English Wikipedia productive efficiency

Aaron Halfaker-2
Hey folks,

This is long over due.  I did a presentation[1,2] at the research showcase more than a year ago (January 2016) that showed some fascinating productivity dynamics using content persistence measures[3].  Well, I've finally taken the material and fleshed out the report on Meta.

Here's some highlights:
  • Anonymous editors contribute substantially to overall productivity (15-25%); however, their proportion of overall contribution proportion has been steadily declining since the beginning of 2006
  • As Wikipedia declined in number of editors, efficiency increased at a rate that was proportional -- enough to maintain a nearly consistent overall level of productivity.  This means that Wikipedia has been getting more efficient
  • Tools and bots don't explain the increase in overall efficiency, but tool-assisted productive contributions are certainly on the rise.

Enjoy!
-Aaron