Feature Request: printout type 'template'

Feature Request: printout type 'template'

planetenxin
I often use automatically created page names (like Issue00023) together
with a label property to get triples like

'Issue00023' 'has label' 'we need more pizza'
'Person4711' 'has name' 'Alexander Gesinn'

If I query for Issues, I'd like show the label but link to the acutal
page. I can do this be using format=template which requires some work.

My idea is to have something like:

{{#ask: [[Category:Issue]]
    |?has label#Template:IssueLabel=Label
    |?has assignee#Template:AssigneeLabel=Assignee
    |mainlabel=-
}}

Template:IssueLabel would look like

{{#if:{{{1|}}}|[[{{ask:[[{{{1|}}}]]|?has
label|mainlabel=-|link=none|limit=1}}]]}}

What do you think?

/Alexander

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Feature Request: printout type 'template'

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi Alexander,

Why don't you use SemanticTitle? It seems to me that what you want is what SemanticTitle provides.
The only thing is that you have to have some standard display property, for example 'Display' with the value of 'Has name' for Persons and 'Has label' for Issues.

Ad

Op 16 dec. 2014, om 09:38 heeft planetenxin <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

I often use automatically created page names (like Issue00023) together
with a label property to get triples like

'Issue00023' 'has label' 'we need more pizza'
'Person4711' 'has name' 'Alexander Gesinn'

If I query for Issues, I'd like show the label but link to the acutal
page. I can do this be using format=template which requires some work.

My idea is to have something like:

{{#ask: [[Category:Issue]]
   |?has label#Template:IssueLabel=Label
   |?has assignee#Template:AssigneeLabel=Assignee
   |mainlabel=-
}}

Template:IssueLabel would look like

{{#if:{{{1|}}}|[[{{ask:[[{{{1|}}}]]|?has
label|mainlabel=-|link=none|limit=1}}]]}}

What do you think?

/Alexander

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Feature Request: printout type 'template'

planetenxin
Hi Ad,

you are right. In my example I used a simple case. In practice I very
often have combined 'labels' build from more than one property. These
properties can be retrieved from more than one page, thus needs to be
'rendered at runtime'.

As an alternative approach to my request, SemanticTitle could provide a
feature to allow mapping a label template instead of mapping a label
property.

Makes sense?

/Alexander

Am 16.12.2014 um 10:00 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Why don't you use SemanticTitle? It seems to me that what you want is what SemanticTitle provides.
> The only thing is that you have to have some standard display property, for example 'Display' with the value of 'Has name' for Persons and 'Has label' for Issues.
>
> Ad

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Feature Request: printout type 'template'

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi Alexander,

Definitely makes sense. I would like to have such a feature too.

To go back to you first approach: I would stick to the approach that the way the property is displayed can be specified with a '#' parameter. So you would have something like:
{{#ask: [[Category:Issue]]
   |mainlabel#Template:IssueLabel
   |?has assignee#Template:AssigneeLabel
}}
Then Template:IssueLabel would be
{{#if:{{{1|}}}|{{#show:{{{1|}}}|?has label}} }}
Of course the value passed to the template should not be a link, although the #ask does produce links.

What do you think?

Ad

Op 16 dec. 2014, om 10:15 heeft planetenxin <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Hi Ad,

you are right. In my example I used a simple case. In practice I very often have combined 'labels' build from more than one property. These properties can be retrieved from more than one page, thus needs to be 'rendered at runtime'.

As an alternative approach to my request, SemanticTitle could provide a feature to allow mapping a label template instead of mapping a label property.

Makes sense?

/Alexander

Am 16.12.2014 um 10:00 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Why don't you use SemanticTitle? It seems to me that what you want is what SemanticTitle provides.
> The only thing is that you have to have some standard display property, for example 'Display' with the value of 'Has name' for Persons and 'Has label' for Issues.
>
> Ad

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Feature Request: printout type 'template'

planetenxin
Im curious about the opinion of one of the core devs.

One more thing we should think of is sorting. If you use the labels, the
results are still sorted with their page name. Mybe we need someting like

|sort=Template:IssueLabel

/Alexander

Am 16.12.2014 um 10:52 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Definitely makes sense. I would like to have such a feature too.
>
> To go back to you first approach: I would stick to the approach that the way the property is displayed can be specified with a '#' parameter. So you would have something like:
> {{#ask: [[Category:Issue]]
>     |mainlabel#Template:IssueLabel
>     |?has assignee#Template:AssigneeLabel
> }}
> Then Template:IssueLabel would be
> {{#if:{{{1|}}}|{{#show:{{{1|}}}|?has label}} }}
> Of course the value passed to the template should not be a link, although the #ask does produce links.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Ad

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Feature Request: printout type 'template'

Ad Strack van Schijndel
I would expect the sort to be automatically on the printout. So then this would not be necessary.

Op 16 dec. 2014, om 14:53 heeft planetenxin <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven: