Everything okay?

MZMcBride
No posts in over half a day. Is everyone simply scared?

MZMcBride

Re: Everything okay?

Austin Hair
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No posts in over half a day. Is everyone simply scared?

The list is open for traffic, and there are no pending moderation
requests.  I think everyone's simply respecting the now more
heavily-enforced atmosphere of only posting when you have something
good to say.

Austin

Re: Everything okay?

M. Williamson
Half a day? Is that really so bad? I would be worried if there were no posts
for a week. Obviously there isn't as much traffic as before but I would
personally wait longer before sending out e-mails asking why there are no
messages.

Mark

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No posts in over half a day. Is everyone simply scared?
>
> MZMcBride

Re: Everything okay?

Tim Starling-2
Austin Hair wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No posts in over half a day. Is everyone simply scared?
>
> The list is open for traffic, and there are no pending moderation
> requests.  I think everyone's simply respecting the now more
> heavily-enforced atmosphere of only posting when you have something
> good to say.

Internal-l is pretty active, with 5 posts in the same period, and
there's been a few topics on wikien-l in the last few days which might
have been posted here instead if they came up a week ago. I think
we're seeing more of a choice of forum than respect for the moderators.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Everything okay?

Dennis During
I'm guessing that the habit has been broken. It will probably come back.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No posts in over half a day. Is everyone simply scared?
>
> MZMcBride

Dennis C. During

Cynolatry is tolerant so long as the dog is not denied an equal divinity
with the deities of other faiths. - Ambrose Bierce

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cynolatry

Re: Everything okay?

Austin Hair
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Internal-l is pretty active, with 5 posts in the same period, and
> there's been a few topics on wikien-l in the last few days which might
> have been posted here instead if they came up a week ago. I think
> we're seeing more of a choice of forum than respect for the moderators.

If they're choosing a more appropriate forum, then all the better.

Austin

Re: Everything okay?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
At the time when the internal forums were created, the fear was expressed
that people would more and more make use of them. Effectively making the WMF
an organisation shrouded in secrecy. Foundation-l is still the list best
used for people who have something that is not secret. This list will
function properly again once people start posting stuff that does not need
to be secret and therefore do not need to be on one of the internal lists.
Thanks,
       GerardM

2009/11/17 Austin Hair <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Internal-l is pretty active, with 5 posts in the same period, and
> > there's been a few topics on wikien-l in the last few days which might
> > have been posted here instead if they came up a week ago. I think
> > we're seeing more of a choice of forum than respect for the moderators.
>
> If they're choosing a more appropriate forum, then all the better.
>
> Austin

Re: Everything okay?

Ryan Lomonaco
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Dennis During <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm guessing that the habit has been broken. It will probably come back.

I think you're right, particularly given that foundation-l was closed for
nearly a week.  Participants have been posting to other lists, or keeping
discussion on Meta or Wikipedia instead.

That said, I would hope that no one is "scared" of posting here, and if you
are, I hope you'll contact either myself or Austin and tell us why.

--
[[User:Ral315]]

Re: Everything okay?

Anthony-73
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Half a day? Is that really so bad? I would be worried if there were no posts
> for a week. Obviously there isn't as much traffic as before but I would
> personally wait longer before sending out e-mails asking why there are no
> messages.

Yeah, I don't see that anything has changed.  This list has always has
periods of low activity and periods of very high activity.  The latter
might be going away, but it's too soon to tell.

Re: Everything okay?

Anthony-73
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Ryan Lomonaco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That said, I would hope that no one is "scared" of posting here, and if you
> are, I hope you'll contact either myself or Austin and tell us why.

The difference between "fear" and "respect" is what?  Whether or not
you agree with the person in charge?

Re: Everything okay?

Cormac Lawler
2009/11/17 Ryan Lomonaco <[hidden email]>

That said, I would hope that no one is "scared" of posting here, and if you
> are, I hope you'll contact either myself or Austin and tell us why.

I hope so too, but I would understand why they wouldn't say so. People might
be nervous, scared or simply confused - in which cases they'd be less likely
to speak up than if they were angry. Fact of (online?) life, folks!

Therefore, this might be a good time to clarify what this list is for, and
what kinds of things are not considered appropriate or productive.
Currently, we have a single sentence on [[m:Mailing list]] [1] about
maintaining wikiquette and avoiding personal attacks - and nothing on the
foundation-l info page [2]. This could be essentially refactoring what's on
the Improving foundation-l page [3]; but in any case, guidelines should be
explicit somewhere to both discourage what we don't want, and to encourage
what we do - thereby hopefully reassuring people that we *do* value diverse
input.

Cormac

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_list
[3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Improving_Foundation-l