Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

MZMcBride-2
The English Wikipedia has become "one of those sites with a feedback tab"?
Example: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham>.

How did this happen?

MZMcBride

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
Well, that would be part of the Article Feedback Tool, Version 5. We're
experimenting around with new placements - personally, I *loathe* this
design, but que sera. We'll be dropping it in a couple of weeks and playing
around with others.

On 9 February 2012 01:08, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The English Wikipedia has become "one of those sites with a feedback tab"?
> Example: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham>.
>
> How did this happen?
>
> MZMcBride

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Oliver Keyes wrote:
> Well, that would be part of the Article Feedback Tool, Version 5. We're
> experimenting around with new placements - personally, I *loathe* this
> design, but que sera. We'll be dropping it in a couple of weeks and playing
> around with others.

I think obstructing the content area (article area) should be unquestionably
off-limits. I'm not sure how this ever even became negotiable.

At a minimum, the tab needs to be moved to the sidebar side so that it's out
of the way. There's no feedback that you're soliciting that's so important
that it should stand in the way of reading an infobox or other actual page
content.

MZMcBride

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
As said above...it is being moved ;p

On 9 February 2012 01:18, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oliver Keyes wrote:
> > Well, that would be part of the Article Feedback Tool, Version 5. We're
> > experimenting around with new placements - personally, I *loathe* this
> > design, but que sera. We'll be dropping it in a couple of weeks and
> playing
> > around with others.
>
> I think obstructing the content area (article area) should be
> unquestionably
> off-limits. I'm not sure how this ever even became negotiable.
>
> At a minimum, the tab needs to be moved to the sidebar side so that it's
> out
> of the way. There's no feedback that you're soliciting that's so important
> that it should stand in the way of reading an infobox or other actual page
> content.
>
> MZMcBride

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Trần Nguyễn Minh Huy
When this feature is enabled in other projects? It is very useful, and
necessary for all Wikimedia wikis.
Thanks!

2012/2/9, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]>:

> As said above...it is being moved ;p
>
> On 9 February 2012 01:18, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Oliver Keyes wrote:
>> > Well, that would be part of the Article Feedback Tool, Version 5. We're
>> > experimenting around with new placements - personally, I *loathe* this
>> > design, but que sera. We'll be dropping it in a couple of weeks and
>> playing
>> > around with others.
>>
>> I think obstructing the content area (article area) should be
>> unquestionably
>> off-limits. I'm not sure how this ever even became negotiable.
>>
>> At a minimum, the tab needs to be moved to the sidebar side so that it's
>> out
>> of the way. There's no feedback that you're soliciting that's so important
>> that it should stand in the way of reading an infobox or other actual page
>> content.
>>
>> MZMcBride

> Oliver Keyes
> Community Liaison, Product Development
> Wikimedia Foundation

--Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
---volunteer and translator of
the Wikimedia Foundation---

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
We'll hopefully be finishing up development and testing within the next
couple of months; I'm not sure how we plan to handle deployment to other
wikis. Would you like me to find out?

On 9 February 2012 02:09, Minata Hatsune <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When this feature is enabled in other projects? It is very useful, and
> necessary for all Wikimedia wikis.
> Thanks!
>
> 2012/2/9, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]>:
> > As said above...it is being moved ;p

> We're
> >> playing
> >>
> >> I think obstructing the content area (article area) should be
> >> unquestionably
> >> off-limits. I'm not sure how this ever even became negotiable.
> >>
> >> At a minimum, the tab needs to be moved to the sidebar side so that it's
> >> out
> >> of the way. There's no feedback that you're soliciting that's so
> important
> >> that it should stand in the way of reading an infobox or other actual
> page
> >> content.
> >>
> >> MZMcBride

> > Oliver Keyes
> > Community Liaison, Product Development
> > Wikimedia Foundation

> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
> ---volunteer and translator of
> the Wikimedia Foundation---

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

John Mark Vandenberg
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The English Wikipedia has become "one of those sites with a feedback tab"?
> Example: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Russell_Burnham>.
>
> How did this happen?

Eww.  Why is it called "Improve this page"?

It allows readers to provide feedback; that feedback is not likely to
result in improvements except in rare cases.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Trần Nguyễn Minh Huy
Uhm. Can I require to enable in any project through MediaZilla (such
as my homewiki)? Anyway, it should be deployment to many wiki, help
improve content quality.

2012/2/9, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]>:

> We'll hopefully be finishing up development and testing within the next
> couple of months; I'm not sure how we plan to handle deployment to other
> wikis. Would you like me to find out?
>
> On 9 February 2012 02:09, Minata Hatsune <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When this feature is enabled in other projects? It is very useful, and
>> necessary for all Wikimedia wikis.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> 2012/2/9, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]>:
>> > As said above...it is being moved ;p

>> We're

>> important
>> page

>> > --
>> > Oliver Keyes
>> > Community Liaison, Product Development
>> > Wikimedia Foundation
>> >

>> --
>> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
>> ---volunteer and translator of
>> the Wikimedia Foundation---

> Oliver Keyes
> Community Liaison, Product Development
> Wikimedia Foundation

--Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
---volunteer and translator of
the Wikimedia Foundation---

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
Minata: I imagine the plan is "deploy on enwiki, and if other wikis ask for
it, they can have it too", but I'll find out :).

likely to
result in improvements except in rare cases" - actually, no. We ran several
rounds of hand-coding, and between 35-70 percent (rounding; it depends on
which form you use, and which criteria) of feedback is deemed useful by
editors. This could be praise for the article, suggestions for new things,
or notes of errors with existing content.

On 9 February 2012 02:22, Minata Hatsune <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Uhm. Can I require to enable in any project through MediaZilla (such
> as my homewiki)? Anyway, it should be deployment to many wiki, help
> improve content quality.
>
> 2012/2/9, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]>:
> > We'll hopefully be finishing up development and testing within the next
> > couple of months; I'm not sure how we plan to handle deployment to other
> > wikis. Would you like me to find out?
> >
> > On 9 February 2012 02:09, Minata Hatsune <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> When this feature is enabled in other projects? It is very useful, and
> >> necessary for all Wikimedia wikis.
> >> Thanks!

> >> We're

> >> important
> >> page

> >> --
> >> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
> >> ---volunteer and translator of
> >> the Wikimedia Foundation---

> > Oliver Keyes
> > Community Liaison, Product Development
> > Wikimedia Foundation

> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
> ---volunteer and translator of
> the Wikimedia Foundation---

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
Okay, Minata: looks like I was right; if wikis want it after the design
process is finished, they can just ask for it.

--
Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Brandon Harris-4

On 2/8/12 6:42 PM, Oliver Keyes wrote:
> Okay, Minata: looks like I was right; if wikis want it after the design
> process is finished, they can just ask for it.

        Let's be clear about our (admittedly informal) policy here:

        If a wiki wants to have it deployed, they will have to ensure that it
has been localized to their language as well as determining any other
configuration elements (for example, WikiLove requires a localized
configuration file).

        -b.

--
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

K. Peachey-2
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Brandon Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>        Let's be clear about our (admittedly informal) policy here:

What is informal about our process?

* Community gains consenus for feature to be activated (and the
desired config if required)
* Bug gets filled in BugZilla
* Extension is translated if needed at TranslateWiki (If needed)
* Eventually gets activated by a Shellie.

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
Well, has it ever been written down anywhere and solidified as Official
Standard Operating Procedure? If not, structured or not, it's informal ;)

On 9 February 2012 03:20, K. Peachey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Brandon Harris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >        Let's be clear about our (admittedly informal) policy here:
>
> What is informal about our process?
>
> * Community gains consenus for feature to be activated (and the
> desired config if required)
> * Bug gets filled in BugZilla
> * Extension is translated if needed at TranslateWiki (If needed)
> * Eventually gets activated by a Shellie.

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, has it ever been written down anywhere and solidified as Official
> Standard Operating Procedure? If not, structured or not, it's informal ;)

It is definitely way past the realm of "everyone knows this is the way
things are done, even if it's not officially stamped 'policy'".
However, the process is described on-wiki already:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requesting_wiki_configuration_changes>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Minata: I imagine the plan is "deploy on enwiki, and if other wikis ask for
> it, they can have it too", but I'll find out :).

> likely to
> result in improvements except in rare cases" - actually, no. We ran several
> rounds of hand-coding, and between 35-70 percent (rounding; it depends on
> which form you use, and which criteria) of feedback is deemed useful by
> editors. This could be praise for the article, suggestions for new things,
> or notes of errors with existing content.

And what percentage of the feedback resulted in article improvements?

And will that scale when feedback is being left about all articles?

Even useful notes left on the talk page are unlikely to result in
article improvements within a reasonable timeframe.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
On the first one, no idea - if you have any idea how we can test this
without full deployment, please, go ahead. On the second, it should scale;
we're using a randomised sample (minus DAB pages)

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the first one, no idea - if you have any idea how we can test this
> without full deployment, please, go ahead.

feedback was sent to contributors?
did the contributor make use of the feedback?
if not, why not?

> On the second, it should scale;
> we're using a randomised sample (minus DAB pages)

I'm not talking about server scalability.  im suggesting that you dont
know whether the community can use the feedback effectively without
answering the first question.

"Improve this page" is unfounded until there is evidence that the
feedback *will* be used by the community.

p.s. it should be "Improve this article"

--
John Vandenberg

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
We'll experiment with wordings as the testing progresses. On your other
point - again, how can we find this out without testing it? If little is
done with it, we can look into junking it, but nothing ventured...

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We'll experiment with wordings as the testing progresses. On your other
> point - again, how can we find this out without testing it? If little is
> done with it, we can look into junking it, but nothing ventured...

you say that you have existing feedback, and contributors have seen
this feedback.
You *can* already determine whether that feedback (already in hand)
resulted in article improvements.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: Feedback tab on the English Wikipedia

Oliver Keyes-4
Sure..except we weren't asking contributors to use this feedback to fix up
the articles. I do know that even without any standing system to improve
it, several article improvements were made. All I can give you
quantifiably, though, is that editors saw the feedback, and thought a big
chunk of it was "stuff I can use".