First Introduction [Kaushik Reddy]

K. Kaushik Reddy
Hi developers,

This is K. Kaushik Reddy from India. I'm keen into Data science & good with
python. I am looking to participate in GSoC'19 for your organisation. I
also have gone through the ideas page for GSoC'19 , but looking for few
data science projects with python as the code base this year.
In future, I'm planning to take  Research & Development as my career. I
always wanted to know how you people plan and execute a project in action.

Secondly, Could you please guide me with relevant bugs that need to be
fixed, so as to get involved in GSoC'19  along with you guys.
Hoping to learning more and have fun with you people.

Best,
K. Kaushik Reddy.

Re: First Introduction [Kaushik Reddy]

Eran Rosenthal
Hi Kaushik,
First, I think you will find some interesting ideas in the links from:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Advanced_technology

As for relevant bugs - I suggest to start with
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/artificial-intelligence/
Some of the tasks there are based on improving existing models or
ORES/revscoring and they are more established (there are similar models for
other languages/previous versions of the models with less
features/different model) and contributions there will more likely have
practical usage in the near term.
Some of the tasks there more novel/research kind - such as tasks related to
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T172795 (detecting sockpuppets).

Once you find an interesting task, it is good to comment in pahbricator
before actually starting to work on it to understand the next steps and
whether this is a small task that may be useful to get you introducted to
the system, or large task that may even fit to few months project/GSOC.

Eran

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 5:47 PM K. Kaushik Reddy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> This is K. Kaushik Reddy from India. I'm keen into Data science & good with
> python. I am looking to participate in GSoC'19 for your organisation. I
> also have gone through the ideas page for GSoC'19 , but looking for few
> data science projects with python as the code base this year.
> In future, I'm planning to take  Research & Development as my career. I
> always wanted to know how you people plan and execute a project in action.
>
> Secondly, Could you please guide me with relevant bugs that need to be
> fixed, so as to get involved in GSoC'19  along with you guys.
> Hoping to learning more and have fun with you people.
>
> Best,
> K. Kaushik Reddy.

Re: First Introduction [Kaushik Reddy]

Neil Patel Quinn
Hello Kaushik! Welcome to Wikimedia!

Besides the ideas that Eran suggested, you might be to work with my
team, Product
Analytics <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Product_Analytics>, since we do
quite a lot of data analysis in Python (check out our Phabricator workboard
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/product-analytics/> to get an idea).
The main obstacle is that a lot of the data we work with is kept
confidential for privacy reasons, but there is still quite a bit of public
data about wiki editing that we work with.

If you're interested, why don't you check our those two links and then send
me an email directly to discuss further?