Flash extension for MW; any problems with recent MW versions? Any plans to incorporate into MW?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Flash extension for MW; any problems with recent MW versions? Any plans to incorporate into MW?

Ken McDonald-2
We'd like to start using the very nice Flash plugin on our site; we do
3D graphics, and explanatory movies would be very useful to us.

At the moment we're using 1.6.8; since the plugin works on 1.6.3, I'm
assuming (without testing, naughty me) that it will also work on 1.6.8.
Are there any problems with subsquent versions of MW? We'll be upgrading
soon.

This will be a major commitment on our part; we need to make sure that
this or some other Flash ability will remain part of MW in the future.
Are there any plans to incorporate it as a part of the core MW distro?
Alternatively, is the codebase for it small enough and simple enough
that a PHP hacker (not me, I'm a Python guy, but we have another PHP
guy) could likely fix problems that might arise in the future?

Many thanks,
Ken

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash extension for MW; any problems with recent MW versions? Any plans to incorporate into MW?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 2/13/07, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At the moment we're using 1.6.8; since the plugin works on 1.6.3, I'm

> This will be a major commitment on our part; we need to make sure that
> this or some other Flash ability will remain part of MW in the future.

It's already not a part of MW if it listed as working for 1.6.3 when
1.9.2 is the latest version.

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash extension for MW; any problems with recent MW versions? Any plans to incorporate into MW?

Fernando Correia
In reply to this post by Ken McDonald-2
2007/2/13, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]>:

> We'd like to start using the very nice Flash plugin on our site; we do
> 3D graphics, and explanatory movies would be very useful to us.
>
> At the moment we're using 1.6.8; since the plugin works on 1.6.3, I'm
> assuming (without testing, naughty me) that it will also work on 1.6.8.
> Are there any problems with subsquent versions of MW? We'll be upgrading
> soon.
>
> This will be a major commitment on our part; we need to make sure that
> this or some other Flash ability will remain part of MW in the future.
> Are there any plans to incorporate it as a part of the core MW distro?
> Alternatively, is the codebase for it small enough and simple enough
> that a PHP hacker (not me, I'm a Python guy, but we have another PHP
> guy) could likely fix problems that might arise in the future?

You could consider the Flash Extension I wrote. It works on newer
versions of MediaWiki.

I don't know if it would work on an old version like 1.6. Maybe; you
could try it.

You also could try to make a local copy of your wiki on your PC and
try to upgrade it to the latest version.

I did an upgrade today from 1.8.2 to 1.9.2 on our production wiki and
all went very well.

The Flash extension is:

Extension:LinkSwf
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LinkSwf

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l