[Foundation-l] Fundraising drive closed

Erik Moeller-4
As you've probably noticed, the fundraising drive is over. It was
officially completed on January 15. The current "thank you" notice
will stay up until January 22 (and hopefully be translated into a few
more languages over the next couple of days).

Jeremy Tobacman has been so kind to compile a graphical report on the
fundraiser:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising_report

You can also continue to retrieve results from our reporting engine:
http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/

The Virgin Unite donation is not accounted for yet (should happen in
the next few days). Overall, the fundraiser has been a success, and
some exciting new possibilities are being discussed on the
Board-level.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Re: [Foundation-l] Fundraising drive closed

> The Virgin Unite donation is not accounted for yet (should happen in
> the next few days). Overall, the fundraiser has been a success, and
> some exciting new possibilities are being discussed on the
> Board-level.

So how hurt are we by making $1M rather than the hoped-for $1.5M?

- d.

Re: [Foundation-l] Fundraising drive closed

Brad Patrick
In simple terms, we are still going to be struggling to keep up with our
hardware purchases if our traffic remains on its trajectory.  We are not
going to be able to hire for all of the positions we would like to, and we
don't have an operating cushion which is appropriate for our size and
requirements.

In other words we can keep the wolves at bay, but not eliminate them, given
this effort.

> On 19/01/07, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The Virgin Unite donation is not accounted for yet (should happen in
> > the next few days). Overall, the fundraiser has been a success, and
> > some exciting new possibilities are being discussed on the
> > Board-level.
>

> So how hurt are we by making $1M rather than the hoped-for $1.5M?
>

> - d.

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

[Foundation-l] Mail archives

Birgitte_sb
I wanted to look up the detailed report that was
posted to the list after the Frankfurt retreat.  I
have entually found it but in the process had some
troubles because not realizing that Anthere has been
using two different email addresses caused me to miss
seeing it when searching by "Author".  If any of you
are familiar with using our archives, you realize how
frustrating it can be to find (or not find) a message
you half remember.

The thing that I realized while looking for this
information is that everyone is relying much to
heavily on these archives.  I knew that that all the
links from the past list summaries had been scrambled.
 I went to the WMF website hoping to find the
information there after my failure in the archives.  I
found that the WMF website also uses links to the
archives. [1]  All of these links have been scrambled
in the past week and the archive is gernerally not
something that can be expected to be stable.

I ask you to consider making an effort to mirror any
offcial messages or detailed reports either on the WMF
or Meta instead of simply repairing the existing
links.  These messages become rather hard to find once
the links go bad.  If this is decided to be a bad idea
for some reason; then please consider using a
standardized subject for such messages.  Everyone
should think twice about linking to the archive in
general.  If you expect people to be reading what
write in six months, I would encourage you to quote
the message instead of linking.

Birgitte SB

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home
(See: "Wikimedia Board reorganization" read more link)

Re: [Foundation-l] Mail archives

Florence Devouard-3
Birgitte SB wrote:

> I wanted to look up the detailed report that was
> posted to the list after the Frankfurt retreat.  I
> have entually found it but in the process had some
> troubles because not realizing that Anthere has been
> using two different email addresses caused me to miss
> seeing it when searching by "Author".  If any of you
> are familiar with using our archives, you realize how
> frustrating it can be to find (or not find) a message
> you half remember.

Birgitte

I try now (but sometimes fail), to write announcements (board decisions,
reports etc...)from my last name reference (florencedevouard), whilst
email from my own person are from Anthere. Weak attempt to differenciate
the chair from the ant.

I take note of your comments, and will try to post such messages on the
wiki as well.

Ant