arno Poebel, Grundzüge der sumerischen Grammatik (1923), partly out
of date, but still the only full grammar of Sumerian in all its
stages;
* Adam Falkenstein, Grammatik der Sprache Gudeas von Lagaš, 2 vol.
(1949–50), a very thorough grammar of the New Sumerian dialect,
* Das Sumerische (1959), a very brief but comprehensive survey of the
Sumerian language;
* Cyril J. Gadd, Sumerian Reading Book (1924), outdated but the only
grammatical tool in English;
* Samuel N. Kramer, The Sumerians (1963), provides a general
introduction to Sumerian civilization.

Anecdote around this is that I was very confident in my linguistic
knowledge and that I thought that I am able to understand
linguistically German from 1923 (Arno Poebel's book). So, I went to
the Library of Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts and asked them to
make an inter-library borrowing from some German library. With a lot
of enthusiasm I've started to read it... Of course, it was a complete
disaster: I wasn't able to take any information. Copy of that book is
still somewhere in my library.

One year later, in 1997, I tried to find something about Sumerian
language at the net. Hm. I found at least two sites with full grammars
of Sumerian dialects. So, I've finished with [traditional]
encyclopedias.

BTW, the list of references above is from Britannica's [present]
online edition [1]. Nothing was changed since 1995 edition. I remember
well the list.

References from the English Wikipedia's article [2] are:

* Edzard, Dietz Otto (2003). Sumerian Grammar. Leiden: Brill. ISBN
90-04-12608-2.  (grammar treatment for the advanced student)
* Thomsen, Marie-Louise (2001) [1984]. The Sumerian Language: An
Introduction to Its History and Grammatical Structure. Copenhagen:
Akademisk Forlag. ISBN 87-500-3654-8.  (Well-organized with over 800
translated text excerpts.)
* Diakonoff, I. M. (1976). "Ancient Writing and Ancient Written
Language: Pitfalls and Peculiarities in the Study of Sumerian".
Assyriological Studies 20 (Sumerological Studies in Honor of Thorkild
Jakobsen): 99–121.
* Rubio, Gonzalo (2007). "Sumerian Morphology." In Morphologies of
Asia and Africa, vol. 2, pp. 1327-1379. Edited by Alan S. Kaye..
Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns. ISBN 1-57506-109-0.
* Attinger, Pascal (1993). Eléments de linguistique sumérienne: La
construction de du11/e/di. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck&Ruprecht. ISBN
37-2780-869-1.
* Volk, Konrad (1997). A Sumerian Reader. Rome: Pontificio Istituto
Biblico. ISBN 88-7653-610-8.  (collection of Sumerian texts)
* Michalowski, Piotr, 'Sumerian as an Ergative Language', Journal of
Cuneiform Studies 32 (1980), 86-103.

[1] - http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/573229/Sumerian-language
[2] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumerian_language

Re: Encarta is dead

Waerth
Tomorrow is April 1st .......

> [...]
> translated text excerpts.)
> * Diakonoff, I. M. (1976). "Ancient Writing and Ancient Written
> Language: Pitfalls and Peculiarities in the Study of Sumerian".
> Assyriological Studies 20 (Sumerological Studies in Honor of Thorkild
> Jakobsen): 99–121.
> * Rubio, Gonzalo (2007). "Sumerian Morphology." In Morphologies of
> Asia and Africa, vol. 2, pp. 1327-1379. Edited by Alan S. Kaye..
> Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns. ISBN 1-57506-109-0.
> * Attinger, Pascal (1993). Eléments de linguistique sumérienne: La
> construction de du11/e/di. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck&Ruprecht. ISBN
> 37-2780-869-1.
> * Volk, Konrad (1997). A Sumerian Reader. Rome: Pontificio Istituto
> Biblico. ISBN 88-7653-610-8.  (collection of Sumerian texts)
> * Michalowski, Piotr, 'Sumerian as an Ergative Language', Journal of

Domas Mituzas
> Tomorrow is April 1st .......

what is special about it? gmail birthday?

--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Encarta is dead

Ryan Kaldari
Maybe we could use that $20,000 that Philip Greenspun donated back in
2007 to purchase the Encarta illustrations (since it doesn't appear
that that money is ever going to be used otherwise).

Ryan Kaldari

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Domas Mituzas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Tomorrow is April 1st .......
>

> what is special about it? gmail birthday?
>
> --
> Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Encarta is dead

David Levy-8
Ryan Kaldari wrote:

> Maybe we could use that $20,000 that Philip Greenspun donated back in
> 2007 to purchase the Encarta illustrations (since it doesn't appear
> that that money is ever going to be used otherwise).

$20,000 means practically nothing to Microsoft.  It's far more likely
that they could be persuaded to donate Encarta's content as a PR
gesture.  Of course, they might have other plans.

Re: Encarta is dead

Austin Hair
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Maria Fanucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> RIP Encarta.
> For better or for worse, it was for many people, especially children, the
> first encyclopedia they ever encountered. It may eventually have sparked the
> interest of, and inspired, more than a few Wikipedians.

The first encyclopedia I encountered was a supermarket set, published
by Grolier I think, made available one volume per week in 1991.  Every
grocery trip, my mother would buy me the next volume, and in a box
somewhere I still have the complete set—in fact, I used them to
fact-check some of my earliest Wikipedia articles, back when we were
still creating pages about the commonest of things, any new content
was a positive contribution, and we weren't quite so strict about
citing sources.

A few years later, my parents bought a copy of one of the first
editions of Encarta, distributed on a single CD-ROM.  "Multimedia" was
still a buzzword, and having audio sprinkled throughout—even video,
for select topics—was an amazing thing.  I grew up in an
anti-Microsoft household, and we ran Encarta under IBM OS/2, but
despite my prejudice, I couldn't help but find Encarta the greatest
thing ever.  I was disappointed when I had read every article in less
than a week, but the proof of concept was there.  (I don't think I
need to wax nostalgic any further; obviously, long story short, I got
here.)

So, yes, I do have some nostalgia for Encarta.  Its day is long gone,
and this is certainly overdue, but I've never really harbored any ill
will toward it.

> Let's hope some of their material can be released (I'm hoping specifically
> for some of the multimedia, such as snippets of music made with rare
> instruments, and the sound files of letters, numbers and various phrases
> said in many languages, by native speakers).

I second that.  Even now, when I think about Encarta, the first thing
that comes to mind is a recording they had of a Baroque piece played
on the harpsichord.  (Not that that's rare, but they did do a great
job deciding what pieces warranted multimedia presentation, and they
had some good ones.)

Austin

Re: Encarta is dead

Anthony-73
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Then I also ask myself in how far this evolution is to be credited mainly
> Wikipedia, or has it been "the Internet" in general that killed the
> dead-tree-encyclopedias.

The personal computer killed the dead-tree encyclopedia.  But Encarta wasn't
a dead-tree encyclopedia.

Whether Wikipedia, the Internet, or something else, killed the commercial
encyclopedia, is a more interesting question.  Maybe the US Department of
Justice's Antitrust Division will look into that one.  Hah, just kidding.
The whole purpose of the US Department of Justice's Antitrust Division is to
kill commerce.

Re: Encarta is dead

Brian J Mingus
I believe a careful reading of the FAQ, while a buzzkill, casts doubt on
Encarta's content being released:
"Microsoft's vision is that everyone around the world needs to have access
to quality education, and *we believe that we can use what we’ve learned and
assets we’ve accrued with offerings like Encarta to develop future
technology solutions*. In doing so, we feel strongly that we are making the
right investments that will help make our vision a reality."