English Wikinews ArbCom Election

Erik Moeller-2
Hi,

an Arbitration Committee for the English Wikinews has been under
discussion since November 2005. There is wide agreement that it is
currently very difficult to enforce our policies like NPOV and
Wikiquette in borderline cases.

Due to a significant ongoing dispute, a proposal was recently made to
create a different system based on open voting. In the discussion, it
was generally agreed upon that an ArbCom is the lesser of two evils when
it comes to resolving disputes that cannot otherwise be addressed.

For this reason, after some discussion with Amgine (who formulated the
ArbCom policy), I have created
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Arbitration_Committee_elections_2006
to select the first 5 members of the committee (by broad consensus if
possible).

Please post comments and objections to the process on the talk page, and
to the general idea of an ArbCom on:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews_talk:Arbitration_Committee

The process is largely modeled after the one of the English Wikipedia.
Jimbo, if you would like to be involved in finalizing or modifying the
appointments, please speak up. :-)

Best,

Erik

Re: English Wikinews ArbCom Election

Amgine
There are currently 6 candidates for the ArbCom.

I would encourage everyone who has been involved with Wikinews to visit
discussion and make their opinions known.

Amgine

Erik Moeller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> an Arbitration Committee for the English Wikinews has been under
> discussion since November 2005. There is wide agreement that it is
> currently very difficult to enforce our policies like NPOV and
> Wikiquette in borderline cases.
>
> Due to a significant ongoing dispute, a proposal was recently made to
> create a different system based on open voting. In the discussion, it
> was generally agreed upon that an ArbCom is the lesser of two evils
> when it comes to resolving disputes that cannot otherwise be addressed.
>
> For this reason, after some discussion with Amgine (who formulated the
> ArbCom policy), I have created
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Arbitration_Committee_elections_2006
> to select the first 5 members of the committee (by broad consensus if
> possible).
>
> Please post comments and objections to the process on the talk page,
> and to the general idea of an ArbCom on:
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews_talk:Arbitration_Committee
>
> The process is largely modeled after the one of the English Wikipedia.
> Jimbo, if you would like to be involved in finalizing or modifying the
> appointments, please speak up. :-)
>
> Best,
>
> Erik

Re: English Wikinews ArbCom Election

mrmiscellanious
Where are these discussions on the candidates?  I see a few candidates
that have expressed their want to be on the committee, but I do not
see the actual discussion for whom may be on the committe in the
future ("pre-voting" stage).

-MrM