FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Silke Meyer
Hi!

The toolserver will run until June 30th 2014. Nothing changed about this
date.

As announced to all toolserver user accounts today, all accounts will
expire in January 2014. They can be renewed as usual. The two
toolserver admins Marlen Caemmerer and Alexander Mette provided two
scripts which will help you to pack and download your data and delete
them afterwards.

The reasons for my decision to have the accounts expire: First of all,
I would like to remind everyone to think about their tools' migration
early and get help if needed. Second, we are dealing the data of a few
hundred expired accounts already. The owners shall have the chance to
re-login and collect their data. They have been reactivated and will
expire in January, too. Third, I would like to encourage all those who
already moved over to Tool Labs to download and then their stuff
themselves.

Best, Silke

--
Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thanks for clarifying. The message didn't say anything about a
possibility to renew them. Are there statistics on how many of those
messages bounced? Are you going to contact those users on wiki?

Nemo

Re: FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Max Semenik
maxsem@nightshade:~$ burnbridges
PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting
',' or ';' in /usr/local/bin/burnbridges.php on line 137

On 11.11.2013, 20:56 Federico wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying. The message didn't say anything about a
> possibility to renew them. Are there statistics on how many of those
> messages bounced? Are you going to contact those users on wiki?

> Nemo

Best regards,
  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Platonides
"the second tool deletes all this data as well as expires your account."

The tools migrated to labs should be 301-redirecting to the tools new home, not showing an "Account expired" message.

Re: FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Marlen Caemmerer-3
Hello,

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Platonides wrote:

> "the second tool deletes all this data as well as expires your account."
>
> The tools migrated to labs should be 301-redirecting to the tools new
> home, not showing an "Account expired" message.

Yes, this is an issue we thought about, too but had no real solution:
as far as I understood each tool has an own URL at tool labs.
Its quite hard to put this in a redirection monster - it might be possible to write a script for it but I guess its far more handy to change the URLs everywhere when people complain.

Another more simple solution would be to send the redirect to the "new home page on tool labs" or to the tools overview page of tool labs http://tools.wmflabs.org/ .

Would this be something more feasible or do you have any other idea?

Cheers
  Marlen/nosy

Re: FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Marlen Caemmerer-3
Hey,

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Max Semenik wrote:

> maxsem@nightshade:~$ burnbridges
> PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting
> ',' or ';' in /usr/local/bin/burnbridges.php on line 137

the parse error was fixed by the coder and it now worked for my account.

Cheers
  Marlen/nosy

PS: I still have a valid root account and will keep it - dont panic

On 18.11.2013, 18:21 Marlen wrote:

> Hey,

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Max Semenik wrote:
>>
>> maxsem@nightshade:~$ burnbridges
>> PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting
>> ',' or ';' in /usr/local/bin/burnbridges.php on line 137
>>

> the parse error was fixed by the coder and it now worked for my account.

Thanks, confirmed to work now!

--
Best regards,
  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: FYI: Toolserver account expiry in early January

Merlijn van Deen
Hi Marlen,

On 18 November 2013 15:18, Marlen Caemmerer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, this is an issue we thought about, too but had no real solution:
as far as I understood each tool has an own URL at tool labs.
Its quite hard to put this in a redirection monster - it might be possible to write a script for it but I guess its far more handy to change the URLs everywhere when people complain.

 I discussed this with Marc Pelletier (Coren, cc'ed) on #wikimedia-labs this afternoon. The final 'best idea' was the following:
  - Let users on the TS redirect their tools to whatever new location (which would probably be Tool Labs) using .htaccess,
  - Expired accounts should then still be allowed to redirect using .htaccess,
  - When the TS goes down, some other server, probably in the TL cluster, can take over the .htaccess files and keep providing redirects.

Would this (mainly the expired accounts part, which would require changes on the TS side) be acceptable? It would allow users that want redirects to put them in place (in a well-defined manner that will keep working after the TS goes down), without too much effort from the end of the admins of either the TS or TL.

Coren, if I missed/mis-summarized something, please correct me :-)

Merlijn

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Merlijn van Deen wrote:

> I discussed this with Marc Pelletier (Coren, cc'ed) on #wikimedia-labs
> this afternoon. The final 'best idea' was the following:
>  - Let users on the TS redirect their tools to whatever new location
> (which would probably be Tool Labs) using .htaccess,
>  - Expired accounts should then still be allowed to redirect using
> .htaccess,
>  - When the TS goes down, some other server, probably in the TL cluster,
> can take over the .htaccess files and keep providing redirects.
>
> Would this (mainly the expired accounts part, which would require changes
> on the TS side) be acceptable? It would allow users that want redirects to
> put them in place (in a well-defined manner that will keep working after
> the TS goes down), without too much effort from the end of the admins of
> either the TS or TL.
>
> Coren, if I missed/mis-summarized something, please correct me :-)

This sounds like a good and doable idea.
Currently the expired accounts get displayed via a global htaccess - we'd have to turn this mechanism off then because if a user is in this global file his home page will not even be accessed by the web server.
Thats why I'd have  a additional suggestion - expired accounts get a default htaccess in their home directories public_html dir if no htaccess is found.
I still then only have the problem that if a account expires and htaccess is not touched for whatever reason the web stuff there stays active.
And: if someone burns bridges when done with the move to labs the htaccess file would get currently deleted too - ill discuss this again and think about it (ok we could recode so the file does not get deleted or simply gets appended to the global htaccess file...) ;).

But still - yes - good suggestion.

Cheers
  Marlen/nosy