Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Flominator
Another new addition to The Commons:

http://www.flickr.com/people/bibliothequedetoulouse/

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Nicolas Guérin-3
English version : For the license, it's probably public domain now, but we have no indication about when the photographs died. Does anyone have an idea how to proceed? Send an e-mail to the library of Toulouse to ask them to etablish a list of the photographs and when they died?

French version : En terme de licence c'est probablement tombé dans le domaine public, encore que on ne sait pas l'année de mort de la plupart des photographes. Est-ce que quelqu'un à une idée? Envoyer un courrier à la bibliothèque demandant la liste des photographes et leur année de mort?

Greatings

    Guérin Nicolas

2008/6/29 Florian Straub <[hidden email]>:
Another new addition to The Commons:

http://www.flickr.com/people/bibliothequedetoulouse/

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Andrew Gray
2008/7/9 Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]>:
> English version : For the license, it's probably public domain now, but we
> have no indication about when the photographs died. Does anyone have an idea
> how to proceed? Send an e-mail to the library of Toulouse to ask them to
> etablish a list of the photographs and when they died?

"Among several historic collections, there are 5,000 photographs of
life in the Pyrénées, the mountains that divide France from Spain. The
pictures paint a unique landscape of life in the region at the
beginning of the 20th Century, and were taken by Eugene Trutat, a
former curator and director of a local museum..."

All the photographs seem to be labelled "Fonds Trutat", & are his work
- can we find out when this guy died? Yes we can, as the Americans say
;-)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/745449@N25/

"Directeur du Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle de Toulouse et figure
majeure du Pyrénéisme, Eugène Trutat (1840-1910)..."

Is 1910 a suitable death-date for public domain in France?

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Magnus Manske-2
Well, I looked at the first photo in the photostream, and the
photographer is "Trutat, Eugène".

That guy has its own wikipedia article:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Trutat
which says he dies in 1910.

We could have a script to create/update a photographer list. We could
maintain a list ourselves, and have tools query it.

Magnus

2008/7/9 Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]>:

> English version : For the license, it's probably public domain now, but we
> have no indication about when the photographs died. Does anyone have an idea
> how to proceed? Send an e-mail to the library of Toulouse to ask them to
> etablish a list of the photographs and when they died?
>
> French version : En terme de licence c'est probablement tombé dans le
> domaine public, encore que on ne sait pas l'année de mort de la plupart des
> photographes. Est-ce que quelqu'un à une idée? Envoyer un courrier à la
> bibliothèque demandant la liste des photographes et leur année de mort?
>
> Greatings
>
>     Guérin Nicolas
>

> 2008/6/29 Florian Straub <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Another new addition to The Commons:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/people/bibliothequedetoulouse/
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Nicolas Guérin-3
Yes, it's Eugène Trutat dead in 1910 ( i found the following  link in french speaking about those  pictures http://bibliotheque20.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/flickr-en-bibliotheque-toulouse-droit/ )

All the pictures uploaded on Flickr by "Bibliothèque de Toulouse" are from him and it seems that they plan to upload thousands of pictures (the full collection is about 5000 pictures)

As it's written that images on Flickr are "scans" from original pictures, it's clearly Public Domain according to the french law.

Cordially

   Guérin Nicolas

2008/7/9 Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>:
Well, I looked at the first photo in the photostream, and the
photographer is "Trutat, Eugène".

That guy has its own wikipedia article:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Trutat
which says he dies in 1910.

We could have a script to create/update a photographer list. We could
maintain a list ourselves, and have tools query it.

Magnus

2008/7/9 Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]>:
> English version : For the license, it's probably public domain now, but we
> have no indication about when the photographs died. Does anyone have an idea
> how to proceed? Send an e-mail to the library of Toulouse to ask them to
> etablish a list of the photographs and when they died?
>
> French version : En terme de licence c'est probablement tombé dans le
> domaine public, encore que on ne sait pas l'année de mort de la plupart des
> photographes. Est-ce que quelqu'un à une idée? Envoyer un courrier à la
> bibliothèque demandant la liste des photographes et leur année de mort?
>
> Greatings
>
>     Guérin Nicolas
>

> 2008/6/29 Florian Straub <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Another new addition to The Commons:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/people/bibliothequedetoulouse/
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Guillaume Paumier

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Florian Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another new addition to The Commons:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/people/bibliothequedetoulouse/
>
> Best regards,

Yep, sorry, I thought this had already been posted.

Before importing these images en masse from flickr, I'd like to
contact them first to see if we can find a more direct solution; this
library is in my city and I've got some contacts with their
representatives.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Nicolas Guérin-3
well, it is fast enough to download them with Flinfo :

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Fonds_Trutat

Guérin Nicolas

Le 9 juillet 2008 23:14, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Florian Straub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another new addition to The Commons:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/people/bibliothequedetoulouse/
>
> Best regards,

Yep, sorry, I thought this had already been posted.

Before importing these images en masse from flickr, I'd like to
contact them first to see if we can find a more direct solution; this
library is in my city and I've got some contacts with their
representatives.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]
« Quand on veut plaire dans le monde, il faut se résoudre à se laisser
apprendre beaucoup de choses qu'on sait par des gens qui les ignorent.
» Nicolas de Chamfort.

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Flominator
Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on fri, 11 jul 2008
17:26:29 +0200

> well, it is fast enough to download them with Flinfo :
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Fonds_Trutat

... which now automatically puts PD-old below Trutat images :)

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Nicolas Guérin-3
Cool!

It's still strange that for the "date" it wrote often "January 19, 2038 at 00:13"
I have to replace it on most of the pictures.

Best regards

   Guérin Nicolas

2008/7/11 Florian Straub <[hidden email]>:
Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on fri, 11 jul 2008
17:26:29 +0200

> well, it is fast enough to download them with Flinfo :
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Fonds_Trutat

... which now automatically puts PD-old below Trutat images :)

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Platonides
Nicolas Guérin a écrit:
> Cool!
>
> It's still strange that for the "date" it wrote often "January 19, 2038
> at 00:13"
> I have to replace it on most of the pictures.
>
> Best regards
>
>    Guérin Nicolas

Some kind of [[w:Year_2038_problem]], but 00:13 is before the epoch
January 19, 2038 3:14:07
I guess those images are before 1901-12-13 ?

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Flominator
Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on  fri, 11 jul 2008
21:11:24 +0200

[Flinfo]

> It's still strange that for the "date" it wrote often "January 19, 2038
> at 00:13"
> I have to replace it on most of the pictures.

is it always the same date? Do you have some examples for me?

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Nicolas Guérin-3
Many pictures, examples :

For image ID 2555386507, Flinfo gives December 31, 1969 at 20:58
For image ID 2555854762, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
For image ID 2574843817, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
For image ID 2553729622, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
For image ID 2553390610, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
etc...

Best Regards

   Guérin Nicolas

2008/7/13 Florian Straub <[hidden email]>:
Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on  fri, 11 jul 2008
21:11:24 +0200

[Flinfo]

> It's still strange that for the "date" it wrote often "January 19, 2038
> at 00:13"
> I have to replace it on most of the pictures.

is it always the same date? Do you have some examples for me?

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Nicolas Guérin-3
I forgot to say, yes all the pictures with a "Flinfo date" problem are taken before 1900 as i remember.
I give many examples below with pictures taken in 1885, 1892, 1895, etc.
Most of time, comes the date "January 19, 2038 at 00:13", even if the pictures on Flickr are tagged with different years before 1900.

Many pictures, examples :

For image ID 2555386507, Flinfo gives December 31, 1969 at 20:58
For image ID 2555854762, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
For image ID 2574843817, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
For image ID 2553729622, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
For image ID 2553390610, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
etc...

Another thing, i tried to upload pictures from the Smithonian Institution, but it appeared another problem,
i.e. many pictures have the mention "unknown author". Even if those pictures are old and are released under
the license "no copyright restrictions known", i'm still not sure we can upload them. Can someone give me some
indications about that?

Best Regards

   Guérin Nicolas

2008/7/13 Florian Straub <[hidden email]>:

Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on  fri, 11 jul 2008
21:11:24 +0200

[Flinfo]

> It's still strange that for the "date" it wrote often "January 19, 2038
> at 00:13"
> I have to replace it on most of the pictures.

is it always the same date? Do you have some examples for me?

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Flominator
Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on tue, 15 jul 2008
08:35:06 +0200

> Another thing, i tried to upload pictures from the Smithonian
> Institution, but it appeared another problem,
> i.e. many pictures have the mention "unknown author". Even if those
> pictures are old and are released under
> the license "no copyright restrictions known", i'm still not sure we can
> upload them. Can someone give me some
> indications about that?

Try
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Template:Flickr-no_known_copyright_restrictions

Best regards,

Flo

Re: Flickr: Bibliothèque de Toulouse

Flominator
Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]> wrote on mon, 14 jul 2008
20:21:45 +0200

> > 2008/7/13 Florian Straub <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> >     Nicolas Guérin <[hidden email]
> >     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote on  fri, 11 jul 2008
> >     21:11:24 +0200
> >
> >     [Flinfo]
> >
> >      > It's still strange that for the "date" it wrote often "January
> >     19, 2038
> >      > at 00:13"
> >      > I have to replace it on most of the pictures.
> >
> >     is it always the same date? Do you have some examples for me?
> >
> >     Best regards,
> >
> >     Flo
> >
 > Many pictures, examples :
 >
 > For image ID 2555386507, Flinfo gives December 31, 1969 at 20:58
 > For image ID 2555854762, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
 > For image ID 2574843817, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
 > For image ID 2553729622, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
 > For image ID 2553390610, Flinfo gives January 19, 2038 at 00:13
 > etc...

Should be fixed now: Dates before January 1, 1970 and after today are no
longer inserted.

Best regards,

Flo