FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

Steinsplitter Wiki

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask, if not please excuse.

All files uploaded to MediaWiki.org must be available under a free license (no "fair use" or "noncommercial").
What we do with files with unclear copyright status (no license, no author, etc.) such as:

* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Scott_profile_pic.jpeg
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:EMWCon_Spring_2016_Mediawiki_in_the_Enterprise.pdf
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:3d_extension_screenshot.png
* a lot of other

Nominating for deletion? Per the intro at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Upload such files must be deleted.

We have {{Unknown copyright}} template, but it seems that nobody is working on it?

Best,
--Steinsplitter

Re: FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

Ricordisamoa
E.g. reuse of content from Wikipedia:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:QuickSurveys-Desktop.png
 From Wikivoyage:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Banner_example.png
Screenshot of proprietary software:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:07-wikitech-phpstorm-deployment.png
On Commons they'd have been speedily deleted, while on mediawiki.org no
one cares.

Il 25/05/2016 12:11, Steinsplitter Wiki ha scritto:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask, if not please excuse.
>
> All files uploaded to MediaWiki.org must be available under a free license (no "fair use" or "noncommercial").
> What we do with files with unclear copyright status (no license, no author, etc.) such as:
>
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Scott_profile_pic.jpeg
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:EMWCon_Spring_2016_Mediawiki_in_the_Enterprise.pdf
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:3d_extension_screenshot.png
> * a lot of other
>
> Nominating for deletion? Per the intro at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Upload such files must be deleted.
>
> We have {{Unknown copyright}} template, but it seems that nobody is working on it?
>

> Best,
> --Steinsplitter

Re: FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

K. Peachey-2
On 25 May 2016 at 20:40, Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> , while on mediawiki.org no one cares.

That's not true, It's a project I plan to work on shortly (just need
to finish a few other things first).

And it's not a simple case of just hitting delete on everything.

Re: FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

Steinsplitter Wiki
There are hundreds of files in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Files_with_unknown_copyright_status

Likely they schould be nominated after one week or moor automatically for deletion (using parser function).  Then a human can review it and press delete.

Likely Template:Information schould be preloaded at Special:Upload (similar to commons), so we would also have machine readable data for files.

Best,
--Steinspliter

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 21:11:13 +1000
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org
>
> On 25 May 2016 at 20:40, Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > , while on mediawiki.org no one cares.
>
> That's not true, It's a project I plan to work on shortly (just need
> to finish a few other things first).
>
> And it's not a simple case of just hitting delete on everything.

Re: FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

Ricordisamoa
Why not move them to Commons after review?
They'd benefit from all the goods, not only Information template but
also categories etc.

Il 25/05/2016 14:39, Steinsplitter Wiki ha scritto:

> There are hundreds of files in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Files_with_unknown_copyright_status
>
> Likely they schould be nominated after one week or moor automatically for deletion (using parser function).  Then a human can review it and press delete.
>
> Likely Template:Information schould be preloaded at Special:Upload (similar to commons), so we would also have machine readable data for files.
>

> Best,
> --Steinspliter
>
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 21:11:13 +1000
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org
>>
>> On 25 May 2016 at 20:40, Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> , while on mediawiki.org no one cares.
>> That's not true, It's a project I plan to work on shortly (just need
>> to finish a few other things first).
>>
>> And it's not a simple case of just hitting delete on everything.

Re: FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
I'm trying to fix the ones I've uploaded, but the {{Mediawiki screenshot}}
template is not in mediawiki.org.

Is just adding a license like {{cc-by-sa-4.0}} enough?

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Why not move them to Commons after review?
> They'd benefit from all the goods, not only Information template but also
> categories etc.
>

> Il 25/05/2016 14:39, Steinsplitter Wiki ha scritto:
>
>> There are hundreds of files in
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Files_with_unknown_copyright_status
>>
>> Likely they schould be nominated after one week or moor automatically for
>> deletion (using parser function).  Then a human can review it and press
>> delete.
>>
>> Likely Template:Information schould be preloaded at Special:Upload
>> (similar to commons), so we would also have machine readable data for files.
>>

>> Best,
>> --Steinspliter
>>
>> From: [hidden email]
>>> Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 21:11:13 +1000
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] FW: File with an unknown copyright status on
>>> MediaWiki.org

>>> That's not true, It's a project I plan to work on shortly (just need
>>> to finish a few other things first).
>>>
>>> And it's not a simple case of just hitting delete on everything.

Re: FW: File with an unknown copyright status on MediaWiki.org

K. Peachey-2
I've created a redirect to our template for that