FYI: wikipedia.de relaunch

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi,

until now, http://wikipedia.de (in posession of Wikimedia Deutschland
e.V.) was a redirect to http://de.wikipedia.org. Because of different
reasons this was not the best idea.

Since now the content of wikipedia.de changed to a search portal where
you are able to look up articles in languages officially spoken in
Germany. Nice feature is the type ahead search functionality.

It's also possible to start a search via third-party
wikipedia-searchengines.

Just have a look.

Bye, Tim.

--
http://wikipedistik.de

Re: FYI: wikipedia.de relaunch

Jon Harald Søby
It looks nice! However, I wonder why some languages are not included. I'm
thinking about Bavarian, Kölsch and Low Saxon, possibly also Yiddish...
Perhaps it should also be fully translated when searching in other
languages. So instead of "Suche in der dänischsprachigen Wikipedia" you
should have "Søg i den dansksproglige Wikipedia". It's a good start, though.
:-)

On 6/26/07, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> until now, http://wikipedia.de (in posession of Wikimedia Deutschland
> e.V.) was a redirect to http://de.wikipedia.org. Because of different
> reasons this was not the best idea.
>
> Since now the content of wikipedia.de changed to a search portal where
> you are able to look up articles in languages officially spoken in
> Germany. Nice feature is the type ahead search functionality.
>
> It's also possible to start a search via third-party
> wikipedia-searchengines.
>
> Just have a look.
>
> Bye, Tim.
>
> --
> http://wikipedistik.de

Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by

Re: FYI: wikipedia.de relaunch

Walter Vermeir-2
Tim 'avatar' Bartel schreef:

> Hi,
>
> until now, http://wikipedia.de (in posession of Wikimedia Deutschland
> e.V.) was a redirect to http://de.wikipedia.org. Because of different
> reasons this was not the best idea.
>
> Since now the content of wikipedia.de changed to a search portal where
> you are able to look up articles in languages officially spoken in
> Germany. Nice feature is the type ahead search functionality.
>
> It's also possible to start a search via third-party
> wikipedia-searchengines.
>
> Just have a look.
>
> Bye, Tim.

Congratiulations,

It has taken years but just like getting the English Wikipedia off the
www.wikipedia.com/org domain it finally happened.  Even it is not like
the other country portals an equal exposure to all the languages this
will still help those smaller Wikipedias a lot in getting people knowing
the exist.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community

Re: FYI: wikipedia.de relaunch

Oldak
On 26/06/07, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> until now, http://wikipedia.de (in posession of Wikimedia Deutschland
> e.V.) was a redirect to http://de.wikipedia.org. Because of different
> reasons this was not the best idea.
>
> Since now the content of wikipedia.de changed to a search portal where
> you are able to look up articles in languages officially spoken in
> Germany. Nice feature is the type ahead search functionality.
>
> It's also possible to start a search via third-party
> wikipedia-searchengines.
>
> Just have a look.
>
> Bye, Tim.

This is definitely the way we should be going with country domains. Minority
languages are a very important part of our project and Wikimedia has the
potential to do a lot for smaller languages.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])