FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Quim Gil-2
This Sunday at FOSDEM I will have a lightning session at FOSDEM:

How to hack on Wikipedia

It is in fact an intro to MediaWiki & Wikimedia tech contributions,
designed to be reusable and customized by others for other occasions.

I just uploaded a new version at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:How_to_hack_on_Wikipedia.pdf

Still working on details & credits. Your feedback is welcome!

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Amir E. Aharoni
2013/1/30 Quim Gil <[hidden email]>:
> I just uploaded a new version at
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:How_to_hack_on_Wikipedia.pdf
>
> Still working on details & credits. Your feedback is welcome!

Very, very nice.

A few comments:

* I'm happy to see translatewiki.net mentioned. Consider also mentioning:
1. The number of languages into which the software is translated -
over 300, probably more than any other piece of software.
2. A lot of unique internationalization features that we support
thanks to being so massively multilingual - plural, gender, custom
grammar rules, mostly automatic RTL adjustment, script conversion for
Chinese, Serbian and some other languages, web fonts, web-based
keyboard layouts and then some.

* Page 8 - JavaScript is usually spelled in CamelCase.
Also on JavaScript - ResourceLoader is probably worth mentioning, even
though it's not so new.

* Page 9 - Consider mentioning Firefox OS in addition to Android and
iOS. Brion and Patrick already poked in that direction. (And well,
it's a FLOSS conference, but since you mention iOS, consider
mentioning the Windows Mobile app too.)

* Page 11 - some other programming languages lurk in extensions, too,
like OCaml (Math), Perl (EasyTimeline) and Lua (Scribunto). There are
people who are quite passionate about each of them - they'll be happy
to hear them mentioned and may want to join the development because of
this.

* Page 12 - I suspect that the LOC count includes translations :)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Chris McMahon
> Still working on details & credits. Your feedback is welcome!

It would be great if you could mention browser test automation explicitly
on page 4, especially since Zeljko is giving a talk on the subject at
FOSDEM Saturday:  https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/testing_mediawiki/

On 01/30/2013 10:43 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> 1. The number of languages into which the software is translated -
> over 300

Citation needed. ;)  Yes let's add that number but all the better if we
can have an exact number and the source to update it.

> 2. A lot of unique internationalization features that we support
> thanks to being so massively multilingual - plural, gender, custom
> grammar rules, mostly automatic RTL adjustment, script conversion for
> Chinese, Serbian and some other languages, web fonts, web-based
> keyboard layouts and then some.

Won't fit in the slides but I'm adding this to the notes. Very useful!

> Also on JavaScript - ResourceLoader is probably worth mentioning, even
> though it's not so new.

We have already enough pieces exposed for a 10min session. Probably not
an entry point either.

> * Page 9 - Consider mentioning Firefox OS in addition to Android and
> iOS. Brion and Patrick already poked in that direction. (And well,
> it's a FLOSS conference, but since you mention iOS, consider
> mentioning the Windows Mobile app too.)

I asked Brion about the main focus. He mentioned Android and iOS. This
is also how it looks like when you come from the outside. I'd rather
explain this story and encourage others to cover all the rest.

(Don't get me wrong: I don't use any of these and in fact my pocket is
ready for Peak whenever it goes on sale).  :)

> * Page 11 - some other programming languages lurk in extensions, too,
> like OCaml (Math), Perl (EasyTimeline) and Lua (Scribunto). There are
> people who are quite passionate about each of them - they'll be happy
> to hear them mentioned and may want to join the development because of
> this.

Agreed, and I will add to the notes data from
https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki-extensions-wmf/analyses/latest/languages_summary

> * Page 12 - I suspect that the LOC count includes translations :)

Any better number? This one comes from https://www.ohloh.net/p/mediawiki

Thank you for the fast & detailed feedback!

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Siebrand Mazeland (WMF)
Op 30 jan. 2013 om 21:29 heeft Quim Gil <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> On 01/30/2013 10:43 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>> 1. The number of languages into which the software is translated -
>> over 300
>
> Citation needed. ;)  Yes let's add that number but all the better if we can have an exact number and the source to update it.

https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:MessageGroupStats/core would be and  authoratitive source.

Siebrand

Re: FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Brion Vibber
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/30/2013 10:43 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>
>> * Page 9 - Consider mentioning Firefox OS in addition to Android and
>> iOS. Brion and Patrick already poked in that direction. (And well,
>> it's a FLOSS conference, but since you mention iOS, consider
>> mentioning the Windows Mobile app too.)
>>

> I asked Brion about the main focus. He mentioned Android and iOS. This is
> also how it looks like when you come from the outside. I'd rather explain
> this story and encourage others to cover all the rest.

Indeed our primary focus is on Android and iOS right now, as we're a small
team and that's where the users are. I would love to hear from people
interested in helping create & maintain apps for Firefox OS, BlackBerry 10,
and Windows Phone 8, but we've got limited resources ourselves.

Note that we do have a Firefox OS app in the Marketplace (thanks to
Patrick, Rob Moen, and a bunch of awesome folks at the Bangalore DevCamp
for work on that!). I hope to continue to improve it in my research time
but we have no resources officially allocated to maintaining either Firefox
OS or the Windows 8/RT tablet apps.

Right now we're doing a big push on native apps for Commons upload tools
for iOS and Android; we're getting good contributions from the community so
far with a few interested folks sending in patches. These apps will
eventually integrate campaign functionality replacing the HTML/JS-based
Wiki Loves Monument app we did last year.

Somewhere in the next few months we'll move on to redoing our current
HTML/JS-based Wikipedia apps as native apps as well; again unless
priorities change the main focus will be on Android and iOS.

-- brion

Re: FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Zaki Akhmad
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed our primary focus is on Android and iOS right now, as we're a small
> team and that's where the users are.

I just installed Wikipedia iOS ap. BTW, is it possible to logged in
(and doing edit) with Wikipedia iOS app?

Zaki Akhmad

Re: FOSDEM presentation - feedback welcome

Niklas Laxström
On 30 January 2013 20:20, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This Sunday at FOSDEM I will have a lightning session at FOSDEM:
>
> How to hack on Wikipedia
>
> It is in fact an intro to MediaWiki & Wikimedia tech contributions, designed to be reusable and customized by others for other occasions.
>
> I just uploaded a new version at
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:How_to_hack_on_Wikipedia.pdf
>
> Still working on details & credits. Your feedback is welcome!

I've noticed people tend get a wrong impression when we talk about API
(they think it is something internal to MediaWiki) and hence I've
started calling it WebAPI to make it more explicit.

  -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Zaki Akhmad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Indeed our primary focus is on Android and iOS right now, as we're a
> small
> > team and that's where the users are.
>
> I just installed Wikipedia iOS ap. BTW, is it possible to logged in
> (and doing edit) with Wikipedia iOS app?

Not yet -- we hope to get that in in a couple months though. :)

We do have some initial editing features in the beta mode on the mobile web
site for now...

-- brion