Quantcast

Extension for pdf export

Phil Legault
I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to PDF and have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories etc. without any issues.

Phil Legault
Lead Analyst, Architecture
Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi, could you explain in more detail what you want and what are the issues with the things you have found?

Ad

Op Jan 28, 2014, om 5:21 PM heeft Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to PDF and have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories etc. without any issues.
>

> Phil Legault
> Lead Analyst, Architecture
> Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

Krabina Bernhard
I also think this is one of the weak points of MediaWiki in gerneral. The best thing would be Extension:Collection, but this does not work with SMW, as the cannot display information from ask queries in the PDF documents. The problem has been known for years now and the programmers of Extension:Collection don't feel the need to do anything about it, so it would mean that someone with SMW programming skills looks into the extension and fixes the problem...

regards,
Bernhard

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

> Hi, could you explain in more detail what you want and what are the issues
> with the things you have found?
>
> Ad
>
> Op Jan 28, 2014, om 5:21 PM heeft Legault, Phillip [ITSUS]
> <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> > I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to PDF and
> > have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories etc.
> > without any issues.
> >

> > Phil Legault
> > Lead Analyst, Architecture
> > Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

Phil Legault
PDFBook:
Able to export page with Print as PDF however it does not export page images
I tried to export the category with &action=pdfbook and I get There are no results for this report.
There is not very much documentation on how to configure it to work with categories and images.
It could be that I'm missing something however the only setup information I can find is here http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Book

Semantic Results Formats:
This seems to be based on ask queries and we have 4store installed and would not be able to export subobjects.

We have the bug fix installed for that, and it is not working.

Collections:
I would have to go through and select everything I want to include in the export.
Trouble handling the subobjects as well
Need additional servers to build the PDF

Hi, could you explain in more detail what you want and what are the issues with the things you have found?

Ad

Op Jan 28, 2014, om 5:21 PM heeft Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to PDF and have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories etc. without any issues.
>

> Phil Legault
> Lead Analyst, Architecture
> Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

Yaron Koren-2
Just one clarification about the Collection extension: it actually doesn't
handle any parser functions, template calls, etc. - it's not just #ask. So
SMW knowledge wouldn't be required to fix the problem.

-Yaron

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also think this is one of the weak points of MediaWiki in gerneral. The
> best thing would be Extension:Collection, but this does not work with SMW,
> as the cannot display information from ask queries in the PDF documents.
> The problem has been known for years now and the programmers of
> Extension:Collection don't feel the need to do anything about it, so it
> would mean that someone with SMW programming skills looks into the
> extension and fixes the problem...
>
> regards,
> Bernhard
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> > Hi, could you explain in more detail what you want and what are the
> issues
> > with the things you have found?
> >
> > Ad
> >
> > Op Jan 28, 2014, om 5:21 PM heeft Legault, Phillip [ITSUS]
> > <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > > I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to
> PDF and
> > > have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories
> etc.
> > > without any issues.
> > >

> > > Phil Legault
> > > Lead Analyst, Architecture
> > > Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Did you try printing pages as pdf, without any extension?
This is my approach for all printing and I’m happy with the flexibility it offers. There are some issues of course, especially with the difference between browsers, but in general most requirements can be met.

On 28 jan. 2014, at 19:16, Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PDFBook:
> Able to export page with Print as PDF however it does not export page images
> I tried to export the category with &action=pdfbook and I get There are no results for this report.
> There is not very much documentation on how to configure it to work with categories and images.
> It could be that I'm missing something however the only setup information I can find is here http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Book
>

> Semantic Results Formats:
> This seems to be based on ask queries and we have 4store installed and would not be able to export subobjects.
>
> We have the bug fix installed for that, and it is not working.
>

> Collections:
> I would have to go through and select everything I want to include in the export.
> Trouble handling the subobjects as well
> Need additional servers to build the PDF

Re: Extension for pdf export

planetenxin
... yes, we use "PDF Printer" at gesinn.it very often. We got best
results with the tools from tracker software [1]. Things like CI
compliant headers and footers as well as "page x of y" can be done...

[1] http://www.tracker-software.com/

/Alexander

Am 28.01.2014 19:49, schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:
> Did you try printing pages as pdf, without any extension?
> This is my approach for all printing and I’m happy with the flexibility it offers. There are some issues of course, especially with the difference between browsers, but in general most requirements can be met.

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Extension for pdf export

Ryan Lane-2
Has anyone tried the new PDF renderer that's being discussed on the
wikitech-l list currently?

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I also think this is one of the weak points of MediaWiki in gerneral. The
> best thing would be Extension:Collection, but this does not work with SMW,
> as the cannot display information from ask queries in the PDF documents.
> The problem has been known for years now and the programmers of
> Extension:Collection don't feel the need to do anything about it, so it
> would mean that someone with SMW programming skills looks into the
> extension and fixes the problem...
>
> regards,
> Bernhard
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> > Hi, could you explain in more detail what you want and what are the
> issues
> > with the things you have found?
> >
> > Ad
> >
> > Op Jan 28, 2014, om 5:21 PM heeft Legault, Phillip [ITSUS]
> > <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > > I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to
> PDF and
> > > have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories
> etc.
> > > without any issues.
> > >

> > > Phil Legault
> > > Lead Analyst, Architecture
> > > Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

Phil Legault
Yes I did and had to add some CSS stuff for subobjects and that is for 1 article at a time.
I need to combine all pages in a category or for a particular filter.

I'm not sure how to accomplish that with print to PDF

Did you try printing pages as pdf, without any extension?
This is my approach for all printing and I'm happy with the flexibility it offers. There are some issues of course, especially with the difference between browsers, but in general most requirements can be met.

On 28 jan. 2014, at 19:16, Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PDFBook:
> Able to export page with Print as PDF however it does not export page
> images I tried to export the category with &action=pdfbook and I get There are no results for this report.
> There is not very much documentation on how to configure it to work with categories and images.
> It could be that I'm missing something however the only setup
> information I can find is here
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Book
>

> Semantic Results Formats:
> This seems to be based on ask queries and we have 4store installed and would not be able to export subobjects.
>
> We have the bug fix installed for that, and it is not working.
>

> Collections:
> I would have to go through and select everything I want to include in the export.
> Trouble handling the subobjects as well Need additional servers to
> build the PDF

Re: Extension for pdf export

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Did you have a look at the ‘embedded’ result format (http://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Embedded_format)?

On 28 jan. 2014, at 20:53, Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I did and had to add some CSS stuff for subobjects and that is for 1 article at a time.
> I need to combine all pages in a category or for a particular filter.
>
> I'm not sure how to accomplish that with print to PDF

Re: Extension for pdf export

Phil Legault
Looks like ask and I have 4store and the bug fix for 4store does not seem to work in our environment. When I use ask on the subobjects I get nothing.

On 28 jan. 2014, at 20:53, Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I did and had to add some CSS stuff for subobjects and that is for 1 article at a time.
> I need to combine all pages in a category or for a particular filter.
>
> I'm not sure how to accomplish that with print to PDF

Ralf Krüdewagen

I recently found this PDF converter "wkhtmltopdf" which can export (multiple)
remote or local HTML pages/files to PDF:

https://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/

I didn't try it yet, but with some additional scripting (e.g. to get a list of
wiki pages of a category maybe with Special:Export or an SRF ask query to
JSON) it should be possible to get a full rendered export - at least at
command line. It also can be integrated with PHP to a web page (for building
an extension).

Maybe worth to have a try ...

Cheers
Ralf

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 Legault, Phillip [ITSUS] wrote:
> I have been looking for an extension that will help export pages to PDF and
> have not found anything that will export multiple pages, categories etc.
> without any issues.
>

> Phil Legault
> Lead Analyst, Architecture
> Johnson & Johnson ITS

Re: Extension for pdf export

jongfeli
Hello Phil,

We have been using the Collection extension in combination with SMW for some time now and I must say it works pretty good. A couple of things don't work in our case, one of them is setting properties like: [[Property::1234]], they are shown as Property::1234 in the rendered pdf, which is a bit "annoying". On pages where this really matters we use {{#set:Property... and then {{#show:... instead. Another thing is when the property values in the ask queries are very dynamic (new ones or they change a lot) the render server will keep using cached pages which contain out of date content. This is probably easily fixed by disabling caching of pages on the render server but I did not dive into that.

The Collection extension does handle {{#ask: statements just fine as long as you don't do anything fancy like the format=dygraphs format, possible with Semantic Result Formats. But I think this has nothing to do with SMW but with the fact that it is using Javascript client side, correct me when I am wrong. We mainly use tables and Bulleted lists in our ask queries so it depends on what you are doing.

What absolutely won't work with Collection is the DynamicPagelist extension but our wiki's are Semantic now so we probably have no need for it anymore in the future.

We have setup our own render server on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS. We can't use a public render server and it gives you "full" control on the output. See : Setup a render server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on how to setup. In the document the desktop version of Ubuntu is used but the instructions work just as well on the Server version. When you use the server version you will need to use a terminal editor instead of Gedit, like nano.

Regards,

Felipe.

Re: Extension for pdf export

Krabina Bernhard
This is good news, last time I tried it, I got error messages and the typical SMW powered "fact boxes" were just empty...

regards,
Bernhard

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

> Hello Phil,
>
> We have been using the Collection extension in combination with SMW for some
> time now and I must say it works pretty good. A couple of things don't work
> in our case, one of them is setting properties like: *[[Property::1234]]*,
> they are shown as *Property::1234* in the rendered pdf, which is a bit
> "annoying". On pages where this really matters we use *{{#set:Property...*
> and then *{{#show:...* instead. Another thing is when the property values in
> the ask queries are very dynamic (new ones or they change a lot) the render
> server will keep using cached pages which contain out of date content. This
> is probably easily fixed by disabling caching of pages on the render server
> but I did not dive into that.
>
> The Collection extension does handle *{{#ask:* statements just fine as long
> as you don't do anything fancy like the *format=dygraphs* format, possible
> with *Semantic Result Formats*. But I think this has nothing to do with SMW
> but with the fact that it is using Javascript client side, correct me when I
> am wrong. We mainly use tables and Bulleted lists in our ask queries so it
> depends on what you are doing.
>
> What absolutely won't work with Collection is the *DynamicPagelist*
> extension but our wiki's are Semantic now so we probably have no need for it
> anymore in the future.
>
> We have setup our own render server on *Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS*. We can't
> use a public render server and it gives you "full" control on the output.
> See :  Setup a render server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Setup_a_render_server_on_Ubuntu_12.04_LTS>
> on how to setup. In the document the desktop version of Ubuntu is used but
> the instructions work just as well on the Server version. When you use the
> server version you will need to use a terminal editor instead of *Gedit*,
> like *nano*.
>
> Regards,
>
> Felipe.

Re: Extension for pdf export

jongfeli
Hello Bernhard,

We don't use "fact boxes" on our wiki's but I enabled them on our test wiki. With Collection they don't end up in the pdf output. It seems the Fact box is "not actually" part of the wiki page because it is below the Category link bar. In html it says:

Regards,
Felipe.

Re: Extension for pdf export

Krabina Bernhard
I don't use the built in SMW fact box, but I display facts in a fact box style on the pages using templates...

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----