Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

WereSpielChequers-2
I've just been introduced to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby which lists articles near your current location and from the thumbnail it is fairly obvious whether it has an image or not.

Has anyone tried using this in outreach to photographers?

WereSpielchequers

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Federico Leva (Nemo)
WereSpielChequers, 16/02/2016 10:26:
> I've just been introduced to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby which lists articles near
> your current location and from the thumbnail it is fairly obvious
> whether it has an image or not.

Why not use https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ ?

Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
<grin> the wikishootme has a shitload of items that do not have an image.. Nearby does NOT give me anything without an image as it so happens. </grin>

Wikishootsme is great for photographers.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 16 February 2016 at 11:10, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
WereSpielChequers, 16/02/2016 10:26:
I've just been introduced to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby which lists articles near
your current location and from the thumbnail it is fairly obvious
whether it has an image or not.

Why not use https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ ?

Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

WereSpielChequers-2
Thanks Nemo,

Why not? Because I didn't know it existed, thanks for telling me about it.

Back to my original question, now updated,

I've just been introduced to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby
which lists articles near your current location and  https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ which can show you articles near places your are planning to visit. From the thumbnails it is fairly obvious whether it has an image or not.

Has anyone tried using these in outreach to photographers?

Regards

WereSpielChequers

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:10:42 +0100
From: "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Commons-l] Finding articles without photographs near
        your current location.

WereSpielChequers, 16/02/2016 10:26:
> I've just been introduced to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby which lists articles near
> your current location and from the thumbnail it is fairly obvious
> whether it has an image or not.

Why not use https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ ?
 Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
the two are not the same. Wikipedia will only show what Wikipedia knows. Wikidata is more extended.

Bots have imported the majority if not all GPS locations.. certainly from en.wp.
Thanks,
      GerardM

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:10:42 +0100
From: "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <[hidden email]>
        your current location.

WereSpielChequers, 16/02/2016 10:26:
> I've just been introduced to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby which lists articles near
> your current location and from the thumbnail it is fairly obvious
> whether it has an image or not.

Why not use https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ ?
 Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Jonathan Cardy, 16/02/2016 15:16:
> Has anyone tried using these in outreach to photographers?

The professional photographers that WMIT is in contact with have little
interest for such activities, presumably because they don't see a
benefit for their career.

As for the Wikimedia Commons photographers, wiki[pm]edians usually
respond well to such calls to action, although I don't usually see
floods of photos coming. On the Italian Wikipedia, maps like
https://tools.wmflabs.org/wiki-needs-pictures/ recently raised some
attention from the community.

Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Luis Villa-2
One advisory, one suggestion about wikishootme:

Advisory: since it goes by Wikidata, it has lots of gaps - e.g., I'm planning on taking a bike ride today, and the first 4-5 nearby items suggested by wikishootme had pictures in enwiki that just hadn't been added to wikidata yet. So prepare to spend some time pre-photography with <a href="useful.jshttps://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Magnus_Manske/wikidata_useful.js">useful.js or another similar tool to make sure you're actually going towards something that is useful. That may make it less useful for wikiamateurs :/

Suggestion: Maybe integrate that functionality directly into wikishootme? ("this has no picture, but the article does, review and add it?")

(FYI, there is also a several minute lag between adding images in wikidata and having them removed from wikishootme.)

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:21 AM Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
<grin> the wikishootme has a shitload of items that do not have an image.. Nearby does NOT give me anything without an image as it so happens. </grin>

Wikishootsme is great for photographers.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 16 February 2016 at 11:10, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
WereSpielChequers, 16/02/2016 10:26:
I've just been introduced to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby which lists articles near
your current location and from the thumbnail it is fairly obvious
whether it has an image or not.

Why not use https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikishootme/ ?

Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Luis Villa, 16/02/2016 18:45:
> Suggestion: Maybe integrate that functionality directly into
> wikishootme? ("this has no picture, but the article does, review and add
> it?")

The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Nemo

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Luis Villa-2
FWIW, this doesn't work for me on mobile (at least on Firefox for Android) - beyond the clunky UI, results never load. So it'll need some work to become an integrated solution for would-be photographers.

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Magnus Manske-2
What doesn't load - wikishootme or wdfist? The latter is really not intended for mobile, with hover buttons and all.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, this doesn't work for me on mobile (at least on Firefox for Android) - beyond the clunky UI, results never load. So it'll need some work to become an integrated solution for would-be photographers.

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Luis Villa-2
wdfist loads, but no results ever show. Totally fine that it doesn't support mobile - obviously a different kind of tool. Just saying it's not the solution for wikishootme :)

Luis

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:51 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
What doesn't load - wikishootme or wdfist? The latter is really not intended for mobile, with hover buttons and all.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, this doesn't work for me on mobile (at least on Firefox for Android) - beyond the clunky UI, results never load. So it'll need some work to become an integrated solution for would-be photographers.

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Magnus Manske-2
It is, unless you insist on matching existing images to Wikidata items on your phone instead of your desktop/laptop :)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:53 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
wdfist loads, but no results ever show. Totally fine that it doesn't support mobile - obviously a different kind of tool. Just saying it's not the solution for wikishootme :)

Luis

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:51 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
What doesn't load - wikishootme or wdfist? The latter is really not intended for mobile, with hover buttons and all.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, this doesn't work for me on mobile (at least on Firefox for Android) - beyond the clunky UI, results never load. So it'll need some work to become an integrated solution for would-be photographers.

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Luis Villa-2
It would be nice to have a fairly complete solution on my phone, since that's what I have with me when I'm traveling or out and about. If I relied only on wikishootme when I went for my long bike ride Tuesday, I would have spent a lot of time going to places that actually already had photos despite what wikishootme said, which makes it a not-very-useful tool.

Luis

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is, unless you insist on matching existing images to Wikidata items on your phone instead of your desktop/laptop :)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:53 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
wdfist loads, but no results ever show. Totally fine that it doesn't support mobile - obviously a different kind of tool. Just saying it's not the solution for wikishootme :)

Luis

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:51 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
What doesn't load - wikishootme or wdfist? The latter is really not intended for mobile, with hover buttons and all.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, this doesn't work for me on mobile (at least on Firefox for Android) - beyond the clunky UI, results never load. So it'll need some work to become an integrated solution for would-be photographers.

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

Magnus Manske-2
Just load the area on your desktop/laptop first, then click through to WDFIST and add the ones already on Wikipedia. Wikidata has more items with images than any single Wikipedia (save en).

The root problem, ob course, lies with Wikipedia being free text. There is no way to say "wait, Wikipedia has an image already!", unless you want to include every navbox logo etc. and generate a huge false negative list.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 3:44 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be nice to have a fairly complete solution on my phone, since that's what I have with me when I'm traveling or out and about. If I relied only on wikishootme when I went for my long bike ride Tuesday, I would have spent a lot of time going to places that actually already had photos despite what wikishootme said, which makes it a not-very-useful tool.

Luis

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is, unless you insist on matching existing images to Wikidata items on your phone instead of your desktop/laptop :)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:53 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
wdfist loads, but no results ever show. Totally fine that it doesn't support mobile - obviously a different kind of tool. Just saying it's not the solution for wikishootme :)

Luis

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:51 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
What doesn't load - wikishootme or wdfist? The latter is really not intended for mobile, with hover buttons and all.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:38 PM Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, this doesn't work for me on mobile (at least on Firefox for Android) - beyond the clunky UI, results never load. So it'll need some work to become an integrated solution for would-be photographers.

Luis

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Federico Leva (Nemo), 16/02/2016 18:59:
> The "standard" way would be to make wikishootme output a pagepile to be
> fed into wdfist: https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/

Correction: there *is* already such a warning which links wdfist, with a
query using around[]: "You can also check if Wikipedia already has
suitable images for these items, here" e.g.
https://tools.wmflabs.org/fist/wdfist/index.html?wdq=around%5b625,45.000000,9.000000,1%5d%20and%20noclaim%5b18%5d&depth=3&language=en&project=wikipedia&no_images_only=1&prefilled=1

Re: Finding articles without photographs near your current location.

metasj
I just discovered wikishootme via this thread, thank you.  Looking forward to using it.

Jonathan: I've never done that sort of outreach, just photo contests.  But sending such a list to a photo archive or local photographer, & asking for representative photos, is a nice idea.  You might ask Geograph.org if they did similar outreach.

Magnus:
Wikidata has more items with images than any single Wikipedia (save en)

As it shoot be.

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266" target="_blank">+1 617 529 4266

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 7:49 AM Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just load the area on your desktop/laptop first, then click through to WDFIST and add the ones already on Wikipedia. Wikidata has more items with images than any single Wikipedia (save en).

I'm doing that! But it is awkward/less effective when I'm out and traveling. (I should already be on my bicycle today and instead I am still at my laptop - a bad outcome ;)

The root problem, ob course, lies with Wikipedia being free text. There is no way to say "wait, Wikipedia has an image already!", unless you want to include every navbox logo etc. and generate a huge false negative list.

I know it is hard :) But Wikidata game and wikidata_useful.js are both pretty good at it, at least in my experience (may be different in areas with less dense photography?)

I'm not asking for Wikishootme to automatically identify items that don't have images; that obviously is very difficult. But it might be helpful to have a small icon in each row that takes you to something like the Wikidata game "no image" for that Q item.

So something like:

1. Look at wikishootme.
2. See an item on the list that is very famous; think "it must already have a picture"

3, currently: on desktop, as you say, I can use wdfist or wikidata_useful.js - if I know those tools exist!

3, currently: on mobile, or on desktop if I don't know those tools exist: hard to solve the problem.

3, ideally: click on a button that takes me to http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-game/#mode=no_image for that Q item. I quickly fix the problem, and go back to finding sites to photograph.

Hope that feedback helps! to be clear, I think this is an awesome tool, I'm offering suggestions to make it even more useful/fun for people trying to find things to do/ways to contribute.
Luis