Fine-grain data access

Eric Cheminot
Hello,

I'm totally new to Semantic Mediawiki, and I'm considering using it for a
collaborative wiki edition tool. One feature I'm after is the possibility
to manage read and write accesses to the information. In other words, users
may have different access rights for different entities. At least at
resource/page level but also at each information level (based on the
ontology) would be nice.

Is that possible? Or already included, already done in another project or
extension?

Thanks!

-ec

Re: Fine-grain data access

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Eric,

At this point, I'm not sure that there are any good tools left for
controlling read and write access. There used to be quite a number of
extensions that did it, but they may have all become unmaintained; the one
I've most recently recommended is Lockdown; but that too looks like it no
longer supports recent versions of MediaWiki:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown

(If anyone knows of an up-to-date access control extension, feel free to
chime in.)

With that said, I'm not a big fan of strict access control within wikis. I
think preventing write access is unnecessarily restrictive, while
preventing read access is too risky: there are too many ways, both
high-tech and low-tech, to get around restrictions.

Let me take the opportunity here to plug my Approved Revs extension:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Approved_Revs

It doesn't restrict anyone from editing any page, but it prevents those
edits from appearing on the displayed page until they are approved by an
administrator. I think it's a more wiki-like approach to write access.

-Yaron