Even more creepy and stupid than you used to be.

Even more creepy and stupid than you used to be.

John Jackson
Today I discovered that John Maynard Smith had had his name spelled wrongly
(the old unnecessary hyphen) on a particular page.  I thought I'd fix
this.  Because the last time I tried to do something on wikipedia was about
5 years ago and I didn't know where I'd saved my wikipedia login details, I
tried to start a new account.

But I was told that I had some kind of universal block APPLIED TO MY IP
ADDRESS!  BUT I HAVEN'T ACCESSED WIKIPEDIA FROM THIS IP ADDRESS BEFORE!!

Also, the block was started last week and is supposed to continue until
next week!!!  Odd, if I haven't done anything on wikipedia for five years.

I have had to complain about idiotic editing by those who have taken power
without responsibility at wikipedia, and who have made sure that those of
my views they disagreed with were unthinkingly blocked, but this new issue
suggests I'm being hacked:

Here are the possible explanations:

1:  Suggesting I've done ANYTHING in the last few weeks is a complete
mistake.

2:  Some third party has commandeered my IP address and done something
which led to the IP address being blocked.

3:  Wikipedia have at some time in the last few years infiltrated my
internet usage, and identified me even though I'm using a different
computer and a different IP address from five years ago.  THEN, they've set
up some kind of sleeping block, to be triggered if and when I try to do
anything on wikipedia, pretending I'd done something the week before
whatever date I tried to log in.

I think it's time wikipedia's practices were investigated formally.  In the
absence of a complete explanation and apology within the next seven days I
shall be lodging a formal complain with my MP with a view to controlling
the behaviour of wikipedia editors.

And no, I'm not going to waste my time sorting through the Byzantine
structures of the complaints procedures of your "Now we're free and open -
Now we're a formal and structured" but always irresponsible organisation".

JJ

Re: Even more creepy and stupid than you used to be.

Ben Salvidrim
It would be helpful if you detailed what block is affecting you exactly. It sounds like a rangeblock has been enacted to prevent disruption from a user operating on multiple IPs in the same range as yours (assuming you don't have a static business IP?). If you are indeed not the target of the block, collateral damage sometimes happen when trying to protect the project, however there are ways to be able to edit if you are an unrelated user, and UTRS<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:UTRS> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:UTRS> exists precisely to help people in your situation.

If you want a "complete explanation" you need to tell the people who can help exactly what the problem is and not e-mail a generic mailing list about an unidentified block allegedly impacting you. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ben Landry
Salvidrim<http://www.salvidrim.net/>

โ€” English Wikipedia:  Seven years of editing experience ยท former Admin, SPI Clerk, OTRS, UTRS Ambassador<https://utrs.wmflabs.org/home.php>
โ€” Work: Sales & telco coordinator for Luminet<http://luminet.ca/> / Dimension<http://www.dimension10.ca/>10<http://www.dimension10.ca/>  +  Independent admin. assistant
โ€” Personal:   โ˜Ž 514-691-6738   โœ‰ sal<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>   โ‡„ https://www.linkedin.com/in/salvidrim/

<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Even more creepy and stupid than you used to be.

Maury Markowitz
> On Jun 20, 2018, at 10:01 AM, John Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it's time wikipedia's practices were investigated formally.

Perhaps. But I also think it's generally a good idea to make sure we know what *the actual problem is* before trying to fix it.

Lacking any details about your username or IP, I can't be of much further assistance. If you wish to pursue this, feel free to send me either or both to me in a private email.

Maury

Re: Even more creepy and stupid than you used to be.

Maury Markowitz
> On Jun 20, 2018, at 11:08 AM, John Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is what I was presented with.

It is pretty clear in the message that this is a range block enacted because someone was vandalizing multiple wiki sites.

It wasn't you. It doesn't even have to be someone near you. IP addresses are grouped by organization, generally, so it was simply someone else on the same internet provider (or university, business, etc.)

> And I consider that I am now communicating with wikipedia, and I do want an explanation and an apology.

Indeed, you should track down the original vandal that is responsible for this and demand an explanation and apology from them.

Re: Even more creepy and stupid than you used to be.

metasj
This thread captures everything I love about Wikipedia (and -l)
Kindness, boiling energy, dry humor, punctilious punctuation.