Flagged Revisions

private musings
Hooray!

Big thanks to the developers and put your tipple of choice on ice.... those
of us blessed with ancient powers of foresight are excited that flagged
revisions is finally enabled on the english wikipedia!

Well the smart money's actually on next tuesday, with the official
announcement 'live' shortly after.....

till next time,
PM.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Brion Vibber-3
On 8/20/09 4:16 AM, private musings wrote:
> Big thanks to the developers and put your tipple of choice on ice.... those
> of us blessed with ancient powers of foresight are excited that flagged
> revisions is finally enabled on the english wikipedia!
>
> Well the smart money's actually on next tuesday, with the official
> announcement 'live' shortly after.....

Well, I dunno about that... ;)

But here's where we stand right now:

We've set up a couple more test sites to do some final shakedown testing
of Flagged Revisiosn and Reader Feedback, respectively:

http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/
http://readerfeedback.labs.wikimedia.org/

I'm currently in the process of importing the complete set of
en.wikipedia featured articles onto both of these to play with. It'll be
at least a couple hours before they're fully populated.

The ReaderFeedback component will probably go live sooner, as it's
easier to drop in and has less visible impact on the page. The
FlaggedRevs setup is currently using the config from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions/Implementation#PHP_configuration

After a couple more weeks of solid shakedown I hope we can get something
prepped that folks are happy with trying. :) (Over in dev-land we're
using a simple FlaggedRevs setup for our manual pages on
http://www.mediawiki.org/ and are pretty happy so far.)

-- brion

Re: Flagged Revisions

Joseph Reagle
On Thursday 20 August 2009, Brion Vibber wrote:
> We've set up a couple more test sites to do some final shakedown testing
> of Flagged Revisiosn and Reader Feedback, respectively:

What's reader feedback?

Re: Flagged Revisions

Brion Vibber-3
On 8/20/09 12:38 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> The ReaderFeedback component will probably go live sooner, as it's
> easier to drop in and has less visible impact on the page.

For those not familiar with ReaderFeedback, there's some background and
screen shots at:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ReaderFeedback

It allows readers to give feedback (duh ;) on the quality of a page,
sticking a little bar down at the bottom of the article for it. (You've
probably seen similar sorts of feedback solicitation on other sites like
"Did you find this article helpful?") The scores can then be weighted by
age and graphed, giving folks some idea of how an article is being
perceived over time.

The exact details of what to ask and how many levels to request are
configurable.

(This was developed as part of Flagged Revisions originally but has been
split off so it's easier to deploy.)

-- brion

Re: Flagged Revisions

Sage Ross
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Brion Vibber<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The exact details of what to ask and how many levels to request are
> configurable.

Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?

I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
"Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
is what gets deployed on en-wiki.

-Sage

Re: Flagged Revisions

Philippe Beaudette-2

On Aug 20, 2009, at 3:58 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> It allows readers to give feedback (duh ;) on the quality of a page,
> sticking a little bar down at the bottom of the article for it.
> (You've
> probably seen similar sorts of feedback solicitation on other sites
> like
> "Did you find this article helpful?") The scores can then be
> weighted by
> age and graphed, giving folks some idea of how an article is being
> perceived over time.

We've been using ReaderFeedback on http://strategy.wikimedia.org for
about a week now; it's a cool little tool.  We're using it to rate a
few aspects of proposals.  Feel free to try it out over there (but do
rate the proposal accurately, please, don't just play around - it's a
live data-set).

Philippe

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Facilitator, Strategic Planning

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

Re: Flagged Revisions

Jay Litwyn-2
"Sage Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Brion Vibber<[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> The exact details of what to ask and how many levels to request are
>> configurable.
>>

> Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?
>
> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
> and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.

Lest it be seen as encouraging howto information, which should be external.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Jonathan Hall-7
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 07:31:51AM -0600, Jay Litwyn wrote:

> "Sage Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Brion Vibber<[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> The exact details of what to ask and how many levels to request are
> >> configurable.
> >>

> > Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?
> >
> > I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
> > "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
> > uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
> > and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
> > is what gets deployed on en-wiki.
>
> Lest it be seen as encouraging howto information, which should be external.

Perhaps "informativeness" (it needs rephrasing) would be better than
"usefulness" for this.

--
Jonathan G Hall <[hidden email]>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0xB3D66A8C

Re: Flagged Revisions

Thomas Dalton
2009/8/20 Sage Ross <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Brion Vibber<[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> The exact details of what to ask and how many levels to request are
>> configurable.
>>

> Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?
>
> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
> and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.

I agree. The only appropriate response to "How useful is this
article?" is "Useful for what?".

Re: Flagged Revisions

David Gerard-2
2009/8/21 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/8/20 Sage Ross <[hidden email]>:

>> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
>> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
>> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
>> and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
>> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.

> I agree. The only appropriate response to "How useful is this
> article?" is "Useful for what?".

For the now-largely-abandoned article validation feature, here's a
suggested list:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/En_validation_topics#Consolidated_plan

The list there is:

Overall quality
Neutral Point Of View
Factual accuracy
Quality of references
Completeness/conciseness
Quality of lead section
Images and illustrations
Grammar, spelling, word choice, wikification and layout
What were you looking for?
Did you find what you were looking for?
Is this the article you expected at this title?
How relevant is the topic to a general encyclopedia?

Obviously, that would be just a bit of a wall of text and probably not
all of those should be deployed in the first instance :-)

- d.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Erik Moeller-4
2009/8/20 Sage Ross <[hidden email]>:
> Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?

The intent is to set up
http://readerfeedback.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page with a bit
more introductory text and then get the word out to start a
conversation about the rating criteria we want to use for this, and
indeed whether we want to use this at all. Because part of the point
of this feature is to be able to compare perception of quality across
languages, those criteria need to IMO be defined across at least all
languages of a project.

I'll probably only get to this part of the setup post-Wikimania, but
if you want to start setting up pages yourself, please don't hesitate.

> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
> and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.

I suggested "usefulness" for the initial setup, but as noted above,
this is one of the things we need to figure out. I like usefulness or
helpfulness because it reflects the direct perceived value that our
readers are deriving from the information we provide. Yes, that value
depends on what they were looking for to begin with, and one would
hope that some of them would provide further comments. But, for
example, it would be interesting to know if our articles about movies
or books, or about historical subjects, or whatever other category,
are organized in a manner that our readers consider helpful to find
the stuff they're looking for.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Flagged Revisions

Jay Litwyn-2
"David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> 2009/8/21 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
>> 2009/8/20 Sage Ross <[hidden email]>:
>
>>> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
>>> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
>>> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
>>> and "Presentation". I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
>>> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.
>
>> I agree. The only appropriate response to "How useful is this
>> article?" is "Useful for what?".
>

> For the now-largely-abandoned article validation feature, here's a
> suggested list:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/En_validation_topics#Consolidated_plan
>
> The list there is:
>
> Overall quality
> Neutral Point Of View
> Factual accuracy
> Quality of references
> Completeness/conciseness
> Quality of lead section
> Images and illustrations
> Grammar, spelling, word choice, wikification and layout
> What were you looking for?
> Did you find what you were looking for?
> Is this the article you expected at this title?
> How relevant is the topic to a general encyclopedia?
>
> Obviously, that would be just a bit of a wall of text and probably not
> all of those should be deployed in the first instance :-)

The whole thing, methinks would be on a RATE tab. "What were you looking
for?" is a search box with your current search in it. I do not think anybody
asks all of those questions unless they contribute. If they answer in the
positive, then maybe a template should disappear. If they answer in the
negative, then maybe it should appear. Of course, if they edit, that might
be a quick way of learning which templates apply, so the user could place
the template closer to where it belongs in an article, or just follow links
in the template to directions on making improvements. Questions like that
should normally offer only a preview of the article, an edit window, and
once confirmed, a save button. In some languages, save buttons are not
activated until a user has done the preview.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Carcharoth
How does this differ from the talk page assessments? If this is meant
only for readers-who-don't-edit, then you will have to tell editors
that, as there will be some editors that try and skew the feedback for
a particular article.

Carcharoth

2009/8/21 Carcharoth <[hidden email]>:

> How does this differ from the talk page assessments? If this is meant
> only for readers-who-don't-edit, then you will have to tell editors
> that, as there will be some editors that try and skew the feedback for
> a particular article.

* People are used to "rate this article" boxes on web pages
* Talk page comments tend to be treated by experienced editors as
editorial suggestions rather than reader feedback and often get "no,
bugger off" responses. Not ideal, even when arguably appropriate.

- d.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Jay Litwyn-2
Perhaps the ratings system should only let readers remove a template,
then send them a welcome message (to an IP#, no less) that transcludes
the template of their expertise, and encourages them to follow the links in
it,
and by those actions encourage them to ensure that their rating is even
more true.
To know and enjoy what you are good at is three blessings, because two of
them are the same.

news:[hidden email]...

2009/8/21 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/8/20 Sage Ross <[hidden email]>:
>> Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?
>
> The intent is to set up
> http://readerfeedback.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page with a bit
> more introductory text and then get the word out to start a
> conversation about the rating criteria we want to use for this, and
> indeed whether we want to use this at all. Because part of the point
> of this feature is to be able to compare perception of quality across
> languages, those criteria need to IMO be defined across at least all
> languages of a project.

I'm not sure that kind of comparison will be possible. It will be
different people doing the assessments on each project and even with
the best translations the criteria we use will have different nuances
in different languages. For example, I expect languages with few
literate speakers will do better than English since there are fewer
alternatives to Wikipedia articles, so "good" just means better than
nothing, rather than better than the various other reference materials
written in English.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Ray Saintonge
Jay Litwyn wrote:

> "Sage Ross" wrote
>
>> Is there a page to discuss the configuration(s) of ReaderFeedback?
>> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
>> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
>> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
>> and "Presentation".  I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
>> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.
>>
> Lest it be seen as encouraging howto information, which should be external.

What's so bad about encouraging howto information?  I'm sure that a lot
of people would find such practical information very useful.

Ec

Re: Flagged Revisions

Thomas Dalton
2009/8/21 Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]>:
> What's so bad about encouraging howto information?  I'm sure that a lot
> of people would find such practical information very useful.

Sure, it would be very useful, but it isn't within Wikipedia's scope.
Perhaps a new WikiHowTo project? (Several such projects already exist:
http://www.google.com/search?q=wikihowto Maybe no need for a new
Wikimedia one.)

Re: Flagged Revisions

2009/8/21 Jay Litwyn <[hidden email]>:
> "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

>> For the now-largely-abandoned article validation feature, here's a
>> suggested list:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/En_validation_topics#Consolidated_plan
>> The list there is:

> The whole thing, methinks would be on a RATE tab. "What were you looking
> for?" is a search box with your current search in it.

Oooooh. Well spotted. Yes, the Special:Search page needs a "What were
you looking for, in detail?/Did you find it?" on it.

> I do not think anybody
> asks all of those questions unless they contribute. If they answer in the
> positive, then maybe a template should disappear. If they answer in the
> negative, then maybe it should appear. Of course, if they edit, that might
> be a quick way of learning which templates apply, so the user could place
> the template closer to where it belongs in an article, or just follow links
> in the template to directions on making improvements.

I'd expect here we're talking about a simple "rate this article"
clicky thing for readers who can't be bothered editing or are scared
to, but still want to make Wikipedia better somehow.

(As I noted on the linked page, making full data available to anyone
who wants it is a good idea, and absolutely appropriate as it's part
of working on the encyclopedia. That may even go as far as making full
contributor/IP data available just as article history is. Thinking
about it, though, that may discourage ratings - they're anonymous on
most sites.)

- d.

Re: Flagged Revisions

Jay Litwyn-2
"David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news://news.gmane.org/[hidden email]...

> 2009/8/21 Jay Litwyn <[hidden email]>:
>> "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>
>>> For the now-largely-abandoned article validation feature, here's a
>>> suggested list:
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/En_validation_topics#Consolidated_plan
>>> The list there is:
>
>> The whole thing, methinks would be on a RATE tab. "What were you looking
>> for?" is a search box with your current search in it.
>

> Oooooh. Well spotted. Yes, the Special:Search page needs a "What were
> you looking for, in detail?/Did you find it?" on it.
>

>> I do not think anybody
>> asks all of those questions unless they contribute. If they answer in the
>> positive, then maybe a template should disappear. If they answer in the
>> negative, then maybe it should appear. Of course, if they edit, that
>> might
>> be a quick way of learning which templates apply, so the user could place
>> the template closer to where it belongs in an article, or just follow
>> links
>> in the template to directions on making improvements.
>

> I'd expect here we're talking about a simple "rate this article"
> clicky thing for readers who can't be bothered editing or are scared
> to, but still want to make Wikipedia better somehow.

It could be a set of five bowling pins on the right quarter of a content
warning, with a green checkmark on it by default and a red X over it if the
user clicks. If the user saves a change, then that template disappears and
they get a message on their talk page telling them how to reinforce their
change. Most people would go the other way around and delay removing a
content warning until they had done what they could about it--save final
change and call it a strike. There could of course be people who can do a
lot about a content warning without reading any fine manual, then become
monsters and write more into our manual.
_______
http://www.lovetolearnplace.com/SpecialDays/Labor/Workman%20of%20God%20Worksheet.pdf