Error: "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes"

Error: "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes"

Thomas Klein-2
Hallo,

ich have problems with installation of the version 1.5.6.  My system ist
Windows XP and ich have MySQL 5.0.18-nt-log.

When i started the installation funktion, the function can't create the
table "categorylinks".

I get the error:  "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000
bytes"

Under MySQL 4.1.13-nt-log is that not a problem.

Now, i have change the table config to 78 charactars in "cl_sortkey
varchar(78) binary NOT NULL default '',".

Then installation is running.  I have read the documentation of MySQL and i
have read the limit is 1000 Byte not 1KByte.

My question is: What problems i have now with the short key?

Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen / Kind regards

Thomas  Klein