Figures, and what made the fundraiser take off?

Figures, and what made the fundraiser take off?

Jeremy Tobacman
To see in more detail how the recent fund drive went, I started looking at
the raw data and put some figures together here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tobacman/Stats/Fundraising
.  Comparing this most recent fundraiser to the two earlier fundraisers in
2005, it seems very clear that *something* happened to make the week
following 12/28/2005 a very good one for the Foundation.  More specifically,
previous fundraisers had tended to fizzle, and this one seemed to be taking
a similar path until its New Year's fireworks.

   How can we figure out what made this fundraiser take off?

Maybe additional data, tests, or experiments could help in future planning--
It would be great if we could have the techniques in place for such
remarkable success from the very beginning of the next fundraiser.

Jeremy

Re: Figures, and what made the fundraiser take off?

Sydney Poore aka FloNight
Thank you for the information Jeremy. I was curious about  how this
drive compared with previous.
Sydney

Jeremy Tobacman wrote:

>To see in more detail how the recent fund drive went, I started looking at
>the raw data and put some figures together here:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tobacman/Stats/Fundraising
>.  Comparing this most recent fundraiser to the two earlier fundraisers in
>2005, it seems very clear that *something* happened to make the week
>following 12/28/2005 a very good one for the Foundation.  More specifically,
>previous fundraisers had tended to fizzle, and this one seemed to be taking
>a similar path until its New Year's fireworks.
>
>   How can we figure out what made this fundraiser take off?
>
>Maybe additional data, tests, or experiments could help in future planning--
>It would be great if we could have the techniques in place for such
>remarkable success from the very beginning of the next fundraiser.
>
>Jeremy

Sydney Poore

Go Bengals!

Re: Figures, and what made the fundraiser take off?

Angela-5
On 1/23/06, Jeremy Tobacman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To see in more detail how the recent fund drive went, I started looking at
> the raw data and put some figures together here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tobacman/Stats/Fundraising

Thanks for making these stats. It's interesting to have this sort of overview.

>    How can we figure out what made this fundraiser take off?

I'm not sure there's any one answer. Jimmy's appeal
<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Personal_Appeal> was put out on
the 31st which certainly had an effect, but the timing (Christmas
ending) and the press around this time could also have played a part
in the take off in the final week.

Angela

Re: Figures, and what made the fundraiser take off?

Florence Devouard-3
Jeremy Tobacman wrote:

> To see in more detail how the recent fund drive went, I started looking at
> the raw data and put some figures together here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tobacman/Stats/Fundraising
> .  Comparing this most recent fundraiser to the two earlier fundraisers in
> 2005, it seems very clear that *something* happened to make the week
> following 12/28/2005 a very good one for the Foundation.  More specifically,
> previous fundraisers had tended to fizzle, and this one seemed to be taking
> a similar path until its New Year's fireworks.
>
>    How can we figure out what made this fundraiser take off?
>
> Maybe additional data, tests, or experiments could help in future planning--
> It would be great if we could have the techniques in place for such
> remarkable success from the very beginning of the next fundraiser.
>
> Jeremy

Hiya,

Very interesting !
Another point of comparison that might be worth... Alexa's traffic
during that time.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=3m&size=large&compare_sites=&y=t&url=http://www.wikipedia.org#top

More visitors ---> more donations ?

Ant

Re: Re: Figures, and what made the fundraiser take off?

Jeremy Tobacman
Many thanks for the ideas and the link.

Two follow-up questions:  Is there a way to extract the numerical traffic
data from Alexa?  Or, better yet, is there publicly-available data of page
requests made of the WMF servers?  Then perhaps I could analyze the fraction
of page requests (of regular pages and of fundraising-specific pages
including Jimbo's appeal) that resulted in donations.

And one question looking further ahead:  might it be possible to test out
different fundraising strategies systematically?  What information would we
need to collect in the future in order to figure out what works best?

Jeremy