FCKeditor extension

Familie Arndt
For experimenting with wysiwyg editing,
I have put an extension (a true extension, no patch
of the mediawiki code required) on

    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor

which allows semi-wysiwig editing of wiki pages using
the famous FCKeditor.

Markus

Re: FCKeditor extension

Christiaan Briggs
Fantastic, thanks for your efforts Markus!

Christiaan

On 18 May 2006, at 5:07 PM, Familie Arndt wrote:

> For experimenting with wysiwyg editing,
> I have put an extension (a true extension, no patch
> of the mediawiki code required) on
>
>     http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor
>
> which allows semi-wysiwig editing of wiki pages using
> the famous FCKeditor.
>
> Markus

Re: FCKeditor extension

Richard Wade

On 22/05/2006, at 10:51 PM, Christiaan Briggs wrote:

> Fantastic, thanks for your efforts Markus!
>
> Christiaan
>
> On 18 May 2006, at 5:07 PM, Familie Arndt wrote:
>
>> For experimenting with wysiwyg editing,
>> I have put an extension (a true extension, no patch
>> of the mediawiki code required) on
>>
>>     http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor
>>
>> which allows semi-wysiwig editing of wiki pages using
>> the famous FCKeditor.
>>
>> Markus

Many thanks for your work on this. I am very keen to use a WYSIWYG
extension on my MediaWiki installation.

I've tested the extension as it stands on 1.6.5, and the installation
procedure worked fine. Testing the __use_editor__ method on our
Sandbox, I did have some problems with FCKeditor not correctly saving
a relatively complex page. I will read up on any current limitations
for FCKeditor and try again later to see whether it was my
configuration or method that was at fault.
--
rik

Re: FCKeditor extension

Ken McDonald-2
Markus,

Aside from being a new MW admin/user who will be trying this out (once
some other important stuff is done :-) ), there are a few aspects of
FCKedit internals I've always been curious about, but never been able to
find answers for in the time I've been able to look. Would you mind a
couple of questions? They'll be quick--they're simple for people who
would know the answers, unlike me :-)

Thanks,
Ken McDonald

Familie Arndt wrote:

> For experimenting with wysiwyg editing,
> I have put an extension (a true extension, no patch
> of the mediawiki code required) on
>
>     http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor
>
> which allows semi-wysiwig editing of wiki pages using
> the famous FCKeditor.
>
> Markus

Re: FCKeditor extension

Jim McKeeth
I implemented the FCK extension, and I have a question.  I figured out how
to edit the styles that the FCK editor uses for the style drop down, but how
do I get it to create wikicode styles.  For example, in WikiCode you
surround a section heading with ==, and then it is also included in the
Table of Contents.  Even including the == through the FCK editor didn't
achieve the desired effect.

Ideally I would like the style drop down to say Header 1, 2, 3, and then
show in the editor with the font big and bold, but then when you save it
have it get translated into the ==,===, or ===.

Suggestions?  Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

Re: FCKeditor extension

Jim McKeeth
If someone want to point me towards a resource I may have missed on this I
will be happy to research it more.  I've looked around quite a bit and I am
not having much success with it.  Any help would be great!  Thanks again!

On 5/24/06, Jim McKeeth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I implemented the FCK extension, and I have a question.  I figured out how
> to edit the styles that the FCK editor uses for the style drop down, but how
> do I get it to create wikicode styles.  For example, in WikiCode you
> surround a section heading with ==, and then it is also included in the
> Table of Contents.  Even including the == through the FCK editor didn't
> achieve the desired effect.
>
> Ideally I would like the style drop down to say Header 1, 2, 3, and then
> show in the editor with the font big and bold, but then when you save it
> have it get translated into the ==,===, or ===.
>
> Suggestions?  Is this even possible?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Jim

Re: FCKeditor extension

MarkusA
>Ideally I would like the style drop down to say Header 1, 2, 3, and then
>show in the editor with the font big and bold, but then when you save it
>have it get translated into the ==,===, or ===.

>Suggestions?  Is this even possible?

Have a look at
           http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor_and_HTML::WikiConverter
and
           http://wiki.fckeditor.net/WikiSandBox?action=edit&editor=gui
where you can switch between gui edit mode and text edit mode.

Theoretically, one could add this feature to the mediawiki software. One could
even implement such a back parser as an extension as the necessary hooks
are already in place. However, I will not go in this direction.

                     Markus
----
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor

Re: FCKeditor extension

Jim McKeeth
Thanks for the response Markus.  I'll look at those and dig around some
more.

On 5/26/06, Familie Arndt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Ideally I would like the style drop down to say Header 1, 2, 3, and then
> >show in the editor with the font big and bold, but then when you save it
> >have it get translated into the ==,===, or ===.
>
> >Suggestions? Is this even possible?
>
> Have a look at
>   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor_and_HTML::WikiConverter
> and
>   http://wiki.fckeditor.net/WikiSandBox?action=edit&editor=gui
> where you can switch between gui edit mode and text edit mode.
>
> Theoretically, one could add this feature to the mediawiki software. One
> could
> even implement such a back parser as an extension as the necessary hooks
> are already in place. However, I will not go in this direction.
>
>   Markus
> ----
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FCKeditor

-Jim McKeeth <[hidden email]>