Farewell

Re: Farewell

Gautam John
Srikanth, a question: Does your email mean to suggest that while the
IP/Hisham has been unresponsive the Chapter has always been
responsive? The logical corollary is that IP/Hisham has been
responsive at times when the Chapter or individuals have not been able
to help and I would think this to be true.

In general, what do we learn from your email? That everyone must be
helpful to everyone else all the time? I think what's important is
that you did get the support you were looking for from someone within
the community and that will hold true irrespective of who helped and
when, right?

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://blog.prathambooks.org/p/social-media.html

On 31 July 2012 23:09, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Abdul, whoever you are, hats off too you. While I agree that you were
> rude, you're not far off from reality. Yes, I expected help from
> Hisham, something I never got despite multiple requests, for my
> outreach at Tiruchirappalli, or Coimbatore. The chapter gave me the
> support I needed. But maybe That's my luck or karma, I don't know, and
> I don't want to know. Hisham, as much as I like or dislike you, you're
> still a Wikipedian leaving. That is sad. Indeed. Have a pleasant
> future ahead.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
>
> Sign this petition to introduce Volvo buses in Coimbatore city:
> https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/the-transport-minister-tamil-nadu-introduction-of-volvo-city-buses-in-the-city-of-coimbatore

Re: Farewell

Arun Ramarathnam
Dear Hisham,,

This note from you did come as a surprise.

It is sad to see anyone leave the movement.
Sorry to hear you are leaving.

Thanks for your efforts for the movement thus far.

And best wishes for all your future endeavours.
And do stay in touch.

Regards
Arun

On 30-Jul-2012, at 4:11 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear India Community

I'm writing to inform you that I plan to leave my current role supporting Wikimedia in India.  I am going to be exploring opportunities and evaluating options that are closer to my career aspirations and my personal circumstances.  I will be working through to ensure that there is a smooth transition - and this is likely to take 2-3 months.  I am writing now because I felt it appropriate and opportune to inform you as early as possible.

I want to start off by thanking the Wikimedia community and movement for giving me this extraordinary opportunity.  Working on something like India Program has been something that has been professionally enriching and personally fulfilling. Over the past 1 1/2 years, I have been supported by so many of you - and I want to thank you for everything you have done!  The passion and intellectual firepower of our community has been my constant source of drive and guidance.  There are so many examples of powerful stories from all over the country: the incredible efforts put in by the IEP Campus Ambassadors in Pune; the army of volunteers that drove the outreach push across the country in the first few months of this year; the beautiful stories of fantastic community initiatives from far and wide across the country and sub-continent, and indeed the world; thremarkable stories from so many communities - large, small and tiny ones!

I want to thank the team that I have had the pleasure and privilege of working with - Nitika, Noopur, Shiju & Subha.  You guys have been wonderful.  The work that we are doing is experimental and we have been innovating every day, and I know the circumstances have not always been easy.  Take strength and inspiration from the large number of community members who have been touched by you and appreciate your efforts and value your work.

I will send an actual "over and out" message later.  In the meantime, I will continue to work on everything that needs working on.

Happy Editing!

Warmest Regards,

hisham

Re: Farewell

Ravishankar-3
Hi all,

Whatever has been done through the IP, both the community and WMF are equally responsible. It is not good to attribute failure or sucess to anyone.

When some one is leaving any movement, it is basic courtesy to wish him well. By doing so, he or she will have good memories of the movement and may remain a life long ambassador for us. This is not the time to evaluate anyone's performance.

Ravi

Re: Farewell

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)-2
#1.

There is always a way to look at happenings positively. Even falls and failures, if at all they do happen, are valuable lessons!

To me, that is the greatest lesson and principle I have learnt from editing Wikipedia itself. Wikipedia constantly compelled me to realize my own mistakes (edits) and correct. Every instance of them was a positive milestone.

#2.

On lamenting about stillborn help, just as a matter of fact and point of order:

In our small community, we are very much aware of the possible help (and our standard rights and privileges to that) from chapter or IP/foundation.

But so far,
when we need help, we do not yearn for that from higher ups.

Instead, we seek help from 'bottom downs'.

Instead of San Francisco, Delhi or Bangalore, we try, get and accomplish assistance from little kids and humble rural people.
And that we get immensely.
(And vice versa, our community members have helped the chapter

We have been able to digitize and upsource entire volumes of ancient texts to our Wikisources and elsewhere through pleasant collaboration from primary school kids from hitherto unknown villages.

Our most successful outreach programs were conducted by infrastructural and program assistance from barely internet-powered commons.

Perhaps, the only time we have sought help or assistance from chapter / IP / WMF was when we conducted our massive outreach program (Wikisangamotsavam) a few months back. And we are very content and thankful for whatever they provided. We even did not distinguish who among them were providing.

My humble opinion: Grow your community bottom up. Grow self-reliant as far as possible. Your rights will always be reserved and accumulated for more needy and pressing occasions.

-just a bottom level community member from ml.wikipedia.org

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Ravishankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Whatever has been done through the IP, both the community and WMF are equally responsible. It is not good to attribute failure or sucess to anyone.

When some one is leaving any movement, it is basic courtesy to wish him well. By doing so, he or she will have good memories of the movement and may remain a life long ambassador for us. This is not the time to evaluate anyone's performance.

Ravi

Ravi +1.

Re: Farewell

Vikram Vincent
Hello all,
I think it is important to analyse issues objectively rather than
subjectively if we want to go forward and learn from our experiences.
We bring with us into our professional lives our personal strengths
and weaknesses as we are human.  Criticism is good. Constructive
criticism of both others and ourselves is important if we want to
improve the movement.  Let us move on as better human beings.
Thanks Hisham for your contribution.
With warm wishes,
--
Vikram Vincent