Farewell

Hisham-7
Dear India Community

I'm writing to inform you that I plan to leave my current role supporting Wikimedia in India.  I am going to be exploring opportunities and evaluating options that are closer to my career aspirations and my personal circumstances.  I will be working through to ensure that there is a smooth transition - and this is likely to take 2-3 months.  I am writing now because I felt it appropriate and opportune to inform you as early as possible.

I want to start off by thanking the Wikimedia community and movement for giving me this extraordinary opportunity.  Working on something like India Program has been something that has been professionally enriching and personally fulfilling. Over the past 1 1/2 years, I have been supported by so many of you - and I want to thank you for everything you have done!  The passion and intellectual firepower of our community has been my constant source of drive and guidance.  There are so many examples of powerful stories from all over the country: the incredible efforts put in by the IEP Campus Ambassadors in Pune; the army of volunteers that drove the outreach push across the country in the first few months of this year; the beautiful stories of fantastic community initiatives from far and wide across the country and sub-continent, and indeed the world; the remarkable stories from so many communities - large, small and tiny ones!

I want to thank the team that I have had the pleasure and privilege of working with - Nitika, Noopur, Shiju & Subha.  You guys have been wonderful.  The work that we are doing is experimental and we have been innovating every day, and I know the circumstances have not always been easy.  Take strength and inspiration from the large number of community members who have been touched by you and appreciate your efforts and value your work.

I will send an actual "over and out" message later.  In the meantime, I will continue to work on everything that needs working on.

Happy Editing!

Warmest Regards,

hisham

Re: Farewell

Jyoti Prakash Nath
It was great to work with you. Thanx a lot for your support to the Assamese Wikipedia Community.

Wish you a bright future ahead.....

Goodbye Hisham

Re: Farewell

Achal Prabhala-2
You will be missed, Hisham, and it's really good to know that you are around for the next few months.

Take care,
Achal

On Monday 30 July 2012 04:07 PM, Hisham wrote:
Dear Bangalore Community

[...]

theo10011
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am very surprised by this announcement. I wasn't expecting anything like this.

What might seem surprising to learn is, I used to talk to Hisham since the beginning and we never really stopped talking in the last year. We would meet every month or so, for coffee or lunch. We disagreed about a lot of things, but absolutely none of it ever affected the personal relationship we had. I suppose we were capable of separating that. I certainly didn't make his job any easier, but I was always direct with my opinions. I hope he forgoes any transgressions.

He would invite me to meet-ups, occasionally ask for help with something, and I helped when I could, sometimes even through our most strongest disagreements. I could disagree with him, criticize him in the strongest tone, and yet, we can still sit down for lunch and laugh. I could ask him for life advice, talk about our families, and none of it had to be about Wikimedia.

This was an unfortunate situation, and I never really had a direct problem with Hisham. It was the larger decisions and the position he was placed in. I would hold others responsible before him, as I have an inkling that even this was someone else's decision.

I'm going to miss talking to him.

Kind Regards
Theo

P.S. Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry.

Re: Farewell

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)-2
In the course of an epic, great men march in and march out.

But some pages are made just for them. They would sit there within the volumes, get scribbled and read by a few and turn first pale and then golden over the time.

Hisham, you have made a mark of your own.

Time will recall you when the milestones get counted.

And by then, have a great family life with the upcoming bonus bundle of joy!

:)

From toddler to toddler, do you walk firm....!
From Wikipedia (en-in... i.e.) to the blooming bud, do you march brave!

-Viswam

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

metasj
Hisham,

You will be dearly missed!
Viswam, your note was most beautiful.

Sam.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the course of an epic, great men march in and march out.

But some pages are made just for them. They would sit there within the volumes, get scribbled and read by a few and turn first pale and then golden over the time.

Hisham, you have made a mark of your own.

Time will recall you when the milestones get counted.

And by then, have a great family life with the upcoming bonus bundle of joy!

:)

From toddler to toddler, do you walk firm....!
From Wikipedia (en-in... i.e.) to the blooming bud, do you march brave!

[...]

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: Farewell

Deepon Saha
I really don't know what to say, you never expect this kind of mail in the inbox while simply doing a routine check at 8am.. Hisham has been very supportive from each & every  aspect...Be it the education program/outreach sessions/innovative ideas to promote Wikipedia. Many disagreed with his viewpoint, but that never hampered the personal relationship they had with Hisham.

Personally, I am not going to miss Hisham, no, as I will still be in touch with him & I am sure he will keep on editing in Wikipedia with the same passion...:)  But yes, we will miss him on a professional level.

I think Viswaprabha expressed everything we all intend to say..
Here's wishing you all the best for your future endeavor!!! :) :)

Take care,

Deepon

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hisham,

You will be dearly missed!
Viswam, your note was most beautiful.

Sam.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the course of an epic, great men march in and march out.

But some pages are made just for them. They would sit there within the volumes, get scribbled and read by a few and turn first pale and then golden over the time.

Hisham, you have made a mark of your own.

Time will recall you when the milestones get counted.

And by then, have a great family life with the upcoming bonus bundle of joy!

:)

From toddler to toddler, do you walk firm....!
From Wikipedia (en-in... i.e.) to the blooming bud, do you march brave!

[...]

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266" target="_blank">+1 617 529 4266

Re: Farewell

Bishakha Datta

Dear Hisham,

I’m thinking back on your time here and want to thank you for so much that you’ve done and built in these one and a half years. For setting up things from scratch when there was neither a team nor an office and you were on your own. For building and motivating a small team to venture into unknown terrain (and for even daring to step into this terrain) without any surefire guarantee of success. For tirelessly and successfully supporting many Indic language wikipedias and the first-ever community-led WikiConference India. For keeping up team morale in the difficult days following the India Education program. For reaching out to hundreds of people in India through any means necessary to create new editors. And, yes, for being bold.

One of the things that makes this kind of work difficult is not just its newness or its experimental unsure nature, but also its publicness. Brickbats pour in much faster than bouquets in public fora, creating a narrative of their own that is hard to buck. I want to thank you for being able to smell the roses, for having a tough enough hide to survive the brickbats while continuing to steer India programs and motivating your team to do its best. I also want to urge the Wikimedia India community to be constructive and rigorous in holding India programs accountable in its next avatar - without being destructive or personal.

You’ve laid a very solid foundation for India programs that I expect the team will continue to build on. I hope you enjoy your remaining time here and leave with many more good memories than bad.

Will miss you, my friend!

Bishakha

[...]

Abdul Rahman
Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several of them.

None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the nonsense in the community?

Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has done is what volunters do.

if any volunteer asked for help and he responded, that voulneter would do exzctly what hisham tells him to.
if he doesnt, hisham cribs that they don't let him do his work.
if he does, he claims credt for that volunteers success and puts the blame on the volunteer if it fails.

he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
the community is still trying to recover.
on top of that he called up several voluntrs over the phone for iep this yr and justified his actions.

congrats hisham, you've done a lot in one and a hafl years. a lot of damage.

Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone to blame.

Have a good time.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

--Sent from my LG Optimus.

Re: Farewell

Gautam John
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Re: Farewell

Ram Shankar Yadav
Gautam +1

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Re: Farewell

Ashwin Baindur
Abdul,

You have not given of your time to Wikipedia and you have no moral right to criticise Hisham for anything he has done. I wonder why you are subscribed to this list at all. You are welcome to be a Wikipedian and if not, be an constructive member of the community even if you dont edit. We have such people. But your diatribe about someone you have not met and know nothing about first-hand is not at all appreciated and not the way to go.

Ashwin Baindur

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ram Shankar Yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gautam +1

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Farewell

Pradeep Mohandas-4

Right from the time meeting outside the historic cafe in Mumbai along with Barry, it has been nice knowing you Hisham.

Through the difficult days of WikiConference India 2011 (for me) I thank you for the support you have given me.

For your contributions to the Indian Wikimedia movement, thank you. I hope you do keep editing and stay in touch.

Pradeep
User:Prad2609

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

You have not given of your time to Wikipedia and you have no moral right to criticise Hisham for anything he has done. I wonder why you are subscribed to this list at all. You are welcome to be a Wikipedian and if not, be an constructive member of the community even if you dont edit. We have such people. But your diatribe about someone you have not met and know nothing about first-hand is not at all appreciated and not the way to go.

Ashwin Baindur

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ram Shankar Yadav <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:ramshankaryadav@gmail.com" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">ramshankaryadav@...> wrote:
Gautam +1

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gautam John <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:gautam@prathambooks.org" target="_blank" href="javascript:return">gautam@...> wrote:
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Farewell

Deepon Saha

Ashwin +1

Deepon

On Jul 31, 2012 6:24 PM, "Ashwin Baindur" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul,

You have not given of your time to Wikipedia and you have no moral right to criticise Hisham for anything he has done. I wonder why you are subscribed to this list at all. You are welcome to be a Wikipedian and if not, be an constructive member of the community even if you dont edit. We have such people. But your diatribe about someone you have not met and know nothing about first-hand is not at all appreciated and not the way to go.

Ashwin Baindur

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ram Shankar Yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gautam +1

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Farewell

Shobhana Muralidharan
Hello

Well said. I hate professionals being pulled down in public.

Thanks

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Shoba

Re: Farewell

Béria Lima
Calm Ashwin.

Everyone has the right to say what they think about something (after all we "still" live in a democracy). I do understand that he was rude and that there is more than one way to express frustration and he didn't choose a good one, but we shouldn't do the same to him or anyone. And more important, we shouldn't be "inviting people to leave" the list or community.

I'm not saying you wrong (and I do agree with the most of what you said) but let's not push people away.
_____
Béria Lima

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

On 31 July 2012 09:53, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul,

You have not given of your time to Wikipedia and you have no moral right to criticise Hisham for anything he has done. I wonder why you are subscribed to this list at all. You are welcome to be a Wikipedian and if not, be an constructive member of the community even if you dont edit. We have such people. But your diatribe about someone you have not met and know nothing about first-hand is not at all appreciated and not the way to go.

Ashwin Baindur

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ram Shankar Yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gautam +1

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Abdul, honesty is a rare character and it's good to strike a
dissenting note. However, all said and done, a dissenting note based
in fiction is a wasted thing because it lacks a factual basis in which
to assess it.

> Before i start, I am not a Wikipedia editor. Just someone who knows several
> of them.

Ah. The wonders of second hand information. Always notable.

> None of you seem to be thinking, or else no thinker is replying.

Perhaps. But your email doesn't seem to indicate that you were either.

> Hisham is not some war hero that you have to praise him like this.
> If there is anything he has done, it is not praiseworthy.

Clearly the members who have replied on this list think otherwise.
Myself included.

> yes, we weill miss him. a lot. who else do we blame for failurs and all the
> nonsense in the community?

So you'll miss him because you have someone to blame? If that's the
prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Farewell

Ashwin Baindur
Calmer, now! :)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

prism through which you view activity, then you biases are clear. For
we all have clean hands and can cast the first stone.

> Hisham has done nothing for the community that stands out. all that he has
> done is what volunters do.

Sure. Which is why volunteers have thanked him.

> he runined th english wikipedia with his IEP crap.
> the community is still trying to recover.

But had the grace and courage to own up to his failures. We could all
learn something from that.

> Wer'e not happy that you are leaving, but sad, because we won't have anyone
> to blame.

Maybe it's time we looked inwards too rather than finding an easy
outside mark to blame?

I am sure there are more who hold dissenting views and this is a good
time to air them. We can all learn from them.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Abdul, whoever you are, hats off too you. While I agree that you were
rude, you're not far off from reality. Yes, I expected help from
Hisham, something I never got despite multiple requests, for my
outreach at Tiruchirappalli, or Coimbatore. The chapter gave me the
support I needed. But maybe That's my luck or karma, I don't know, and
I don't want to know. Hisham, as much as I like or dislike you, you're
still a Wikipedian leaving. That is sad. Indeed. Have a pleasant
future ahead.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Sign this petition to introduce Volvo buses in Coimbatore city:
https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/the-transport-minister-tamil-nadu-introduction-of-volvo-city-buses-in-the-city-of-coimbatore