First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Felipe Ortega
Hi all.

Finally, the first upload of images created with WikiXRay is available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiXRay

For next updates I'll try to use Commonist for faster upload of lots of files.

Any comments about the graphics are welcomed.

Saludos.

Felipe Ortega.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Oldak
On 22/01/07, Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Finally, the first upload of images created with WikiXRay is available:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiXRay
>
> For next updates I'll try to use Commonist for faster upload of lots of
> files.
>
> Any comments about the graphics are welcomed.
>
> Saludos.
>
> Felipe Ortega.

Great work! The scientist in me is looking forward to seeing the
statistical analyses you make of the project.

--
Oldak Quill ([hidden email])

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Platonides
Felipe Ortega escribió:

> Hi all.
>
> Finally, the first upload of images created with WikiXRay is available:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiXRay
>
> For next updates I'll try to use Commonist for faster upload of lots of
> files.
>
> Any comments about the graphics are welcomed.
>
> Saludos.
>
> Felipe Ortega.

Wouldn't the page fit better on meta than on en.wiki?

Does Evolution in time section have images? It'd be interesting the
number of articles evolution on pt: as they use bot creation quite a lot.

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Александр Сигачёв
"As we can see, one common feature is that in each histogram we can
identify two different populations. The lower half represents the tiny
articles population, most probably composed by stubs. The higher half
represents the standard articles population."

No. The lower half is redirects.

--
Alexander Sigachov
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/user:ajvol

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Nicholas Moreau
Agreed, Meta would be better.

Felipe-- would you consider writing a short summary on this for
Signpost, the English Wikipedia's internal communication source, to
explain this all in laymen's terms to the community?

Nick

On 1/22/07, Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Felipe Ortega escribió:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Finally, the first upload of images created with WikiXRay is available:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiXRay
> >
> > For next updates I'll try to use Commonist for faster upload of lots of
> > files.
> >
> > Any comments about the graphics are welcomed.
> >
> > Saludos.
> >
> > Felipe Ortega.
>
> Wouldn't the page fit better on meta than on en.wiki?
>
> Does Evolution in time section have images? It'd be interesting the
> number of articles evolution on pt: as they use bot creation quite a lot.

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Piotr Konieczny-2
Nicholas Moreau wrote:

> Agreed, Meta would be better.
>
> Felipe-- would you consider writing a short summary on this for
> Signpost, the English Wikipedia's internal communication source, to
> explain this all in laymen's terms to the community?

Second, and note that some of the images have been tagged on Commons as
not having sufficient information to be considered free (sigh, copyright
paranoia strikes again... :( ).

--
Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus

"Be seeing you, Commander."
        -- Bester to Sinclair in Babylon 5:"Mind War"

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Felipe Ortega
Yes, I've just generated the images, but I still haven't  had  enough time  to upload  them.

You can check the page this weekend for the new updates, your feedback about ptwiki will be very interesting :- )

Well, I put the page on enwiki in the Wikipedia branch. I don't really know if that is the best place for it. However, I've also created a link to the enwiki page from statistics article on meta.

Platonides <[hidden email]> escribió:
Felipe Ortega escribió:

> Hi all.
>
> Finally, the first upload of images created with WikiXRay is available:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiXRay
>
> For next updates I'll try to use Commonist for faster upload of lots of
> files.
>
> Any comments about the graphics are welcomed.
>
> Saludos.
>
> Felipe Ortega.

Wouldn't the page fit better on meta than on en.wiki?

Does Evolution in time section have images? It'd be interesting the
number of articles evolution on pt: as they use bot creation quite a lot.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Felipe Ortega
Thanks! This is an important feedback.

I think in that half there is a mix of redirects, stubs and other tiny pages, but I'm still not quite sure about the % for each component.

So you mean redirects are the most important contribution in that side... Really interesting. I'll try a more in-depth analysis of those aspects.

Saludos.

Felipe.

Александр Сигачёв <[hidden email]> escribió:
"As we can see, one common feature is that in each histogram we can
identify two different populations. The lower half represents the tiny
articles population, most probably composed by stubs. The higher half
represents the standard articles population."

No. The lower half is redirects.

--
Alexander Sigachov
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/user:ajvol

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Felipe Ortega
I submitted a paper explaining in detail preliminar conclusions for ISSI 2007 Conference (currently pending of approval).

So it should be easy for me now to make a short summary about those and other new results on Signpost. Thanks for the idea, I'll try to create some spare time for that...

Saludos.

Felipe.

On 1/22/07, Platonides wrote:

> Felipe Ortega escribió:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Finally, the first upload of images created with WikiXRay is available:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiXRay
> >
> > For next updates I'll try to use Commonist for faster upload of lots of
> > files.
> >
> > Any comments about the graphics are welcomed.
> >
> > Saludos.
> >
> > Felipe Ortega.
>
> Wouldn't the page fit better on meta than on en.wiki?
>
> Does Evolution in time section have images? It'd be interesting the
> number of articles evolution on pt: as they use bot creation quite a lot.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com

Re: First upload of quantitative results (WikiXRay)

Felipe Ortega
I don't know what do you want to say with free...

I think I have uploaded all the images under the GNU-FDL license, so you can use them for free (as long as you credit the original author (me :-) ), and provide them under the same license....).

Felipe.

Piotr Konieczny <[hidden email]> escribió:
Nicholas Moreau wrote:

> Agreed, Meta would be better.
>
> Felipe-- would you consider writing a short summary on this for
> Signpost, the English Wikipedia's internal communication source, to
> explain this all in laymen's terms to the community?

Second, and note that some of the images have been tagged on Commons as
not having sufficient information to be considered free (sigh, copyright
paranoia strikes again... :( ).

--
Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus

"Be seeing you, Commander."
-- Bester to Sinclair in Babylon 5:"Mind War"

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com

Charts and graphs collected

Piotr Konieczny-2
I have collected Wikipedia-related graphs and charts in a single category:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_charts
Please note that there is also
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_statistics
where those files should be moved from the en-Wiki category, meta
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_statistics and similar
categories on other WikiMedia wikis (and their subcategories...).

Next on my agenda is to go through every page in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_statistics and create a
short table of content.