Finding french-german translations - Newbie question

Finding french-german translations - Newbie question

Fabian Cretton
Hi all,

And first of all thank you for that great news (to me) of an RDF version of wiktionary.

For my first trials, I am willing to retrieve translations of words between French and German.
I did manage to get "random" translations following the SPARQL examples.

But then I tried a more specific search to find translation of Suisse (Switzerland in english), and couldn't find the translation.
I then simplified the query to:
    ?swordRes rdfs:label "Suisse"@fr .
   optional{?swordRes terms:hasTranslation ?twordRes }.

with no result for ?twordRes.

However, I can see many translations on this original page:
http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Suisse

And then this also happened with other words I tried, as Valais (a swiss canton).
Maybe I am not familiar enough yet with the ontology ?

By the way, I can't access: http://wiktionary.dbpedia.org/page/dog which gives me:
Execution of "/DAV/VAD/dbpedia/description.vsp" failed.SQL Error: 37000 SQ074: Line 272: syntax error at ')' before 'order'
thank you for your help
Fabian

Re: Finding french-german translations - Newbie question

Karl Bartel
> For my first trials, I am willing to retrieve translations of words between French and German.
> I did manage to get "random" translations following the SPARQL examples.
>
> But then I tried a more specific search to find translation of Suisse (Switzerland in english), and couldn't find the translation.

I'm not too familiar with the data, either. But it seems to me that
these translations have not been extracted properly from Wiktionary.
I've also seen much room for improvement in the German Wikipedia
translation extraction.

Re: Finding french-german translations - Newbie question

Karl Bartel
The results on dbnary (http://kaiko.getalp.org/sparql) look better for
this case:

PREFIX dbnary: <http://kaiko.getalp.org/dbnary#>
PREFIX eng: <http://kaiko.getalp.org/dbnary/eng/>
PREFIX lexvo: <http://lexvo.org/id/iso639-3/>
PREFIX lemon: <http://www.lemon-model.net/lemon#>

SELECT DISTINCT ?def_value ?written_trans
WHERE {
  ?lexform lemon:writtenRep "Suisse"@fr .
  ?lexentry lemon:canonicalForm ?lexform ;
            lemon:sense ?sense .
  ?sense lemon:definition ?def .
  ?def lemon:value ?def_value
  OPTIONAL {
    ?trans dbnary:isTranslationOf ?lexentry ;
           dbnary:targetLanguage lexvo:deu ;
           dbnary:writtenForm ?written_trans .
  }
}

Any comments on the differences between dbnary and dbpedia-wiktionary
are welcome. It's quite time consuming to judge the projects as an
outsider.

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Fabian Cretton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> And first of all thank you for that great news (to me) of an RDF version of wiktionary.
>
> For my first trials, I am willing to retrieve translations of words between French and German.
> I did manage to get "random" translations following the SPARQL examples.
>
> But then I tried a more specific search to find translation of Suisse (Switzerland in english), and couldn't find the translation.
> I then simplified the query to:
>     ?swordRes rdfs:label "Suisse"@fr .
>    optional{?swordRes terms:hasTranslation ?twordRes }.
>
> with no result for ?twordRes.
>
> However, I can see many translations on this original page:
> http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Suisse
>
> And then this also happened with other words I tried, as Valais (a swiss canton).
> Maybe I am not familiar enough yet with the ontology ?
>
> By the way, I can't access: http://wiktionary.dbpedia.org/page/dog which gives me:
> Execution of "/DAV/VAD/dbpedia/description.vsp" failed.SQL Error: 37000 SQ074: Line 272: syntax error at ')' before 'order'
> thank you for your help
> Fabian

Re: Finding french-german translations - Newbie question

Fabian Cretton
Thank you Karl,

I also found out about that other project, but your query is very helpful for me.

One major difference between the two seems to me that, as I have seen in papers but to be confirmed, the Dbnary version don't handle yet links to other datasets (eventhough they talk about LLOD), whereas DBPedia-wiktionary does have links to DBPedia at least.

Any other information would be appreciated, as you said.
Thanks
Fabian