End of competition day 1

bawolff
First day of competition saw lots of success. We had an even 30
articles published today (with quite a few more pending review.  29 of
the published articles appear to be contest related). To compare, on
day 2 of the first international wikinews writing contest (september
2, 2005) we had our previous record  [to my knowledge] of 24 articles.
There was some initial confusion about where to record the scores, but
they are now being recorded at
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Writing_contest_2010/Standings/log
and http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Writing_contest_2010/Standings
.

The top 3 at the end of day one:
Rank User               pts   articles
1 Tempodivalse 31 10
2 Bencherlite 27 5
3 Dendodge 21 3

(full list:  http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Writing_contest_2010/Standings
)

With a ~4 points pending for tempodivalse depending on how a combined
effort is divided up.

Also congratulations to Blood Red Sandman for opening the competition
with the article
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/%22Osama_to_Obama%22:_Bin_Laden_addresses_US_President

Good luck to all the competitors

p.s. Its not too late to join see
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Writing_contest_2010 for details
--
- Bawolff
Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85

Re: End of competition day 1

Jon Davis-5
I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents also.
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User:ShakataGaNai/ENWN_stats#Click_through_by_date

Out of curiosity I decided to pull stats on the number of click through's of enwn.net links.  The daily average for clicks is 603, yesterdays (Day 1 the competition) saw almost 5x times that amount, or 2913 clicks.  That is the most clicks in a single day so far.

Impressive day, keep up the good work.
-Jon

PS.  I'll try to remember to update these stats periodically through out the competition.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 17:00, bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]]
http://snowulf.com/ - Blog
http://snowulf.imagekind.com/ - Pictures
This has been a test of the emergency sig system.

Re: End of competition day 1

brian.mcneil-2
On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 21:00 -0400, bawolff wrote:

> The top 3 at the end of day one:
> Rank User               pts   articles
> 1 Tempodivalse 31 10
> 2 Bencherlite 27 5
> 3 Dendodge 21 3
>
> full list:  http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Writing_contest_2010/Standings

I was disappointed to see a focus on doing the absolute bare minimum to
write an article that qualifies for points. However, 30 articles is a
good tally for one day.

Tris should've shaken people up a little bit - I published his one entry
so far, an interview with the PRS. 26 points for a single article.

So far the niggles are: put {{review}} at the top; write more than the
minimum; find some pictures and correctly put them in articles per the
[[WN:SG]] (or be mocked on twitter).

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org

Re: End of competition day 1

Tristan Thomas-4
I agree that long stories are good, but also remember that it's very good if we can get lots of stories out so that when people come to Wikinews, they see, "Oh yes, that story is covered here; it's not some amateur, crappy, hit-and-miss news website".

On the other hand, we're no different if we don't have anything of our own!

But hey, 30 articles in a day is pretty damn good.  Anyone fancy some sweepstakes for the final competition total?!

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 14:08 +0000, Tristan Thomas wrote:

> I agree that long stories are good, but also remember that it's very
> good if we can get lots of stories out so that when people come to
> Wikinews, they see, "Oh yes, that story is covered here; it's not some
> amateur, crappy, hit-and-miss news website".
>
> On the other hand, we're no different if we don't have anything of our
> own!
>
> But hey, 30 articles in a day is pretty damn good.  Anyone fancy some
> sweepstakes for the final competition total?!
As expected, activity has tailed off today. And, regrettably, there's a
lot of sign-ups who've not put anything in yet.

My key objection to the bare-minimum articles is they will encourage
people to go elsewhere for details.

Next, I'd like to raise a few points I keep seeing when copyediting.

* Monday was yesterday - use the latter, not the former.
* At least 8 times out of 10 the word "that" can be omitted.
* Active voice invariably reads better.
* The narrative has to be coherent; yes, you may draw from what several
  sources identify as different stories, but make it clear how it is all
  interrelated.
* It is "BBC News Online"; look at the Wikipedia page this links to for
  the justification for this pet hate of mine.

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org