[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Florence Devouard-2
As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board

You'll find the entire list here:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board

Welcome to

         Angela Beesley (eh !)
         Ward Cunningham
         Heather Ford
         Melissa Hagemann
         Danny Hillis
         Mitch Kapor
         Joris Komen
         Rebecca MacKinnon
         Wayne Mackintosh
         Benjamin Mako Hill
         Erin McKean
         Trevor Nielson
         Achal Prabhala
         Jay Rosen
         Clay Shirky
         Peter Suber
         Raoul Weiler
         Ethan Zuckerman

who have agreed to give a bit of their time and expertise, to help us
navigate in the difficult waters of collaborative software, free
licensing, free speech, education for all, governance, sustainability
models...
We really appreciate.

How did we chose these people ? Either because they were already
frequently in touch with us, or because we thought their experience
could help. "We" is both the board and the community, as the board also
contacted some of the people whose names showed up when I asked help on
this list.
Is that list closed ? Of course not. Please feel free to discuss further
additions that could be necessary in the future.

Florence Devouard


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

David Gerard-2
On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
> resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
> You'll find the entire list here:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board


Excellent selections!

What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?

I'm wondering on the issue of setting up an "editorial concerns"
channel for English Wikipedia, our vastly successful and troublesome
child. Mathias Schindler floated the idea after the Microsoft press in
the past few days and I repeated the suggestion on Friday.

I can't say I'm having great success or a wave of people going "Hell
yes, that's a great idea! I'll volunteer to help monitor that!"
Evidently I'm just not using something that the cats think is tuna.
HELP NEEDED.

Having an editorial concerns channel is I think an obviously nice idea; how to
deal with the likely flood of crap^Wless valid concerns and the lack
of a wave of volunteers going "hell yes, I'll watch it" is another
matter. How would this remarkable selection of social website experts
suggest we attract and keep the volunteers for it? I'm at a loss.


- d.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Florence Devouard-3
David Gerard wrote:

> On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>>As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
>>resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>>You'll find the entire list here:
>>http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>
>
>
> Excellent selections!
>
> What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?
>
> I'm wondering on the issue of setting up an "editorial concerns"
> channel for English Wikipedia, our vastly successful and troublesome
> child. Mathias Schindler floated the idea after the Microsoft press in
> the past few days and I repeated the suggestion on Friday.
>
> I can't say I'm having great success or a wave of people going "Hell
> yes, that's a great idea! I'll volunteer to help monitor that!"
> Evidently I'm just not using something that the cats think is tuna.
> HELP NEEDED.
>
> Having an editorial concerns channel is I think an obviously nice idea; how to
> deal with the likely flood of crap^Wless valid concerns and the lack
> of a wave of volunteers going "hell yes, I'll watch it" is another
> matter. How would this remarkable selection of social website experts
> suggest we attract and keep the volunteers for it? I'm at a loss.
>
>
> - d.

Angela accepted to be the chair of the advisory group.
There is for now a mailing list where we can be sure to post and get
their attention, without them being flowed by the amount of information
coming to that list.

I let it to Angela to see how she prefers to get them involved for
community matters. It may be to propose them to join the foundation
list. It may be to only tell them to register (so that they can post),
but not received the emails (which can be seen on archives, this is what
I do myself thanks to thunderbird and gmane). It may be to warn them on
the advisory list of a discussion on the foundation which may be of
interest to them. It may be to make them get in touch with specific
people or specific groups of interest.
There are many options there and no reasons to limit ourselves.

I think Angela can make the decision of what she thinks is best
depending on circonstances.

The board has already been in contact with several of them. Sometimes
the discussion was only through private emails. Once a person joined the
board retreat. In another case, we set up a private wiki to work on
together. There is no limits to our imagination :-)

ant


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
The list is excellent. The only mile-wide glaring omission from it
that I can think of, is Sunir Shah. What happened? Was he asked and
refused a position on the advisory board?




On 1/28/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
> > resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
> > You'll find the entire list here:
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>
>
> Excellent selections!
>
> What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?
>
> I'm wondering on the issue of setting up an "editorial concerns"
> channel for English Wikipedia, our vastly successful and troublesome
> child. Mathias Schindler floated the idea after the Microsoft press in
> the past few days and I repeated the suggestion on Friday.
>
> I can't say I'm having great success or a wave of people going "Hell
> yes, that's a great idea! I'll volunteer to help monitor that!"
> Evidently I'm just not using something that the cats think is tuna.
> HELP NEEDED.
>
> Having an editorial concerns channel is I think an obviously nice idea; how
> to
> deal with the likely flood of crap^Wless valid concerns and the lack
> of a wave of volunteers going "hell yes, I'll watch it" is another
> matter. How would this remarkable selection of social website experts
> suggest we attract and keep the volunteers for it? I'm at a loss.
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>


--
--
Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know Sunir
Shah.There are other people on this board that I do not really know
either. I have some people that I would like to see included.

The point is not who is not on it, the point is are the people on this
list complementary in stead of all being in the same mould. When this is
a great list of people, celebrate them. When there are people who are
complementary, suggest them in a nice, even private way. Your
indignation does not work for me, quite the contrary.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen schreef:

> The list is excellent. The only mile-wide glaring omission from it
> that I can think of, is Sunir Shah. What happened? Was he asked and
> refused a position on the advisory board?
>
>
>
>
> On 1/28/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    
>>> As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
>>> resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>>> You'll find the entire list here:
>>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>>>      
>> Excellent selections!
>>
>> What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?
>>
>> I'm wondering on the issue of setting up an "editorial concerns"
>> channel for English Wikipedia, our vastly successful and troublesome
>> child. Mathias Schindler floated the idea after the Microsoft press in
>> the past few days and I repeated the suggestion on Friday.
>>
>> I can't say I'm having great success or a wave of people going "Hell
>> yes, that's a great idea! I'll volunteer to help monitor that!"
>> Evidently I'm just not using something that the cats think is tuna.
>> HELP NEEDED.
>>
>> Having an editorial concerns channel is I think an obviously nice idea; how
>> to
>> deal with the likely flood of crap^Wless valid concerns and the lack
>> of a wave of volunteers going "hell yes, I'll watch it" is another
>> matter. How would this remarkable selection of social website experts
>> suggest we attract and keep the volunteers for it? I'm at a loss.
>>
>>
>> - d.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> foundation-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>>
>>    
>
>
>  


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Angela-5
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
On 1/28/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?

For the topics, see the bios at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board to see what topics
would be relevant to each person or the whole group.

I'm not sure on which channel yet. We have a private mailing list, but
for that to be read by everyone, it needs to be low-traffic. I wonder
if foundation-l should be used and the members of the AB who are on
this list can pass over anything relevant, either to the whole group
or to individuals. That would prevent the need for a separate list and
since everything that should go to the AB is a Foundation matter, it
shouldn't be off-topic for here.

I'll add links to everyone's wiki user page when they all have
accounts so they can choose to enable email through the wiki if they
want to receive private communications from people.

Any other suggestions?

Angela

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

David Gerard-2
On 28/01/07, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure on which channel yet. We have a private mailing list, but
> for that to be read by everyone, it needs to be low-traffic. I wonder
> if foundation-l should be used and the members of the AB who are on
> this list can pass over anything relevant, either to the whole group
> or to individuals. That would prevent the need for a separate list and
> since everything that should go to the AB is a Foundation matter, it
> shouldn't be off-topic for here.


That sounds like a good idea for the moment.


- d.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

fredbaud
In reply to this post by Florence Devouard-2

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Florence Devouard [mailto:[hidden email]]
>Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 07:41 AM
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group
>
>As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
>resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>
>You'll find the entire list here:
>http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>
>Welcome to
>
>         Angela Beesley (eh !)
>         Ward Cunningham
>         Heather Ford
>         Melissa Hagemann
>         Danny Hillis
>         Mitch Kapor
>         Joris Komen
>         Rebecca MacKinnon
>         Wayne Mackintosh
>         Benjamin Mako Hill
>         Erin McKean
>         Trevor Nielson
>         Achal Prabhala
>         Jay Rosen
>         Clay Shirky
>         Peter Suber
>         Raoul Weiler
>         Ethan Zuckerman
>
>who have agreed to give a bit of their time and expertise, to help us
>navigate in the difficult waters of collaborative software, free
>licensing, free speech, education for all, governance, sustainability
>models...
>We really appreciate.
>
>How did we chose these people ? Either because they were already
>frequently in touch with us, or because we thought their experience
>could help. "We" is both the board and the community, as the board also
>contacted some of the people whose names showed up when I asked help on
>this list.
>Is that list closed ? Of course not. Please feel free to discuss further
>additions that could be necessary in the future.
>
>Florence Devouard

I had suggested Stephen Gaskin in correspondence with Jimbo, but while I did receive a favorable reply from Stephen, no response from Jimbo.

Fred



_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
In reply to this post by Florence Devouard-2
Florence Devouard wrote:
> As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
> resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>
> You'll find the entire list here:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>
<snip>

Congratulations and thanks to these people for agreeing to volunteer
their time and effort! I assume that they did agree and weren't forced
into it at gunpoint, right? :)

--
Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
"We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

signature.asc (554 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
In reply to this post by Gerard Meijssen-3
On 1/28/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> The point is not who is not on it, the point is are the people on this
> list complementary in stead of all being in the same mould. When this is
> a great list of people, celebrate them. When there are people who are
> complementary, suggest them in a nice, even private way. Your
> indignation does not work for me, quite the contrary.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>

Hmm. One more indication of the problems of pure text modes of communication.
I would have sworn that it would have been obvious when I was
indignant. When I am, I usually express myself in strong terms of an
expletive nature. My posting about Sunir Shah was purely motivated by
curiosity, and thus entirely free of expletives, or even pointed
sarcasm. Very emotively neutral curiosity. If you you thought using
words like "glaring" and "mile wide" expressed indignation, I assure
they were not intended to do so, but to be purely expressive of the
objective case of affairs.

--
Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
In reply to this post by Gerard Meijssen-3
On 1/28/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hoi,
> When there are people who are
> complementary, suggest them in a nice, even private way.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>

You may have missed the bit in Florences posting, which invited us to
be free in discussing other potential additions. I do not see what is
not nice about a posting which I explicitly began with stating I
thought the list was an excellent one.

--
Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Gerard Meijssen-3
In reply to this post by Florence Devouard-2
Hoi,.
For several of these notable people, there are articles on Wikipedia..
Some of them have no photo yet, some of the photos could be better
quality.. In the Netherlands we want more quality pictures of famous
people. We even have a "werkgroep" for this.. Being a member of this
werkgroep, I would like to urge our new advisory group members to
provide us with a few photos.. Photos that will do them justice as
advocates of an organisation that is very much about free content :)

Thanks,
    GerardM


Florence Devouard schreef:

> As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
> resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>
> You'll find the entire list here:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>
> Welcome to
>
>          Angela Beesley (eh !)
>          Ward Cunningham
>          Heather Ford
>          Melissa Hagemann
>          Danny Hillis
>          Mitch Kapor
>          Joris Komen
>          Rebecca MacKinnon
>          Wayne Mackintosh
>          Benjamin Mako Hill
>          Erin McKean
>          Trevor Nielson
>          Achal Prabhala
>          Jay Rosen
>          Clay Shirky
>          Peter Suber
>          Raoul Weiler
>          Ethan Zuckerman
>
> who have agreed to give a bit of their time and expertise, to help us
> navigate in the difficult waters of collaborative software, free
> licensing, free speech, education for all, governance, sustainability
> models...
> We really appreciate.
>
> How did we chose these people ? Either because they were already
> frequently in touch with us, or because we thought their experience
> could help. "We" is both the board and the community, as the board also
> contacted some of the people whose names showed up when I asked help on
> this list.
> Is that list closed ? Of course not. Please feel free to discuss further
> additions that could be necessary in the future.
>
> Florence Devouard
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
>  


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Florence Devouard-3
In reply to this post by fredbaud
Fred Bauder wrote:

>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Florence Devouard [mailto:[hidden email]]
>>Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 07:41 AM
>>To: [hidden email]
>>Subject: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group
>>
>>As decided last august, we set up an advisory group according to
>>resolution http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Advisory_board
>>
>>You'll find the entire list here:
>>http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board
>>
>>Welcome to
>>
>>        Angela Beesley (eh !)
>>        Ward Cunningham
>>        Heather Ford
>>        Melissa Hagemann
>>        Danny Hillis
>>        Mitch Kapor
>>        Joris Komen
>>        Rebecca MacKinnon
>>        Wayne Mackintosh
>>        Benjamin Mako Hill
>>        Erin McKean
>>        Trevor Nielson
>>        Achal Prabhala
>>        Jay Rosen
>>        Clay Shirky
>>        Peter Suber
>>        Raoul Weiler
>>        Ethan Zuckerman
>>
>>who have agreed to give a bit of their time and expertise, to help us
>>navigate in the difficult waters of collaborative software, free
>>licensing, free speech, education for all, governance, sustainability
>>models...
>>We really appreciate.
>>
>>How did we chose these people ? Either because they were already
>>frequently in touch with us, or because we thought their experience
>>could help. "We" is both the board and the community, as the board also
>>contacted some of the people whose names showed up when I asked help on
>>this list.
>>Is that list closed ? Of course not. Please feel free to discuss further
>>additions that could be necessary in the future.
>>
>>Florence Devouard
>
>
> I had suggested Stephen Gaskin in correspondence with Jimbo, but while I did receive a favorable reply from Stephen, no response from Jimbo.
>
> Fred

At the risk of appearing rude (which is not my desire), I will mention
that when I asked community to provide names, I said specifically to
write to "me", not to Jimbo. There was a reason so this request :-)

Anthere



_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Effe iets anders
In reply to this post by Angela-5
2007/1/28, Angela <[hidden email]>:

>
> On 1/28/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 28/01/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What sort of thing would we bug them with, through what channel?
>
> For the topics, see the bios at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Advisory_Board to see what topics
> would be relevant to each person or the whole group.
> (...)
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Angela
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>


Well, a photo next to the bio's would be marvellous :) That way the
community can discover a face with the name. it's not exactly necessarily,
but would just be a nice thing :)

lodewijk
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Ray Saintonge
In reply to this post by Gerard Meijssen-3
Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
>advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know Sunir
>Shah.
>
He was at Wikimania in Frankfort.

Ec


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Gerard Meijssen-3
Ray Saintonge schreef:

> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>  
>> There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
>> advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know Sunir
>> Shah.
>>
>>    
> He was at Wikimania in Frankfort.
>
> Ec
Hoi,
So were you and I, so was Richard Stallman if that is what makes you
notable ...
Thanks,
    GerardM


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Cormac Lawler
On 1/29/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ray Saintonge schreef:
> > Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> >
> >
> >> There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
> >> advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know Sunir
> >> Shah.
> >>
> >>
> > He was at Wikimania in Frankfort.
> >
> > Ec
> Hoi,
> So were you and I, so was Richard Stallman if that is what makes you
> notable ...
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>


Sunir Shah is the (co)founder of Meatball Wiki:
<http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?MeatballWiki> ;
<http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SunirShah>. You can find his
Wikimania 2005 presentation details at:
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_Presentations#Other_Talks>.
I agree with Jussi-Ville that he could be of great service to the
advisory group.

Cormac

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Gerard Meijssen-3
Cormac Lawler schreef:

> On 1/29/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> Ray Saintonge schreef:
>>    
>>> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>> There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
>>>> advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know Sunir
>>>> Shah.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>        
>>> He was at Wikimania in Frankfort.
>>>
>>> Ec
>>>      
>> Hoi,
>> So were you and I, so was Richard Stallman if that is what makes you
>> notable ...
>> Thanks,
>>     GerardM
>>
>>    
>
>
> Sunir Shah is the (co)founder of Meatball Wiki:
> <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?MeatballWiki> ;
> <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SunirShah>. You can find his
> Wikimania 2005 presentation details at:
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_Presentations#Other_Talks>.
> I agree with Jussi-Ville that he could be of great service to the
> advisory group.
>
> Cormac
Hoi,
I have again looked at the website, it gives me a chaotic impression. I
have looked at the presentation it is OK, however I am sure that we have
people of an equal calibre in our own ranks. My idea of an advisory
board is that they have to bring something extra, something fresh. I
fail to see what the extra is. To be blunt, to me is seems like a "blast
from the past" while we need to see into a future and reach out.
Thanks,
    GerardM

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Effe iets anders
maybe it would be more constructive if we wouldnt stuck to this very person,
and the discussion whether he is notable or not have private? Then we could
maybe focus more on the issue that is imho more important, the *type* of
person that is missing. So not really names, but more the qualities that
lack this advisory group. Actually I am somehow missing a bit more input
from the communities. Most of the users seem to me (except angela) relative
outsiders, please correct me if i'm wrong. Might it be worth evaluating the
idea that in some way we should have a user of several parts of the
wikimedia communities? And then especially users who are more then just
users. So they should be active users, but also bring "a little extra", for
example, they combine that with skills on social, legal, economical or
ideological area.

Lodewijk

2007/1/29, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>:

>
> Cormac Lawler schreef:
> > On 1/29/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Ray Saintonge schreef:
> >>
> >>> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
> >>>> advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know
> Sunir
> >>>> Shah.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>> He was at Wikimania in Frankfort.
> >>>
> >>> Ec
> >>>
> >> Hoi,
> >> So were you and I, so was Richard Stallman if that is what makes you
> >> notable ...
> >> Thanks,
> >>     GerardM
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > Sunir Shah is the (co)founder of Meatball Wiki:
> > <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?MeatballWiki> ;
> > <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SunirShah>. You can find his
> > Wikimania 2005 presentation details at:
> > <
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_Presentations#Other_Talks
> >.
> > I agree with Jussi-Ville that he could be of great service to the
> > advisory group.
> >
> > Cormac
> Hoi,
> I have again looked at the website, it gives me a chaotic impression. I
> have looked at the presentation it is OK, however I am sure that we have
> people of an equal calibre in our own ranks. My idea of an advisory
> board is that they have to bring something extra, something fresh. I
> fail to see what the extra is. To be blunt, to me is seems like a "blast
> from the past" while we need to see into a future and reach out.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to the advisory group

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
One reason to have an advisory board is to bring outsiders into an
organisation that have a distinctly /other /approach. Angela will be
very much a linking pin with our organisation; she is deeply connected
to the Wikimedia Foundation and has through her activities at Wikia a
deep understanding in how to build communities as well as an
understanding in using MediaWiki in a commercial environment. Because of
her new relative distance to the WMF I am convinced that we are lucky
that she has accepted this post.

Another reason why you would want people in an advisory board is because
of the network that they bring with them. Kofi Anan, would be one person
that would be really important if he would consider us. I do not know if
we are audacious enough to ask him :)

I disagree strongly that we should populate an advisory board with
people that are already in our community. It would create an other layer
of bureaucracy and I am not convinced that we need our own demi-gods.
People that ARE within have the option to make themselves useful in many
ways. There are plenty of things that do not get done. We talk enough as
it is and imho we do not need another talking shop.
Thanks,
    GerardM

effe iets anders schreef:

> maybe it would be more constructive if we wouldnt stuck to this very person,
> and the discussion whether he is notable or not have private? Then we could
> maybe focus more on the issue that is imho more important, the *type* of
> person that is missing. So not really names, but more the qualities that
> lack this advisory group. Actually I am somehow missing a bit more input
> from the communities. Most of the users seem to me (except angela) relative
> outsiders, please correct me if i'm wrong. Might it be worth evaluating the
> idea that in some way we should have a user of several parts of the
> wikimedia communities? And then especially users who are more then just
> users. So they should be active users, but also bring "a little extra", for
> example, they combine that with skills on social, legal, economical or
> ideological area.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> 2007/1/29, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>:
>  
>> Cormac Lawler schreef:
>>    
>>> On 1/29/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>      
>>>> Ray Saintonge schreef:
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>> There are many people who could make a valuable contribution to this
>>>>>> advisory board. You apparently have yours and I do not even know
>>>>>>            
>> Sunir
>>    
>>>>>> Shah.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>> He was at Wikimania in Frankfort.
>>>>>
>>>>> Ec
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>> Hoi,
>>>> So were you and I, so was Richard Stallman if that is what makes you
>>>> notable ...
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>     GerardM
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>        
>>> Sunir Shah is the (co)founder of Meatball Wiki:
>>> <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?MeatballWiki> ;
>>> <http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SunirShah>. You can find his
>>> Wikimania 2005 presentation details at:
>>> <
>>>      
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_Presentations#Other_Talks
>>    
>>> .
>>> I agree with Jussi-Ville that he could be of great service to the
>>> advisory group.
>>>
>>> Cormac
>>>      
>> Hoi,
>> I have again looked at the website, it gives me a chaotic impression. I
>> have looked at the presentation it is OK, however I am sure that we have
>> people of an equal calibre in our own ranks. My idea of an advisory
>> board is that they have to bring something extra, something fresh. I
>> fail to see what the extra is. To be blunt, to me is seems like a "blast
>> from the past" while we need to see into a future and reach out.
>> Thanks,
>>     GerardM


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
12