External authentication?

Magnus Manske-2
Hi all,

on my talk page, [[User:Pathoschild]] raised the idea of allowing
OpenID authentication to operate toolserver tools that currently rely
on TUSC. While I'd rather go for browserID [1] (not mutually
exclusive), it raised the point of which authentication is "good
enough" for using some toolserver tools, especially those that edit or
upload on Wiki(m|p)edia projects.

Would these non-TUSC accounts need to be linked to Wiki(m|p)edia user
names? If so, how would this be done? If Wiki(m|p)edia were to provide
openID/browserID authentication, it would be a non-issue, but as it
stands, this would need to be done on the toolserver in some form,
which would most likely be more cumbersome than the current TUSC
account creation.

Ideas?

Magnus

[1] https://browserid.org/

Re: External authentication?

Victor Vasiliev
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Magnus Manske
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on my talk page, [[User:Pathoschild]] raised the idea of allowing
> OpenID authentication to operate toolserver tools that currently rely
> on TUSC. While I'd rather go for browserID [1] (not mutually
> exclusive), it raised the point of which authentication is "good
> enough" for using some toolserver tools, especially those that edit or
> upload on Wiki(m|p)edia projects.
>
> Would these non-TUSC accounts need to be linked to Wiki(m|p)edia user
> names? If so, how would this be done? If Wiki(m|p)edia were to provide
> openID/browserID authentication, it would be a non-issue, but as it
> stands, this would need to be done on the toolserver in some form,
> which would most likely be more cumbersome than the current TUSC
> account creation.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Magnus

Well, Wikimedia should become OpenID/OAuth provider for that.

--vvv

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Victor Vasiliev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Magnus Manske
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> on my talk page, [[User:Pathoschild]] raised the idea of allowing
>> OpenID authentication to operate toolserver tools that currently rely
>> on TUSC. While I'd rather go for browserID [1] (not mutually
>> exclusive), it raised the point of which authentication is "good
>> enough" for using some toolserver tools, especially those that edit or
>> upload on Wiki(m|p)edia projects.
>>
>> Would these non-TUSC accounts need to be linked to Wiki(m|p)edia user
>> names? If so, how would this be done? If Wiki(m|p)edia were to provide
>> openID/browserID authentication, it would be a non-issue, but as it
>> stands, this would need to be done on the toolserver in some form,
>> which would most likely be more cumbersome than the current TUSC
>> account creation.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

>> Magnus
>>

> Well, Wikimedia should become OpenID/OAuth provider for that.

So, no change before 2020 then? ;-)

Re: External authentication?

Jesse (Pathoschild)
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 06:37, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> on my talk page, [[User:Pathoschild]] raised the idea of allowing
> OpenID authentication to operate toolserver tools that currently rely
> on TUSC. While I'd rather go for browserID [1] (not mutually
> exclusive), it raised the point of which authentication is "good
> enough" for using some toolserver tools, especially those that edit or
> upload on Wiki(m|p)edia projects.
>
> Would these non-TUSC accounts need to be linked to Wiki(m|p)edia user
> names? If so, how would this be done?

Hi Magnus,

My idea is to extend your TUSC tool. The user would log in with OpenID
(or browserID), and associate this login with their Wikimedia account
the same way TUSC already does (e.g., the user makes an edit with a
given token).

Once that is done, we could provide a nice API for other Toolserver
scripts to use. For example:
<?php
$user = new ToolserverAuthentication()->getUser('Pathoschild'); // get
a specific user by their on-wiki name (e.g., for checking opt-in)
$user = new ToolserverAuthentication()->getUser();
// get the current user (from session / cookies)

$user->hasWikiAccount();   // whether the user has associated their
Toolserver account with an on-wiki global account
$user->getWikiAccount();    // the name of their on-wiki global account
$user->getGlobalGroups();  // an array of their on-wiki global groups
$user->getPreference('opt-in', 'some-tool-name');  // maybe?
?>

This would make it very easy for tools to require authentication or
opt-in, allow user preferences, or provide different features
depending on the account or roles (e.g., a non-steward user might not
want to see their results filled with links to steward-only pages).

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse (Pathoschild)

Re: External authentication?

Kolossos
Am 09.02.2012 14:08, schrieb Victor Vasiliev:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Magnus Manske
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> on my talk page, [[User:Pathoschild]] raised the idea of allowing
>> OpenID authentication to operate toolserver tools that currently rely
>> on TUSC. While I'd rather go for browserID [1] (not mutually
>> exclusive), it raised the point of which authentication is "good
>> enough" for using some toolserver tools, especially those that edit or
>> upload on Wiki(m|p)edia projects.
>>
>> Would these non-TUSC accounts need to be linked to Wiki(m|p)edia user
>> names? If so, how would this be done? If Wiki(m|p)edia were to provide
>> openID/browserID authentication, it would be a non-issue, but as it
>> stands, this would need to be done on the toolserver in some form,
>> which would most likely be more cumbersome than the current TUSC
>> account creation.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

>> Magnus
>>

> Well, Wikimedia should become OpenID/OAuth provider for that.
>
> --vvv

We had a talk on maps-l[1] to allow Wikipedians to edit easily
OpenStreetMap. So Wikimedia as OpenID/OAuth provider would be really nice.

Greetings Tim

[1]http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/maps-l/2012-January/001113.html