Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Tom Morris-5
@JoBrodie sent this to me on Twitter:

http://blogs.food.gov.uk/science/entry/if_you_can_t_beat

The Chief Scientist at the Food Standards Agency is interested in
getting them to edit Wikipedia.

Anyone at WMUK want to contact them or is there stuff going on behind
the scenes I don't know about? ;-)

Anyway, I've posted a comment (awaiting approval) with some basic
information about COI and the Organizations FAQ tempered with some be
bold, don't worry, be happy stuff.

I did actually upload a picture from the Food Standards Agency website
to Commons under the Open Government Licence, but it is neither food
nor standards related. It is a photo of the Scottish netball team
which they sponsor:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Scotnetballteam.jpg

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Roger Bamkin
Tom,

You must thank JoBrodie for this link telling how ... Andrew Wadge, Chief Scientist for the Food Standards Agency has noticed how relaible enwp is and asks to "hear if you (meaning his workers) have systems in place to ensure the accuracy of ... interest areas on Wikipedia."

I don't think we made this happen ..... although maybe thanks to Mike Peel who made the Cancer day work and that seems to be what brought this recommendation.

Do you want to see if you get a reply to your post? I'm sure we could send around someone to see if we can help him, help our cause

Thanks
Roger

On 19 April 2011 13:57, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(aka Victuallers)

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Patel, Vinesh
Dear all,

Just a general comment from me - to keep communications flowing prodigiously. What with all the outreach that's going on, it's important areas of overlap e.g. between, say the Campus Ambassadors program working with food tech students and another possible initiative going on not attached to one program.

If we share experience and knowledge then, guided by the board, we can make sure we don't make the same mistakes and we deal with external groups effectively.

Kind Regards,

Vinesh
Wikipedians at IC

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 April 2011 13:57, Tom Morris <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fae-6
Vinesh makes a good point that has been recognized by WMUK and is being factored into expectations for office support. Currently http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM-WIKI/Events is a coordinating list for GLAM related points of contact, I would see no problem extending this to other organizations expressing an interest in events or presentations for their sector (Government Agencies is a great example). I suggest if any such as the FSA turn into relationships then they are added to the GLAM list and we can split them off into their own sector specific coordination list (Academia, Governmental and Commercial spring to mind as possible future splits on Outreach).

http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae

On 19 April 2011 15:35, Patel, Vinesh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

Just a general comment from me - to keep communications flowing prodigiously. What with all the outreach that's going on, it's important areas of overlap e.g. between, say the Campus Ambassadors program working with food tech students and another possible initiative going on not attached to one program.

If we share experience and knowledge then, guided by the board, we can make sure we don't make the same mistakes and we deal with external groups effectively.

Kind Regards,

Vinesh
Wikipedians at IC

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Patel, Vinesh
On that note, we at IC wikisoc are interested in the Science, natural history and V&A museums as they are all right next to our south ken campus, and may integrate with our CA programs!

Vinesh

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Apr 2011, at 16:49, "Fae" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Fae If we split Academia from Education (by the latter I mean teaching people how to use wikis in schools and evening classes) then we get CAGE. Actually I do think our "Academic" work still leaves room for Education in "how to" as distinct from Academics who I would hope (don't tell me Martin) can edit a wiki.
Victuallers

Maybe someone could make the GLAM table you linked to below sortable and replace GLAM sector with just sector. That way we can can still see what we have.

On 19 April 2011 16:48, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
Vinesh makes a good point that has been recognized by WMUK and is being factored into expectations for office support. Currently http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM-WIKI/Events is a coordinating list for GLAM related points of contact, I would see no problem extending this to other organizations expressing an interest in events or presentations for their sector (Government Agencies is a great example). I suggest if any such as the FSA turn into relationships then they are added to the GLAM list and we can split them off into their own sector specific coordination list (Academia, Governmental and Commercial spring to mind as possible future splits on Outreach).

http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae

On 19 April 2011 15:35, Patel, Vinesh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

Just a general comment from me - to keep communications flowing prodigiously. What with all the outreach that's going on, it's important areas of overlap e.g. between, say the Campus Ambassadors program working with food tech students and another possible initiative going on not attached to one program.

If we share experience and knowledge then, guided by the board, we can make sure we don't make the same mistakes and we deal with external groups effectively.

Kind Regards,

Vinesh
Wikipedians at IC

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Fae-6
> http://blogs.food.gov.uk/science/entry/if_you_can_t_beat
>
> The Chief Scientist at the Food Standards Agency is interested in
> getting them to edit Wikipedia.
>
> Anyone at WMUK want to contact them or is there stuff going on behind
> the scenes I don't know about? ;-)

I have posted a comment to the blog mentioning the support of WMUK and
offering support including a link the contact page. Hopefully they'll
get around to approving it shortly (or sending us an email instead).

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

WereSpielChequers-2
I agree that we should try to keep all partnerships on one page rather
than subdivide by themes. I think Partnerships is a more logical name
than GLAM or CAGE, the advantage of having them all organised through
one page is that we have a chance to coordinate and try to minimise
clashes, or at least aim for a steady flow of events and a
geographically even spread. The common denominator is that all of
these events would benefit from the involvement of experienced
Wikimedians as well as those interested in the particular subject
area, yes there will be people who will travel a long way for an event
in the particular museum that they most care about, but my suspicion
is that they will be greatly outnumbered by those who attend the
things they find interesting and convenient. If we put things in silos
we risk limiting our numbers.

WSC

On 19 April 2011 17:05, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fae If we split Academia from Education (by the latter I mean teaching
> people how to use wikis in schools and evening classes) then we get CAGE.
> Actually I do think our "Academic" work still leaves room for Education in
> "how to" as distinct from Academics who I would hope (don't tell me Martin)
> can edit a wiki.
> Victuallers
>

> Maybe someone could make the GLAM table you linked to below sortable and
> replace GLAM sector with just sector. That way we can can still see what we
> have.
>
> On 19 April 2011 16:48, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Vinesh makes a good point that has been recognized by WMUK and is being
>> factored into expectations for office support. Currently
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM-WIKI/Events is a coordinating list for
>> GLAM related points of contact, I would see no problem extending this to
>> other organizations expressing an interest in events or presentations for
>> their sector (Government Agencies is a great example). I suggest if any such
>> as the FSA turn into relationships then they are added to the GLAM list and
>> we can split them off into their own sector specific coordination list
>> (Academia, Governmental and Commercial spring to mind as possible future
>> splits on Outreach).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Fæ
>> --
>> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
>>

>> On 19 April 2011 15:35, Patel, Vinesh <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> Just a general comment from me - to keep communications flowing
>>> prodigiously. What with all the outreach that's going on, it's important
>>> areas of overlap e.g. between, say the Campus Ambassadors program working
>>> with food tech students and another possible initiative going on not
>>> attached to one program.
>>> If we share experience and knowledge then, guided by the board, we can
>>> make sure we don't make the same mistakes and we deal with external groups
>>> effectively.
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Vinesh
>>> Wikipedians at IC

> Roger Bamkin
> (aka Victuallers)

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Tom Morris-5
Okay, I've created a page to basically be "collaborations/outreach for
everything other than GLAM"

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Institutional_outreach

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Food Standards Agency expressing interest in academy?

Martin Poulter
Not sure I parsed your sentence correctly, Roger, but I wouldn't assume
that academics are better able than anyone else, or need less training
than anyone else, to edit a wiki.

--
Dr Martin L Poulter                ICT Manager, The Economics Network
Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/

The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
"Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge"