Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Aaron Gray-6
Dear Wikipedia and MediaWiki people,

Hers are some suggested ideas that may allow Wikipedia and MediaWiki to be
organized better in the future and for the future of organizing the worlds
open public information.

*Summaries - popup summaries for pages*

Using automated generation of content for the title attribute on the <a>
tag containing a summary containing either the content from an
Wikimedia markdown a popup summary could be generated for quick browsing
for definition of terms on hyperlinks. This would vastly aid the user
experience.

*Categories - bread crumb like hierarchical and cross referencing
categorization and navigation*
By creating a set of categorical navigation pages the whole of fields of
knowledge on Wikipedia could be categorized.

By having a set of clickable list of hierarchical categories displayed like
'bread crumb' navigation lists under the page title the user could quickly
navigate this hierarchy.

By adding pop up menus to the separating chevrons with each subcategories
elements cross category navigation would be made possible.

Double clicking on chevrons should navigate to the categorical navigation
page.

*QuickLink - Quick Link Creation*

A hotkey and JavaScript script could allow the creation of links from a
selected highlighted bit of normal text to lookup a term, display its
summary and allow the user to confirm the generation of a new hyperlink
very quickly without having to edit markdown.

*Move towards semantic content*

and classes more of a semantic mapping of content may be established. Tis
maybe done incrementally and also for example by a bot auto generating new
summary information that maybe verified by either users or editors for
publishing.

*API*

API's from summaries, categories, and semantic content should be made
available.

More to come ...

Regards,

Aaron Gray

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Aaron Gray-6
Dear Wikipedia and MediaWiki people,

Example Category and Summary markdown.

Comments inline ...

On 9 October 2016 at 13:37, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikipedia and MediaWiki people,
>
> Hers are some suggested ideas that may allow Wikipedia and MediaWiki to be
> organized better in the future and for the future of organizing the worlds
> open public information.
>
> *Summaries - popup summaries for pages*
>
> Using automated generation of content for the title attribute on the <a>
> tag containing a summary containing either the content from an
> Wikimedia markdown a popup summary could be generated for quick browsing
> for definition of terms on hyperlinks. This would vastly aid the user
> experience.

Example :-

{{summary
In [[biochemistry]], a '''cholinesterase''' or '''choline esterase''' is an
[[esterase]] that lyses [[choline]]-based [[ester]]s, several of which
serve as [[neurotransmitter]]s. Thus, it is either of two [[enzyme]]s that
[[catalyst|catalyze]] the [[hydrolysis]] of these [[cholinergic]]
neurotransmitters, such as breaking [[acetylcholine]] into choline and
[[acetic acid]]. These reactions are necessary to allow a cholinergic
[[neuron]] to return to its resting state after activation.
}}

> *Categories - bread crumb like hierarchical and cross referencing
> categorization and navigation*
> By creating a set of categorical navigation pages the whole of fields of
> knowledge on Wikipedia could be categorized.
>
> By having a set of clickable list of hierarchical categories displayed
> like 'bread crumb' navigation lists under the page title the user could
> quickly navigate this hierarchy.
>
> By adding pop up menus to the separating chevrons with each subcategories
> elements cross category navigation would be made possible.
>
> Double clicking on chevrons should navigate to the categorical navigation
> page.

Category markdown syntax :-

{{category <category-list>}}

Example :-

{{category [[biochemistry]] [[Brain]] [[Enzyme]] [[esterase]]
[[cholinesterase]]}}

Added to page :-

    https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cholinesterase

The new proposed markdown extensions do not interfere with existing page
rendering

Markdown :-

    https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cholinesterase&action=edit

Hope this is okay !

Regards,

Aaron Gray

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Aaron Gray-6
Sorry had for the noise I had to undo that page mod as it ended up
rendering after all I thought I had checked it !

Ideally additional undefined {{ }} modifications should no be rendered !

Regards,

Aaron Gray

On 9 October 2016 at 15:16, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikipedia and MediaWiki people,
>
> Example Category and Summary markdown.
>
> Comments inline ...
>
> On 9 October 2016 at 13:37, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Wikipedia and MediaWiki people,
>>
>> Hers are some suggested ideas that may allow Wikipedia and MediaWiki to
>> be organized better in the future and for the future of organizing the
>> worlds open public information.
>>
>> *Summaries - popup summaries for pages*
>>
>> Using automated generation of content for the title attribute on the <a>
>> tag containing a summary containing either the content from an
>> Wikimedia markdown a popup summary could be generated for quick browsing
>> for definition of terms on hyperlinks. This would vastly aid the user
>> experience.
>>

> Example :-
>
> {{summary
> In [[biochemistry]], a '''cholinesterase''' or '''choline esterase''' is
> an [[esterase]] that lyses [[choline]]-based [[ester]]s, several of which
> serve as [[neurotransmitter]]s. Thus, it is either of two [[enzyme]]s that
> [[catalyst|catalyze]] the [[hydrolysis]] of these [[cholinergic]]
> neurotransmitters, such as breaking [[acetylcholine]] into choline and
> [[acetic acid]]. These reactions are necessary to allow a cholinergic
> [[neuron]] to return to its resting state after activation.
> }}
>

>> *Categories - bread crumb like hierarchical and cross referencing
>> categorization and navigation*
>> By creating a set of categorical navigation pages the whole of fields of
>> knowledge on Wikipedia could be categorized.
>>
>> By having a set of clickable list of hierarchical categories displayed
>> like 'bread crumb' navigation lists under the page title the user could
>> quickly navigate this hierarchy.
>>
>> By adding pop up menus to the separating chevrons with each subcategories
>> elements cross category navigation would be made possible.
>>
>> Double clicking on chevrons should navigate to the categorical navigation
>> page.
>>

> Category markdown syntax :-
>
> {{category <category-list>}}
>

> Example :-
>
> {{category [[biochemistry]] [[Brain]] [[Enzyme]] [[esterase]]
> [[cholinesterase]]}}
>

> Added to page :-
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cholinesterase
>
> The new proposed markdown extensions do not interfere with existing page
> rendering
>
> Markdown :-
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cholinesterase&action=edit
>
> Hope this is okay !
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron Gray

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

MZMcBride-2
Hi Aaron,

You probably want to file these ideas in Phabricator Maniphest:
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org>. Some of these ideas may already exist
as Maniphest tasks. Phabricator lets interested users subscribe to the
ideas in order to receive targeted e-mail notifications, provide feedback,
and it gives us a centralized place to track progress, blockers to
implementation, and more. I'm glad to see you're excited to contribute.

MZMcBride

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Andre Klapper-2
[Removing unrelated mailing lists from the list of recipients]

Hi Aaron,

in addition to what MZ already replied,
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug
is also recommended to take a look at.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Aaron Gray-6
Hi MZ & Andre,

Had a look at the phabricator project manager but there does not really
seem to be an overview of projects jut an alphabetical list with only the
first 25 or so projects showing. I tried doing searches on summary,
category and classification. But no joy.

I looked at the MediaWiki source code and found that Categories do what my
categories "bread crumbs" idea does but is a name clash. Really what I was
trying to express was *classification* anyway and these n classification
category in Wikipedia so that could be used as a base then things like the
animal kingdom, biology, physics, etc, can be subcateories or classified
under the classification category. So it jut needs bread crumbs implemented
as an extension that uses the classification category and fits in with a
{{classification ...}} markdown syntax extension.

So anyway I am open to any guidance.

Regards,

Aaron

On 9 October 2016 at 17:46, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> You probably want to file these ideas in Phabricator Maniphest:
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org>. Some of these ideas may already exist
> as Maniphest tasks. Phabricator lets interested users subscribe to the
> ideas in order to receive targeted e-mail notifications, provide feedback,
> and it gives us a centralized place to track progress, blockers to
> implementation, and more. I'm glad to see you're excited to contribute.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Jon Robson-2
Hi Aaron
*Summaries - popup summaries for pages*
sounds a little like the project my team is working on -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Popups

It would be awesome to have your assistance in testing/coding (if you're
that way inclined).

If you are interested in this project please come say hi in
#wikimedia-mobile on IRC or join the conversation here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Beta_Features/Hovercards

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 at 17:24 Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi MZ & Andre,
>

> Had a look at the phabricator project manager but there does not really
>
> seem to be an overview of projects jut an alphabetical list with only the
>
> first 25 or so projects showing. I tried doing searches on summary,
>
> category and classification. But no joy.
>

> I looked at the MediaWiki source code and found that Categories do what my
>
> categories "bread crumbs" idea does but is a name clash. Really what I was
>
> trying to express was *classification* anyway and these n classification
>
> category in Wikipedia so that could be used as a base then things like the
>
> animal kingdom, biology, physics, etc, can be subcateories or classified
>
> under the classification category. So it jut needs bread crumbs implemented
>
> as an extension that uses the classification category and fits in with a
>
> {{classification ...}} markdown syntax extension.
>

> So anyway I am open to any guidance.
>

> Regards,
>

> Aaron
>

> On 9 October 2016 at 17:46, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hi Aaron,
>

> > You probably want to file these ideas in Phabricator Maniphest:
>
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org>. Some of these ideas may already
> exist
>
> > as Maniphest tasks. Phabricator lets interested users subscribe to the
>
> > ideas in order to receive targeted e-mail notifications, provide
> feedback,
>
> > and it gives us a centralized place to track progress, blockers to
>
> > implementation, and more. I'm glad to see you're excited to contribute.
>

> > MZMcBride

Re: Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Aaron Gray-6
Hi Jon,

I added my ideas to the Talk discussion. Thanks ever so much for pointing
me in the right direction.

On 10 October 2016 at 06:51, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Aaron
> *Summaries - popup summaries for pages*
> sounds a little like the project my team is working on -
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Popups
>
> It would be awesome to have your assistance in testing/coding (if you're
> that way inclined).
>
> If you are interested in this project please come say hi in
> #wikimedia-mobile on IRC or join the conversation here:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Beta_Features/Hovercards
>
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 at 17:24 Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi MZ & Andre,
> >

> > Had a look at the phabricator project manager but there does not really
> >
> > seem to be an overview of projects jut an alphabetical list with only the
> >
> > first 25 or so projects showing. I tried doing searches on summary,
> >
> > category and classification. But no joy.
> >

> > I looked at the MediaWiki source code and found that Categories do what
> my
> >
> > categories "bread crumbs" idea does but is a name clash. Really what I
> was
> >
> > trying to express was *classification* anyway and these n classification
> >
> > category in Wikipedia so that could be used as a base then things like
> the
> >
> > animal kingdom, biology, physics, etc, can be subcateories or classified
> >
> > under the classification category. So it jut needs bread crumbs
> implemented
> >
> > as an extension that uses the classification category and fits in with a
> >
> > {{classification ...}} markdown syntax extension.
> >

> > So anyway I am open to any guidance.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Aaron
> >

> > On 9 October 2016 at 17:46, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Aaron,
> >

> > > You probably want to file these ideas in Phabricator Maniphest:
> >
> > > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org>. Some of these ideas may already
> > exist
> >
> > > as Maniphest tasks. Phabricator lets interested users subscribe to the
> >
> > > ideas in order to receive targeted e-mail notifications, provide
> > feedback,
> >
> > > and it gives us a centralized place to track progress, blockers to
> >
> > > implementation, and more. I'm glad to see you're excited to contribute.
> >

> > > MZMcBride

Re: [Wiki-research-l] Feature Requests: Suggeted new features

Aaron Gray-6
Toby,

Right thanks for the top level info, I am going to step back and think
about this a bit.

I have tried out the Hovercards beta which provides something like
summaries and its very nice so have made a few suggestions regarding the
idea. i.e. optional explicit summary markdown for overriding implicit
summary generation behaviour. And summary types like simple and expert
summaries and accessing summaries for terms from wikctionary.

I am looking into the mechanics of whats involved in implementing both
summary markup and classification "bread crumbs" as extensions.

Regards,

Aaron