Filter Recentchanges by categories

Magnus Manske
Recent changes has become rather crowded with all that cursed popularity
of Wikipedia :-)

One often-mentioned solution was the ability to filter Recent changes by
categories. Well, now you have it!

It's turned off by default, no worries. To enable, set
    $wgAllowCategorizedRecentChanges
in LocalSettings.php

It uses my aforementioned class to determine wether an article belongs
to a category or one of its sub(subsubsub...)categories. Categories can
be entered on the Recent changes page, separated by "|". You can filter
for articles belonging or either any or all of the given categories
(OR/AND).

Once the usual authorities had a look at it, I'd like it to be enabeled
on some medium-sized wikipedia to determine the impact on the database
slave servers, which might or might not be severe.

I think this would be a very efficient way of managing our "RC patrol
forces" by dividing the huge amout of changes-to-be-checked into smaller
chunks.

What's missing is "articles that don't belong to any category". Yet!

Magnus

Re: Filter Recentchanges by categories

Александр Сигачёв
> One often-mentioned solution was the ability to filter Recent changes by
> categories. Well, now you have it!
> I'd like it to be enabeled
> on some medium-sized wikipedia to determine the impact on the database
> slave servers, which might or might not be severe.

Any news?

--
Alexander Sigachov

????????? ??????? schrieb:

>> One often-mentioned solution was the ability to filter Recent changes by
>> categories. Well, now you have it!
>> I'd like it to be enabeled
>> on some medium-sized wikipedia to determine the impact on the database
>> slave servers, which might or might not be severe.
>>

> Any news?

Nope, still waiting for someone to turn it on...

Magnus

Re: Filter Recentchanges by categories

Domas Mituzas
Hello,

> Nope, still waiting for someone to turn it on...

Have you guys seen Special:Recentchangeslinked ? it works on
categories as well.

Domas

Domas Mituzas schrieb:
> Hello,
>
>> Nope, still waiting for someone to turn it on...
>
> Have you guys seen Special:Recentchangeslinked ? it works on
> categories as well.
Yes, but not on their subcategories. So, "Related Changes" of Physics
shows only the changes made to articles *directly* in
[[Category:Physics]], not to those in [[Category:Quantum mechanics]].

Magnus