Extensions broken in MediaWiki 1.8x

MarkGillespie-2

Trying to write a very simple extension, that requires a toolbar button.
Been trying to get this sample working, but I cannot seem to get it to work
on MediaWiki 1.8.2

WikiBooks Add Button Sample Code -
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Help:MediaWiki_Developer's_Handbook/Add_Button

Has 1.8 changed the way this works?

What do I need todo to get this to work now?

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are in commercial confidence and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the Postmaster by e-mail. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of DEK International or its affiliates.
[hidden email]

This footnote confirms that this message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.
http://www.dek.com  ...know the difference