Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Shun Fukuzawa
Hi all,

I'm Shun, Japanese wikipedian.

I attended Wikimania and saw Florence's session. I think that was a
great pretentation.

Please give me the presentation file. I intend to show it to the
Japanese people that didn't come to wikimania with my impression.

Thanks.

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Casey Brown-3
I do not think it is published anywhere, you are going to have to e-mail her
for a copy, but keep in mind that she may not have it typed up or might just
not share! :-P

On 8/8/07, Shun Fukuzawa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm Shun, Japanese wikipedian.
>
> I attended Wikimania and saw Florence's session. I think that was a
> great pretentation.
>
> Please give me the presentation file. I intend to show it to the
> Japanese people that didn't come to wikimania with my impression.
>
> Thanks.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Christophe Henner
As far as I know, all the slides of all the presentations will be published.

Please easy guys, we are just coming back from Taipei, after a journey
of nearly 24 hours.

On 08/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not think it is published anywhere, you are going to have to e-mail her
> for a copy, but keep in mind that she may not have it typed up or might just
> not share! :-P
>

> On 8/8/07, Shun Fukuzawa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm Shun, Japanese wikipedian.
> >
> > I attended Wikimania and saw Florence's session. I think that was a
> > great pretentation.
> >
> > Please give me the presentation file. I intend to show it to the
> > Japanese people that didn't come to wikimania with my impression.
> >
> > Thanks.

> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>
> ---
> this address will probably get lost.

schiste

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Casey Brown-3
They should be, but isn't (s)he talking about the opening speech?  If so, I
don't think *that* will be published, but of course, I could be and have
been wrong.

On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As far as I know, all the slides of all the presentations will be
> published.
>
> Please easy guys, we are just coming back from Taipei, after a journey
> of nearly 24 hours.
>
> On 08/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I do not think it is published anywhere, you are going to have to e-mail
> her
> > for a copy, but keep in mind that she may not have it typed up or might
> just
> > not share! :-P
> >

> > On 8/8/07, Shun Fukuzawa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm Shun, Japanese wikipedian.
> > >
> > > I attended Wikimania and saw Florence's session. I think that was a
> > > great pretentation.
> > >
> > > Please give me the presentation file. I intend to show it to the
> > > Japanese people that didn't come to wikimania with my impression.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

> > Casey Brown
> > Cbrown1023
> >
> > ---
> sent
> > this address will probably get lost.

> schiste

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Florence Devouard-3
She, not he, please.

I see NO reason why it should not be published. Consider it a ccbysa
generally.

I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
"helpful tool". Meanwhile, Shun, I appreciate your support and will send
you the ppt slides. More interesting perhaps will be the record. But I
have no idea if recording really worked at Wikimania and if or when it
will be stored on our site.

ant

Casey Brown wrote:

> They should be, but isn't (s)he talking about the opening speech?  If so, I
> don't think *that* will be published, but of course, I could be and have
> been wrong.
>
> On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As far as I know, all the slides of all the presentations will be
>> published.
>>
>> Please easy guys, we are just coming back from Taipei, after a journey
>> of nearly 24 hours.
>>
>> On 08/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I do not think it is published anywhere, you are going to have to e-mail
>> her
>>> for a copy, but keep in mind that she may not have it typed up or might
>> just
>>> not share! :-P

>>> --
>>> Casey Brown
>>> Cbrown1023
>>>
>>> ---
>> sent
>>> this address will probably get lost.
>>>

>> --
>> schiste

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Casey Brown-3
Can you send us a link when you upload it? :) I would like to see it as
well! :-P

On 8/8/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> She, not he, please.
>
> I see NO reason why it should not be published. Consider it a ccbysa
> generally.
>
> I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
> Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
> it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
> the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
> a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
> "helpful tool". Meanwhile, Shun, I appreciate your support and will send
> you the ppt slides. More interesting perhaps will be the record. But I
> have no idea if recording really worked at Wikimania and if or when it
> will be stored on our site.
>
> ant
>
> Casey Brown wrote:
> > They should be, but isn't (s)he talking about the opening speech?  If
> so, I
> > don't think *that* will be published, but of course, I could be and have
> > been wrong.
> >
> > On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As far as I know, all the slides of all the presentations will be
> >> published.
> >>
> >> Please easy guys, we are just coming back from Taipei, after a journey
> >> of nearly 24 hours.

> e-mail
> >> her
> might
> >> just

> >> sent
> >>>

> >> --
> >> schiste

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Effe iets anders
if i'm correct, odt wont work either to be uploaded. You can try to convert
to pdf though. That generally works fine for presentations.

BR, Lodewijk

2007/8/9, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>:

> She, not he, please.
>
> I see NO reason why it should not be published. Consider it a ccbysa
> generally.
>
> I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
> Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
> it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
> the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
> a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
> "helpful tool". Meanwhile, Shun, I appreciate your support and will send
> you the ppt slides. More interesting perhaps will be the record. But I
> have no idea if recording really worked at Wikimania and if or when it
> will be stored on our site.
>
> ant
>
> Casey Brown wrote:
> > They should be, but isn't (s)he talking about the opening speech?  If
> so, I
> > don't think *that* will be published, but of course, I could be and have
> > been wrong.
> >
> > On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As far as I know, all the slides of all the presentations will be
> >> published.
> >>
> >> Please easy guys, we are just coming back from Taipei, after a journey
> >> of nearly 24 hours.

> e-mail
> >> her
> might
> >> just

> >> sent
> >>>

> >> --
> >> schiste

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Majorly
On 09/08/07, effe iets anders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> if i'm correct, odt wont work either to be uploaded. You can try to
> convert
> to pdf though. That generally works fine for presentations.
>
> BR, Lodewijk

Ugh PDF. Well *that* sucks.

--
Alex (Majorly)

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Casey Brown-3
lol, I feel bad for you man!  All of the Wikimania copies are in PDF (well
almost all).

On 8/8/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/08/07, effe iets anders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > if i'm correct, odt wont work either to be uploaded. You can try to
> > convert
> > to pdf though. That generally works fine for presentations.
> >
> > BR, Lodewijk
> >

> Ugh PDF. Well *that* sucks.
>

> --
> Alex (Majorly)

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

On 09/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lol, I feel bad for you man!  All of the Wikimania copies are in PDF (well
> almost all).

Copies of what?
--
Alex (Majorly)

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Casey Brown-3
The presentations.

On 8/8/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > lol, I feel bad for you man!  All of the Wikimania copies are in PDF
> (well
> > almost all).
> >

> Copies of what?
> --
> Alex (Majorly)

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Kat Walsh-4
On 8/9/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
> Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
> it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
> the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
> a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
> "helpful tool".

One comment on this: though I think the rest of it went well, I was
disappointed that your answer on the Wikimania panel spoke more about
the detail of the difficulties of using OpenOffice for presentations
than the importance of supporting free tools.

My presentation was done in OpenOffice; I saved in it .ppt format to
run on the Windows machine doing presentations and it worked perfectly
there, not because I'm good at using it or because I did anything
special, but because it just worked without me having to think about
it.

Importing and exporting from each other, especially from older
versions, are a sticky point in both pieces of software (though most
of the time it works fine), but that's not much of a failure of the
free tool on its own.

I'm not going to argue that all free tools are as good as their
proprietary counterparts (some are worse, some are better), but I
think Impress and PowerPoint are equally as bad, and in the same ways.
:-)

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising
* *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *

On 8/9/07, effe iets anders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> if i'm correct, odt wont work either to be uploaded. You can try to convert
> to pdf though. That generally works fine for presentations.
>
> BR, Lodewijk

Saving it and uploading in .sxi (the old OpenOffice presentation
format) also works -- at least, I was able to upload mine -- though I
agree that it'd be nice to just upload the .odt as created.

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising
* *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *  * *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage | (G)AIM:Mindspillage
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net | email for phone

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Majorly
On 09/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The presentations.
>
> On 8/8/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 09/08/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > lol, I feel bad for you man!  All of the Wikimania copies are in PDF
> > (well
> > > almost all).
> > >

> > Copies of what?
> > --
> > Alex (Majorly)

> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>
> ---
> sent
> this address will probably get lost.

Well I'm sure you can give me the gist of it ;)

--
Alex (Majorly)

Florence Devouard wrote:

> She, not he, please.
>
> I see NO reason why it should not be published. Consider it a ccbysa
> generally.
>
> I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
> Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
> it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
> the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
> a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
> "helpful tool". Meanwhile, Shun, I appreciate your support and will send
> you the ppt slides. More interesting perhaps will be the record. But I
> have no idea if recording really worked at Wikimania and if or when it
> will be stored on our site.

Thank you. It's a best gift for Japanese.

> ant
>
> Casey Brown wrote:
>> They should be, but isn't (s)he talking about the opening speech?  If so, I
>> don't think *that* will be published, but of course, I could be and have
>> been wrong.
>>
>> On 8/8/07, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> As far as I know, all the slides of all the presentations will be
>>> published.
>>>
>>> Please easy guys, we are just coming back from Taipei, after a journey
>>> of nearly 24 hours.

>>> her
>>> just

>>> sent
>>>>
>>> --
>>> schiste

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Ted Chien
Once Anthere uploaded the slides, I believe there will be someone helped to
convert the slides to .odt/.pdf or whatever. :)

The organization team is still working on the recording videos from DV
tapes. You could see http://wikimania.tw/streaming/ for some rough taste
(they are videos from day 2 to day 3 and might have some dropped frames or
other issues for it's been ripped directly from the live streaming). Day 1
videos are on DV tapes and not uploaded yet.

Thanks for Academia Sinica, Taiwan for the support on server.

--
H.T. (Ted)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Htchien

Think Different, Do Smarter, Work for Joy!!

> From: Casey Brown
>
> Can you send us a link when you upload it? :) I would like to see it as
> well! :-P
>
> On 8/8/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > She, not he, please.
> >
> > I see NO reason why it should not be published. Consider it a ccbysa
> > generally.
> >
> > I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
> > Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
> > it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
> > the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
> > a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
> > "helpful tool". Meanwhile, Shun, I appreciate your support and will send
> > you the ppt slides. More interesting perhaps will be the record. But I
> > have no idea if recording really worked at Wikimania and if or when it
> > will be stored on our site.
> >
> > ant
> >
> > Casey Brown wrote:
> > > They should be, but isn't (s)he talking about the opening speech?  If
> > so, I
> > > don't think *that* will be published, but of course, I could be and
have
> > > been wrong.

journey

> > e-mail
> > might

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Mark
Kat Walsh wrote:
> I'm not going to argue that all free tools are as good as their
> proprietary counterparts (some are worse, some are better), but I
> think Impress and PowerPoint are equally as bad, and in the same ways.
> :-)

This is starting to drift off-topic, but for those looking for
free-software presentation options other than Impress, LaTeX with either
Prosper or Beamer is very easy to use unless you're doing fancy
animation or layout stuff.  If you just want some images and bullet
points (as with 95% of presentations), in prosper for example you just
do something like:

\begin{slide}{Your Slide's Title Here}
\begin{itemize}
\item Bullet point 1
\item Bullet point 2
\end{itemize}
\end{slide}

And it automagically generates a slide with 2 bullet points. Added
bonus: inserting equations is much easier than with either PowerPoint or
Impress.

-Mark

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Florence Devouard-3
Hmmmm

I sent the slides yesterday to Shun, but his mail box rejected the
document as being too big.

I tried to open it in OpenOffice, and it messed. Text colors being wrong
mostly. Then, I thought I could open it as ppt and save it as pdf, but
... powerpoint does not save stuff in pdf...

So... HELP ! :-)
Does someone have a mailbox accepting a powerpoint, to save it as odt or
as pdf or anything suitable ? Kat, can you help on this ?

Ant

Hsiang-Tai (Ted) Chien wrote:

> Once Anthere uploaded the slides, I believe there will be someone helped to
> convert the slides to .odt/.pdf or whatever. :)
>
> The organization team is still working on the recording videos from DV
> tapes. You could see http://wikimania.tw/streaming/ for some rough taste
> (they are videos from day 2 to day 3 and might have some dropped frames or
> other issues for it's been ripped directly from the live streaming). Day 1
> videos are on DV tapes and not uploaded yet.
>
> Thanks for Academia Sinica, Taiwan for the support on server.
>
> --
> H.T. (Ted)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Htchien
>
> Think Different, Do Smarter, Work for Joy!!
>

>> From: Casey Brown
>>
>> Can you send us a link when you upload it? :) I would like to see it as
>> well! :-P
>>
>> On 8/8/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> She, not he, please.
>>>
>>> I see NO reason why it should not be published. Consider it a ccbysa
>>> generally.
>>>
>>> I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
>>> Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
>>> it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
>>> the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
>>> a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
>>> "helpful tool". Meanwhile, Shun, I appreciate your support and will send
>>> you the ppt slides. More interesting perhaps will be the record. But I
>>> have no idea if recording really worked at Wikimania and if or when it
>>> will be stored on our site.
>>>
>>> ant

>>> so, I
> have

> journey

>>> e-mail
>>> might

Re: Florence's presentation on Wikimania

Mohamed Magdy-2
Florence Devouard wrote:
> So... HELP ! :-)
> Does someone have a mailbox accepting a powerpoint, to save it as odt or
> as pdf or anything suitable ? Kat, can you help on this ?

Have you tried adding it to a zip file then send it?

Kat Walsh wrote:

> On 8/9/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I thought I could upload it this evening, but... the slides are ppt (as
>> Wikimania participants know...); I just tried to save them in odt, but
>> it changes the color of the text in various places. I tried to change
>> the colors to black again and Open Office froze. So just as I explained
>> a few days ago, I'll use ooo when and only when it deserve the title of
>> "helpful tool".
>
> One comment on this: though I think the rest of it went well, I was
> disappointed that your answer on the Wikimania panel spoke more about
> the detail of the difficulties of using OpenOffice for presentations
> than the importance of supporting free tools.

ok

I heard you had a different answer, but did not have the opportunity to
voice it at that time. Can you offer us your answer ?

For the record and those not present, the comment made to the board was
"could board members in the future, make any efforts to use FLOSS
software (such as open office, rather than powerpoint), and to use free
operating system (my presentation was done on the computer available in
the conference room, which run under windows).

In my view, WMF has pledged for the creation of free educational
content. It has not pledged to support open and free software. Though
many of us support free software, it is not our mission. I do not
consider MY job is to necessarily support free software, though I am
glad doing it when suitable. As such, I am not going to shot me in the
foot in making big public statements to explain the absolute necessity
of using Linux and ooo, when I am not doing it myself. I *know* some
will be disappointed by that, but this is a fact.
I am happy that you have a different view and consider you should
support free software, but as long as it is not written as part of WMF
mission to do so, speaking of the importance of supporting free tools,
should stay a personal pledge .

> My presentation was done in OpenOffice; I saved in it .ppt format to
> run on the Windows machine doing presentations and it worked perfectly
> there, not because I'm good at using it or because I did anything
> special, but because it just worked without me having to think about
> it.

I tried "not to think about it", but it did not magically worked :-(
Practically, it costed me 30 mn of hotline and a lot of stress.

> Importing and exporting from each other, especially from older
> versions, are a sticky point in both pieces of software (though most
> of the time it works fine), but that's not much of a failure of the
> free tool on its own.

Absolutely correct.

> I'm not going to argue that all free tools are as good as their
> proprietary counterparts (some are worse, some are better), but I
> think Impress and PowerPoint are equally as bad, and in the same ways.
> :-)
>
> -Kat

Hmmmm

When I joined Wikipedia in 2002, I did not have the slightest idea what
a free license was. I never thought about it, never cared before. And
for a full year, I had no idea. It only came afterwards. Today, I am
indeed still using OS X (rather than Linux), and still using Powerpoint
(rather than ooo), but if I had not run into Wikipedia, I would still
have no idea what a free license is. If we were doing a poll in the
wikimedia community, I would be very curious to know who *really* know
what a free license is, and how many came to the free world thanks to
Wikipedia.

ant