Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Deutschaneo Ushau
Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If possible could the fonts be changed to Faruma which can be downloaded from here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf . Originally this issue was raised at http://dv.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Glacious#Fonts by User:Vituzzu. I have tried http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WebFonts#Preparing_webfonts but to no result. Can someone help me regarding this matter.
Links: dv.wikipedia.orgdv.wiktionary.org
MediaWiki - 1.21wmf8 (17a7840)PHP - 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.4+wmf1 (apache2handler)MySQL - 5.1.53-wm-log
I have posted this question at the MediaWiki support desk here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Project:Support_desk/Font_at_dv.wikipedia_and_dv.wiktionary and User:MarkAHershberger directed me to https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42812 but no one is responding in there. So he told me to mail to this list.
Regards,Ushau    
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I have been looking at the font.. The one thing that is important and I
cannot find is an indication of the license. When the font is available
under a free license, it will be relatively easy to get it and possibly
other fonts as well included as a web font in MediaWiki.
Thanks,
     GerardM


On 12 February 2013 09:56, oәuɐႡɔsʇnәp nɐႡsn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If
> possible could the fonts be changed to Faruma which can be downloaded from
> here:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf. Originally this issue was raised at
> http://dv.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Glacious#Fonts by User:Vituzzu. I
> have tried
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WebFonts#Preparing_webfonts but
> to no result. Can someone help me regarding this matter.
> Links: dv.wikipedia.orgdv.wiktionary.org
> MediaWiki - 1.21wmf8 (17a7840)PHP - 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.4+wmf1
> (apache2handler)MySQL - 5.1.53-wm-log
> I have posted this question at the MediaWiki support desk here:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Project:Support_desk/Font_at_dv.wikipedia_and_dv.wiktionaryand User:MarkAHershberger directed me to
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42812 but no one is
> responding in there. So he told me to mail to this list.
> Regards,Ushau
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Paul Selitskas
These fonts seem to be packaged in a .deb-pack.
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/debian/copyright


On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hoi,
> I have been looking at the font.. The one thing that is important and I
> cannot find is an indication of the license. When the font is available
> under a free license, it will be relatively easy to get it and possibly
> other fonts as well included as a web font in MediaWiki.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
>
> On 12 February 2013 09:56, oәuɐႡɔsʇnәp nɐႡsn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If
> > possible could the fonts be changed to Faruma which can be downloaded
> from
> > here:
> >
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf.
> Originally this issue was raised at
> > http://dv.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Glacious#Fonts by User:Vituzzu. I
> > have tried
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WebFonts#Preparing_webfonts but
> > to no result. Can someone help me regarding this matter.
> > Links: dv.wikipedia.orgdv.wiktionary.org
> > MediaWiki - 1.21wmf8 (17a7840)PHP - 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.4+wmf1
> > (apache2handler)MySQL - 5.1.53-wm-log
> > I have posted this question at the MediaWiki support desk here:
> >
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Project:Support_desk/Font_at_dv.wikipedia_and_dv.wiktionaryandUser:MarkAHershberger directed me to
> > https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42812 but no one is
> > responding in there. So he told me to mail to this list.
> > Regards,Ushau
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
З павагай,
Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
In reply to this post by Deutschaneo Ushau
On 02/12/2013 03:56 AM, oәuɐႡɔsʇnәp nɐႡsn wrote:
> Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If possible could the fonts be changed
> to Faruma which can be downloaded from here:
>
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf

The copyright for that package is GPL (see
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/debian/copyright),
which we could use.

However, it isn't clear that the font itself is under the GPL. The
copyright file says "downloaded from http://moss.org.mv" but
moss.org.mv doesn't appear to be registered currently so there is no DNS
domain.

IANAL, but I think we need to show proper provenance for the fonts
before we can use it and right now, it looks like I'm hitting a dead end.


--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Ryan Kaldari-2
We don't have to limit ourselves to free license fonts for what we use
on our own servers. We only have to limit ourselves to free license
fonts for what we distribute with our software. Of course, we should
always try to support free license fonts when they are available, but
there is no reason for us to artificially limit ourselves to free fonts
for our own projects (assuming the licensing fees are reasonable).

Ryan Kaldari

On 2/12/13 8:49 AM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 03:56 AM, oәuɐႡɔsʇnәp nɐႡsn wrote:
>> Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If possible could the fonts be changed
>> to Faruma which can be downloaded from here:
>>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf
>
> The copyright for that package is GPL (see
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/debian/copyright),
> which we could use.
>
> However, it isn't clear that the font itself is under the GPL. The
> copyright file says "downloaded from http://moss.org.mv" but
> moss.org.mv doesn't appear to be registered currently so there is no DNS
> domain.
>
> IANAL, but I think we need to show proper provenance for the fonts
> before we can use it and right now, it looks like I'm hitting a dead end.
>
>


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Ryan Kaldari-2
In reply to this post by Mark A. Hershberger-2
Nevermind, I didn't read the initial post of this thread (which had been
cut out). It sounds like you're looking for a font that can be
distributed with Mediawiki as a webfont, in which case it does need to
be free license.

Ryan Kaldari

On 2/12/13 8:49 AM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 03:56 AM, oәuɐႡɔsʇnәp nɐႡsn wrote:
>> Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If possible could the fonts be changed
>> to Faruma which can be downloaded from here:
>>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf
>
> The copyright for that package is GPL (see
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/debian/copyright),
> which we could use.
>
> However, it isn't clear that the font itself is under the GPL. The
> copyright file says "downloaded from http://moss.org.mv" but
> moss.org.mv doesn't appear to be registered currently so there is no DNS
> domain.
>
> IANAL, but I think we need to show proper provenance for the fonts
> before we can use it and right now, it looks like I'm hitting a dead end.
>
>


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

M. Williamson
In reply to this post by Mark A. Hershberger-2
Doesn't MOSS stand for Maldives Open Source Society?

I can't find a lot of info on them as they don't seem to be active
online at the moment, but I did find this:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-core-marketing/2009-June/000000.html

Maybe someone could e-mail the author of that message and ask if they
can be of assistance in determining the copyright status of the font?

Based on that e-mail it appears they may be the same group as the
Maldives Linux Users Group:

http://www.mlug.mv/

Just some ideas...

2013/2/12, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>:

> On 02/12/2013 03:56 AM, oәuɐႡɔsʇnәp nɐႡsn wrote:
>> Hello. The fonts at Dhivehi Wikipedia and Wiktionary are not webfonts. If
>> possible could the fonts be changed
>> to Faruma which can be downloaded from here:
>>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/ttf-thaana-fonts/faruma.ttf
>
> The copyright for that package is GPL (see
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mvishah/ttf-dhivehi-fonts/trunk/view/head:/debian/copyright),
> which we could use.
>
> However, it isn't clear that the font itself is under the GPL. The
> copyright file says "downloaded from http://moss.org.mv" but
> moss.org.mv doesn't appear to be registered currently so there is no DNS
> domain.
>
> IANAL, but I think we need to show proper provenance for the fonts
> before we can use it and right now, it looks like I'm hitting a dead end.
>
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
>
> There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
>    -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


--
skype: node.ue

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Marco Fleckinger-2
In reply to this post by Ryan Kaldari-2
Hi,

On 02/12/2013 10:25 PM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> We don't have to limit ourselves to free license fonts for what we use
> on our own servers. We only have to limit ourselves to free license
> fonts for what we distribute with our software. Of course, we should
> always try to support free license fonts when they are available, but
> there is no reason for us to artificially limit ourselves to free fonts
> for our own projects (assuming the licensing fees are reasonable).
>
So, what about Gill Sans MT used by Wikimedia and its chapters? Do we we
have a license also using those on non M$-operating systems?

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
In reply to this post by M. Williamson
On 02/13/2013 02:08 AM, M. Williamson wrote:
> Doesn't MOSS stand for Maldives Open Source Society?
>
> I can't find a lot of info on them as they don't seem to be active
> online at the moment, but I did find this:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-core-marketing/2009-June/000000.html

Thank you for tracking this down.  With a little more research, I was
able to find
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mlugmv/Auy_ZJpXEVg/discussion which
says there is a font (Thaana1U.ttf) available under the GNU FreeFont
license.


--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
More research leads to this list of fonts:
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Thaana.html

It looks like FreeSerif from https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont
would have appropriate glyphs and proper copyright information.

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Deutschaneo Ushau
FreeSerif looks good and we can use it instead of Faruma if the license is okay.

> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:29:58 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary
>
> More research leads to this list of fonts:
> http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Thaana.html
>
> It looks like FreeSerif from https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont
> would have appropriate glyphs and proper copyright information.
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
>
> There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
>    -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Santhosh Thottingal-2
2013/2/14 Deutschaneo Ushau <[hidden email]>:
> FreeSerif looks good and we can use it instead of Faruma if the license is okay.

Since FreeSerif has glyphs for many languages, it is about 2 MB in
size, After doing WOFF or EOT compression for webfonts, size can be
reduced to 1 MB, but still not optimal for embedding it as such in a
page.

Thanks
Santhosh

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Deutschaneo Ushau
What font do we use then??? I can name many fonts which are good but don't know whether they have proper licensing.
Regards,Ushau

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:44:59 +0530
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary
>
> 2013/2/14 Deutschaneo Ushau <[hidden email]>:
> > FreeSerif looks good and we can use it instead of Faruma if the license is okay.
>
> Since FreeSerif has glyphs for many languages, it is about 2 MB in
> size, After doing WOFF or EOT compression for webfonts, size can be
> reduced to 1 MB, but still not optimal for embedding it as such in a
> page.
>
> Thanks
> Santhosh
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
In reply to this post by Santhosh Thottingal-2
On 02/14/2013 06:14 AM, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
> Since FreeSerif has glyphs for many languages, it is about 2 MB in
> size, After doing WOFF or EOT compression for webfonts, size can be
> reduced to 1 MB, but still not optimal for embedding it as such in a
> page.

Since the licensing allows it, could we create a font that only has the
glyphs for dvwiki?


--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Deutschaneo Ushau
If someone could teach me how to do that, maybe I might be able to do it.
Regards,Ushau

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 06:59:58 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary
>
> On 02/14/2013 06:14 AM, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
> > Since FreeSerif has glyphs for many languages, it is about 2 MB in
> > size, After doing WOFF or EOT compression for webfonts, size can be
> > reduced to 1 MB, but still not optimal for embedding it as such in a
> > page.
>
> Since the licensing allows it, could we create a font that only has the
> glyphs for dvwiki?
>
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
>
> There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
>    -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
In reply to this post by Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 02/14/2013 06:59 AM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 02/14/2013 06:14 AM, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
>> Since FreeSerif has glyphs for many languages, it is about 2 MB in
>> size, After doing WOFF or EOT compression for webfonts, size can be
>> reduced to 1 MB, but still not optimal for embedding it as such in a
>> page.

https://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/ranges/Thaana.html embeds a few
WOFF fonts that range in size from 230k to 785k.

I realize these are still too big.

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
In reply to this post by Deutschaneo Ushau
On 02/14/2013 07:04 AM, Deutschaneo Ushau wrote:
> If someone could teach me how to do that, maybe I might be able to do it.

I've asked on the freefonts list to see if anyone there can help.

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Santhosh Thottingal-2
If anybody from community can maintain and host such a font, giving
proper credits to freefont project and not violating licenses, here is
a font with required glyphs http://thottingal.in/tmp/thaana/

Thanks
Santhosh

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 02/14/2013 07:41 AM, Santhosh Thottingal wrote:
> If anybody from community can maintain and host such a font, giving
> proper credits to freefont project and not violating licenses, here is
> a font with required glyphs http://thottingal.in/tmp/thaana/

Thanks!

I've grabbed your files.  I'll try to get the free font project to host
them and if that doesn't work, I'll post them on my website giving
proper credit to you and the project.

--
http://hexmode.com/

There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.
   -- Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary

Deutschaneo Ushau
In reply to this post by Santhosh Thottingal-2
The glyphs at http://thottingal.in/tmp/thaana/Thaana.ttf are not the actual shape of Thaana letters, it looks like MV Boli font.

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:11:49 +0530
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Font at dv.wikipedia and dv.wiktionary
>
> If anybody from community can maintain and host such a font, giving
> proper credits to freefont project and not violating licenses, here is
> a font with required glyphs http://thottingal.in/tmp/thaana/
>
> Thanks
> Santhosh
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l