[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Canada mailing list now exists

[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Canada mailing list now exists

Nicholas Moreau
Hello all,

While Wikimedia Canada has been around in one stage of planning or
another for a while, we've just created a mailing list for discussion.

Why now? I was listening to the archives of Wikipedia Weekly, and
heard Delphine mention us, even though we've been so inactive in
further planning. That, and a regional TV channel is planning a story
on the chapter, even though we don't actually exist yet.

* Where's the list hosted? :

* How can I post? : Once you join, email [hidden email]

* Is it bilingual? : To be discussed. The Swiss mailing list is
quatrolingual. but let's concentrate on discussing stuff in English
first, as only two members of over 100 are unilingual Francophones.

* What use would I be? : Trust me, anyway you're willing to help with
the chapter, we're willing to listen.

So please, even if you're not too sure what purpose chapters serve,
join the mailing list. There's many benefits that could be reaped if
we get this party started.

Nick Moreau/Zanimum

Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Canada mailing list now exists

Michael Bimmler
On 1/16/07, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Is it bilingual? : To be discussed. The Swiss mailing list is
> quatrolingual. but let's concentrate on discussing stuff in English
> first, as only two members of over 100 are unilingual Francophones.

For the record: Although we certainly answer and take note of french,
italian or rhaeto-romanic posts, we use English as "working language"
for internal communication, be it the public wikimediach-l or internal
private mailinglists. There are some german threads from time to time,
but the mailinglist is de facto english.

Michael

Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Canada mailing list now exists

Gerard Meijssen-3
Michael Bimmler schreef:

> On 1/16/07, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> * Is it bilingual? : To be discussed. The Swiss mailing list is
>> quatrolingual. but let's concentrate on discussing stuff in English
>> first, as only two members of over 100 are unilingual Francophones.
>>

> For the record: Although we certainly answer and take note of french,
> italian or rhaeto-romanic posts, we use English as "working language"
> for internal communication, be it the public wikimediach-l or internal
> private mailinglists. There are some german threads from time to time,
> but the mailinglist is de facto english.
>
> Michael
Hoi,
Western Abnaki <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:abe> -  Algonquin
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:alq> -  American Sign Language
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ase> -  Assiniboine
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:asb> -  Atikamekw
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:atj> -  Babine
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:bcr> -  Beaver
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:bea> -  Bella Coola
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:blc> -  Blackfoot
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:bla> -  Carrier
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:crx> -  Southern Carrier
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:caf> -  Cayuga
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:cay> -  Chilcotin
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:clc> -  Chinook Wawa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:chn> -  Chipewyan
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:chp> -  Comox
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:coo> -  Moose Cree
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:crm> -  Plains Cree
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:crk> -  Swampy Cree
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:csw> -  Woods Cree
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:cwd> -  Dakota
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:dak> -  Dogrib
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:dgr> -  Northern East Cree
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:crl> -  Southern East Cree
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:crj> -  English
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:eng> -  French
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:fra> -  Hutterite German
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:geh> -  Pennsylvania German
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:pdc> -  Gitxsan
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:git> -  Gwich'in
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:gwi> -  Northern Haida
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:hdn> -  Southern Haida
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:hax> -  Haisla
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:has> -  Halkomelem
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:hur> -  Han
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:haa> -  Heiltsuk
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:hei> -  Eastern Canadian Inuktitut
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ike> -  Western Canadian Inuktitut
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ikt> -  North Alaskan Inupiatun
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:esi> -  Kaska
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:kkz> -  Kutenai
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:kut> -  Kwakiutl
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:kwk> -  Lakota
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:lkt> -  Lillooet
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:lil> -  Malecite-Passamaquoddy
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:pqm> -  Maritime Sign Language
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:nsr> -  Michif
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:crg> -  Micmac
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:mic> -  Mohawk
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:moh> -  Montagnais
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:moe> -  Munsee
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:umu> -  Naskapi
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:nsk> -  Nisga'a
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ncg> -  Nootka
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:noo> -  Central Ojibwa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ojc> -  Eastern Ojibwa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ojg> -  Northwestern Ojibwa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ojb> -  Severn Ojibwa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ojs> -  Western Ojibwa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ojw> -  Okanagan
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:oka> -  Oneida
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:one> -  Onondaga
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ono> -  Ottawa
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:otw> -  Plautdietsch
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:pdt> -  Potawatomi
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:pot> -  Quebec Sign Language
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:fcs> -  Straits Salish
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:str> -  Sarsi
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:srs> -  Sechelt
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:sec> -  Sekani
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:sek> -  Seneca
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:see> -  Shuswap
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:shs> -  North Slavey
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:scs> -  South Slavey
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:xsl> -  Squamish
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:squ> -  Stoney
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:sto> -  Tagish
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tgx> -  Tahltan
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tht> -  Upper Tanana
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tau> -  Thompson
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:thp> -  Tlingit
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tli> -  Tsimshian
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tsi> -  Tuscarora
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tus> -  Northern Tutchone
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ttm> -  Southern Tutchone
<http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tce>

These are the languages still spoken in Canada according to Ethnologue..
There is more then English French Italian and Rhaeto Romanic to this
wonderful country.
Thanks,
    GerardM

Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Canada mailing list now exists

Alfio Puglisi
On 1/16/07, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Bimmler schreef:
> > On 1/16/07, Nicholas Moreau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> * Is it bilingual? : To be discussed. The Swiss mailing list is
> >> quatrolingual. but let's concentrate on discussing stuff in English
> >> first, as only two members of over 100 are unilingual Francophones.
> >>

> > For the record: Although we certainly answer and take note of french,
> > italian or rhaeto-romanic posts, we use English as "working language"
> > for internal communication, be it the public wikimediach-l or internal
> > private mailinglists. There are some german threads from time to time,
> > but the mailinglist is de facto english.
> >
> > Michael
> Hoi,
> Western Abnaki <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:abe> -  Algonquin
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:alq> -  American Sign Language
>[...]
>
> These are the languages still spoken in Canada according to Ethnologue..
> There is more then English French Italian and Rhaeto Romanic to this
> wonderful country.

I think he was talking about the Swiss list...

Alfio

[Foundation-l] wikiseek is out

thomasasta
Englisch:
http://www.wikiseek.com/index.php

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chip.de%2Fnews%2Fc1_news_23826563.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Original:
http://www.chip.de/news/c1_news_23826563.html

Plugin:
http://www.wikiseek.com/tools/search_plugin

WikiSeek: Erweiterte Wikipedia-Suchmachine

WikiSeek: Sucht in Wikipedia und verlinkten Seiten

  Das Startup-Unternehmen SearchMe hat WikiSeek (wikiseek.com) als Beta-Version gestartet. Dabei handelt es sich um eine Internet-Suchmaschine, die Wikipedia und mit dem Online-Lexikon verlinkte Webseiten durchsucht.

Die Suchergebnisse enthalten Tags, die Informationen der unterschiedlichen Wikipedia-Kategorien tragen. Dadurch soll der Nutzer schneller an seine Suchergebnisse kommen.

Zudem kann der Nutzer die Suchmaschine in den Firefox ab Version 1.5 sowie Internet Explorer 7 per Mausklick auf "Install the Plug-in" einbinden. Das entsprechende Plug-in steht unter http://www.wikiseek.com/tools/search_plugin zur Verfügung.

The majority of the revenue generated by Wikiseek advertising
is donated to the Wikimedia Foundation.

Earn money for Wikimedia Foundation: Promote Wikiseek

About Wikiseek
The contents of Wikiseek are restricted to Wikipedia pages and only those sites which are referenced within Wikipedia, making it an authoritative source of information less subject to spam and SEO schemes.

Wikiseek utilizes Searchme's category refinement technology, providing suggested search refinements based on user tagging and categorization within Wikipedia, making results more relevant than conventional search engines.

http://wikiseek.wikia.com/wiki/Wikiseek_Community_Wiki

Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail

Re: [Foundation-l] pro & con Wikiseek

thomasasta
Hi,
I like the idea of wikiseek, to index only wikipedia content and the urls edited in wikipedia as weblinks.

This was as well the concept develped here on the net.
So it is a "w+1" hop" concept.

Contra: The problem is,
- that the database is still not open (where to download?)
- the search box of wikipedia already is doing the function
- it is a advertising spin-off of wikipedia ?, which is introducing advertising through the backdoor into wikipedia.
- Is this a Jimmy engine ? or just hosted at wikipedia?
- quote:, "of course i am sad that it is a company rather than an open source project" - so the spin-of is taking a distance to the open source approace of the coding and the open source approach of the database,
- searching wikiseek will found wikipedia? this is not the way to go, as we can found wikipedia directly, all other is oeconomic corruption of an encyclopaedie? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCPA
- Searchme was co-founded by Randy Adams, CEO, and John Holland, CMO. The Company received initial funding from Sequoia Capital, so nothing related to the goals of Jimmy?
- not a java engine
- this project is disturbing the community, as no one knows the network and relationships for the collaboration from whom to whom.
- wiki goes oeconomic?
- if it is not open source, why then not using google.
- wikiseek is violating the GPL licence of wikipedia, as users give the urls reviewed by hand to wikipedia as  well in licence of GPL. Any Bibliographic index has a copyright, and this is GPL for the external lists of weburls to each article, as the url is not just an url, but a content reference of the article. As the database of wikiseek is using and summarizing them, and it is not a GPL database of wikisek, this is a licence conflict.

Well, the draft of this search engine proposal is good, but not workable on the market, as any wikipedia has a search box for the works and as well you get the external links in the acticle after you have read it.

any comments? ;-)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:37:26 +0100

> Englisch:
> http://www.wikiseek.com/index.php
> http://wikiseek.wikia.com/wiki/Wikiseek_Community_Wiki

Wikiseek is a new way to search Wikipedia. Wikiseek searches only Wikipedia and external Wikipedia links. Because these links are selected by the Wikipedia community, Wikiseek search results are likely to return more relevant results for many searches.

This Wikiseek Community Wiki is hosted by Wikia but Wikiseek is an independent project with no affiliation with Wikia or Wikipedia.

Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail

Re: [Foundation-l] pro & con Wikiseek

David Strauss-4
Thomas Müller wrote:
> Hi,
> I like the idea of wikiseek, to index only wikipedia content and the urls edited in wikipedia as weblinks.
>
> This was as well the concept develped here on the net.
> So it is a "w+1" hop" concept.
>
> Contra: The problem is,
> - that the database is still not open (where to download?)

It's not a Wikimedia project. They don't have that obligation.

> - the search box of wikipedia already is doing the function

It's not a Wikimedia project, so the redundancy doesn't hurt us.

> - it is a advertising spin-off of wikipedia ?, which is introducing advertising through the backdoor into wikipedia.

It's a project independent from Wikimedia and Wikia.

> - Is this a Jimmy engine ? or just hosted at wikipedia?

I don't know about the former. It's not hosted at Wikipedia because it's
not a Wikimedia project.

> - quote:, "of course i am sad that it is a company rather than an open source project" - so the spin-of is taking a distance to the open source approace of the coding and the open source approach of the database,

It's not Wikimedia, so I don't think anyone here is specially qualified
to comment on their reasoning. And nothing obligates them to take an
open-source approach to development, even if they index Wikipedia's content.

> - searching wikiseek will found wikipedia? this is not the way to go, as we can found wikipedia directly, all other is oeconomic corruption of an encyclopaedie? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCPA

If you don't like it, don't use it.

> - Searchme was co-founded by Randy Adams, CEO, and John Holland, CMO. The Company received initial funding from Sequoia Capital, so nothing related to the goals of Jimmy?

No idea.

> - not a java engine

That's a *bad* thing?

> - this project is disturbing the community, as no one knows the network and relationships for the collaboration from whom to whom.

I would say it's having no effect on the community.

> - wiki goes oeconomic?

Hmm?

> - if it is not open source, why then not using google.

Use Google if you like. For me, Google still seems to give better
results, even for Wikipedia.

> - wikiseek is violating the GPL licence of wikipedia, as users give the urls reviewed by hand to wikipedia as  well in licence of GPL. Any Bibliographic index has a copyright, and this is GPL for the external lists of weburls to each article, as the url is not just an url, but a content reference of the article. As the database of wikiseek is using and summarizing them, and it is not a GPL database of wikisek, this is a licence conflict.

No, it's not. Search engine indexes do not need to obtain licensing for
the media they index.

> Well, the draft of this search engine proposal is good, but not workable on the market, as any wikipedia has a search box for the works and as well you get the external links in the acticle after you have read it.

I think either success or failure would have little impact on the people
here.

> any comments? ;-)
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:37:26 +0100
>
>> Englisch:
>> http://www.wikiseek.com/index.php
>> http://wikiseek.wikia.com/wiki/Wikiseek_Community_Wiki
>

> Wikiseek is a new way to search Wikipedia. Wikiseek searches only Wikipedia and external Wikipedia links. Because these links are selected by the Wikipedia community, Wikiseek search results are likely to return more relevant results for many searches.
>
> This Wikiseek Community Wiki is hosted by Wikia but Wikiseek is an independent project with no affiliation with Wikia or Wikipedia.

Re: [Foundation-l] pro & con Wikiseek

Brad Patrick
Just so everyone is clear - Wikiseek is *not* a Wikimedia project and to
my knowledge, *not* a Wikia project either.  Funding, although announced
on the wikiseek site, is not a formal agreement with WMF.

I won't reply to the rest before I talk to Wikiseek myself.  I'm not
clear, though, on the nature of the claim that it is a violation of the
GFDL.  Why precisely do you think the titles of pages can't be used
without a violation of the GFDL?

-Brad

Thomas Müller wrote:

> Hi,
> I like the idea of wikiseek, to index only wikipedia content and the urls edited in wikipedia as weblinks.
>
> This was as well the concept develped here on the net.
> So it is a "w+1" hop" concept.
>
> Contra: The problem is,
> - that the database is still not open (where to download?)
> - the search box of wikipedia already is doing the function
> - it is a advertising spin-off of wikipedia ?, which is introducing advertising through the backdoor into wikipedia.
> - Is this a Jimmy engine ? or just hosted at wikipedia?
> - quote:, "of course i am sad that it is a company rather than an open source project" - so the spin-of is taking a distance to the open source approace of the coding and the open source approach of the database,
> - searching wikiseek will found wikipedia? this is not the way to go, as we can found wikipedia directly, all other is oeconomic corruption of an encyclopaedie? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCPA
> - Searchme was co-founded by Randy Adams, CEO, and John Holland, CMO. The Company received initial funding from Sequoia Capital, so nothing related to the goals of Jimmy?
> - not a java engine
> - this project is disturbing the community, as no one knows the network and relationships for the collaboration from whom to whom.
> - wiki goes oeconomic?
> - if it is not open source, why then not using google.
> - wikiseek is violating the GPL licence of wikipedia, as users give the urls reviewed by hand to wikipedia as  well in licence of GPL. Any Bibliographic index has a copyright, and this is GPL for the external lists of weburls to each article, as the url is not just an url, but a content reference of the article. As the database of wikiseek is using and summarizing them, and it is not a GPL database of wikisek, this is a licence conflict.
>
> Well, the draft of this search engine proposal is good, but not workable on the market, as any wikipedia has a search box for the works and as well you get the external links in the acticle after you have read it.
>
> any comments? ;-)
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:37:26 +0100
>

>> Englisch:
>> http://www.wikiseek.com/index.php
>> http://wikiseek.wikia.com/wiki/Wikiseek_Community_Wiki
>>

> Wikiseek is a new way to search Wikipedia. Wikiseek searches only Wikipedia and external Wikipedia links. Because these links are selected by the Wikipedia community, Wikiseek search results are likely to return more relevant results for many searches.
>
> This Wikiseek Community Wiki is hosted by Wikia but Wikiseek is an independent project with no affiliation with Wikia or Wikipedia.

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek is out

Andre Engels
Well, I found one interesting use of wikiseek: Searching for spamlinks on
Wikipedia. Check out

http://www.wikiseek.com/results.php?q=sex - of the 9 links on the first page
at the time I did my search (the one on Wikipedia itself not counted), 7
seem to be outright spam (I'm now going through them, so they might have
disappeared by the time you get to the page).

One thing I find a pity is that wikiseek seems to only search the English
Wikipedia. It would be nicer to be able to search any languages, perhaps
with 'all languages' as a default.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek is out

thomasasta
Andre,

you can do this as well with one node indexing each wikipedia in each country with the local database of a www.yacy.net node installation.
Just one desktop-pc or server for each wikipedia language country.

http://www.yacy-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=30239
http://start.xiando.org/sitesearch

see the search fields, you can adjust to search only from the local wikipedia site (you get your language search) and you can filter our all related keywords, if you choose one hop indexing.

and then you can search the internet, which could as well refer to a local database, if the yacy node is not connected to the network, then is is like a local search engine, wikipedia alreay has.

Why wikiseek is evil, you can read it here:
http://lists.wikia.com/pipermail/search-l/2007-January/000186.html

:-)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:35:46 +0100
Von: "Andre Engels" <[hidden email]>
An: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <[hidden email]>

> One thing I find a pity is that wikiseek seems to only search the English
> Wikipedia. It would be nicer to be able to search any languages, perhaps
> with 'all languages' as a default.

Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Canada mailing list now exists

Rory Stolzenberg
> [...]

> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:shs> -  North Slavey
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:scs> -  South Slavey
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:xsl> -  Squamish
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:squ> -  Stoney
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:sto> -  Tagish
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tgx> -  Tahltan
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tht> -  Upper Tanana
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tau> -  Thompson
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:thp> -  Tlingit
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tli> -  Tsimshian
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tsi> -  Tuscarora
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tus> -  Northern Tutchone
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ttm> -  Southern Tutchone
> <http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:tce>
>
> These are the languages still spoken in Canada according to Ethnologue..
> There is more then English French Italian and Rhaeto Romanic to this

I think Michael was talking about the Swiss list (English, French, Italian
and Rhaeto Romanic are the official languages of Switzerland).

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek is out

David Strauss-4
I don't understand the critical reaction to Wikiseek. No one here would
criticize a new search engine that indexed the whole web *including*
Wikipedia, so there's no reason to criticize a search engine that
indexes *only* Wikipedia.

I also don't see how Wikiseek could hurt Wikipedia. If anything, more
avenues to Wikipedia will *increase* the number of readers and editors.

And in the event that Wikiseek is successful, the Foundation might even
receive some sizable contributions.

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek is out

shi zhao
wikiseek only English :(

2007/1/17, David Strauss <[hidden email]>:

> I don't understand the critical reaction to Wikiseek. No one here would
> criticize a new search engine that indexed the whole web *including*
> Wikipedia, so there's no reason to criticize a search engine that
> indexes *only* Wikipedia.
>
> I also don't see how Wikiseek could hurt Wikipedia. If anything, more
> avenues to Wikipedia will *increase* the number of readers and editors.
>
> And in the event that Wikiseek is successful, the Foundation might even
> receive some sizable contributions.

Chinese wikipedia: http://zh.wikipedia.org/
My blog: http://talk.blogbus.com
CNBlog: http://blog.cnblog.org/weblog.html
Social Brain: http://www.socialbrain.org/default.asp
cnbloggercon: http://www.cnbloggercon.org/

[[zh:User:Shizhao]]

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek is out

David Strauss-4
True, but it's an English-only version of something that didn't exist
before.

shi zhao wrote:

> wikiseek only English :(
>
> 2007/1/17, David Strauss <[hidden email]>:
>> I don't understand the critical reaction to Wikiseek. No one here would
>> criticize a new search engine that indexed the whole web *including*
>> Wikipedia, so there's no reason to criticize a search engine that
>> indexes *only* Wikipedia.
>>
>> I also don't see how Wikiseek could hurt Wikipedia. If anything, more
>> avenues to Wikipedia will *increase* the number of readers and editors.
>>
>> And in the event that Wikiseek is successful, the Foundation might even
>> receive some sizable contributions.

Re: [Foundation-l] pro & con Wikiseek

Angela-5
On 1/16/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just so everyone is clear - Wikiseek is *not* a Wikimedia project and to
> my knowledge, *not* a Wikia project either.  Funding, although announced
> on the wikiseek site, is not a formal agreement with WMF.

I can confirm that. Although Wikia helped them to find beta testers
and hosts a community wiki for them, the project is not a Wikia
project and we have no affiliation with searchme.com which is the
company running Wikiseek.

Angela

--
Angela Beesley
Wikia.com

Re: [Foundation-l] [Search-l] Re: pro & con Wikiseek

thomasasta

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 03:13:45 +0000
Von: Angela <[hidden email]>
An: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [Search-l] Re: [Foundation-l] pro & con Wikiseek

> On 1/16/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Just so everyone is clear - Wikiseek is *not* a Wikimedia project and to
> > my knowledge, *not* a Wikia project either.  Funding, although announced
> > on the wikiseek site, is not a formal agreement with WMF.
>
> I can confirm that. Although Wikia helped them to find beta testers
> and hosts a community wiki for them, the project is not a Wikia
> project and we have no affiliation with searchme.com which is the
> company running Wikiseek.
>
> Angela
>
> --
> Angela Beesley
> Wikia.com

It´s google, and with google syndication advertisements and undergrabbing the goal of having an open source search engine independent from google.
It is nice to have it, but not at that time and with that name, as the wikiasari search is still not out ! It is at this moment total contraproductive and why not in chinese language to show to be really open...?

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek & wikiwax is out

thomasasta
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:09:33 -0600
Von: David Strauss <[hidden email]>

> I don't understand the critical reaction to Wikiseek. No one here would
> criticize a new search engine that indexed the whole web *including*
> Wikipedia, so there's no reason to criticize a search engine that
> indexes *only* Wikipedia.

- google does not brand itself wiki
- google is not doing this before a wiki *open search* launch is done
- it is a trojaner, as google is behind it with its ads.
- it shows, that wikimedia needs an own open search engine for wikipedia content and links/web outside.

> I also don't see how Wikiseek could hurt Wikipedia. If anything, more
> avenues to Wikipedia will *increase* the number of readers and editors.

- one is making money from my work, searching hoursly for the best weblinks for the article of "pregnancy"? They are doing money with my free editors work and manual linksearch, either they make the database open or this is a GPL violation.
- it is a misleading of the brand for wikipedia and for wikia´s wikiasari open search
- ir opens the hint for google´s bribery of wikipedia, as the advertisements of google finance wikipedia
- it is a google trojaner in disguise for wikiasari

> And in the event that Wikiseek is successful, the Foundation might even
> receive some sizable contributions.

Totally wrong: we do nto want that money. Wikipedia´s contimbution it the community and not money from the google syndication ads. Google cannot buy the community. This is a hit for corruption.

and what about the second clone:  http://www.wikiwax.com/

????

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek & wikiwax is out

David Strauss-4
Please reexamine what *free* knowledge means in the context of Wikipedia
and the GFDL. Wikipedia's sense of "free" includes other people's
freedom to profit from the work.

Regarding brands, "wiki" is not one. Wiki is a type of technology and
(possibly) a type of community. Wikimedia, Wikipedia, and Wikia are brands.

And before you accuse Wikiseek of being a corrupt commercial preemption
of Wikiasari, you should remember something: not only does Wikiasari
only exist in rumor, it's probably also commercial. Neither Wikiasari
nor Wikiseek is a charitable project of the Wikimedia Foundation.

[hidden email] wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:09:33 -0600
> Von: David Strauss <[hidden email]>
>
>> I don't understand the critical reaction to Wikiseek. No one here would
>> criticize a new search engine that indexed the whole web *including*
>> Wikipedia, so there's no reason to criticize a search engine that
>> indexes *only* Wikipedia.
>>

> - google does not brand itself wiki
> - google is not doing this before a wiki *open search* launch is done
> - it is a trojaner, as google is behind it with its ads.
> - it shows, that wikimedia needs an own open search engine for wikipedia content and links/web outside.
>
>> I also don't see how Wikiseek could hurt Wikipedia. If anything, more
>> avenues to Wikipedia will *increase* the number of readers and editors.
>
> - one is making money from my work, searching hoursly for the best weblinks for the article of "pregnancy"? They are doing money with my free editors work and manual linksearch, either they make the database open or this is a GPL violation.
> - it is a misleading of the brand for wikipedia and for wikia´s wikiasari open search
> - ir opens the hint for google´s bribery of wikipedia, as the advertisements of google finance wikipedia
> - it is a google trojaner in disguise for wikiasari
>
>> And in the event that Wikiseek is successful, the Foundation might even
>> receive some sizable contributions.
>
> Totally wrong: we do nto want that money. Wikipedia´s contimbution it the community and not money from the google syndication ads. Google cannot buy the community. This is a hit for corruption.
>
> and what about the second clone:  http://www.wikiwax.com/
>
> ????

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek & wikiwax is out

Arne Klempert-2
> Von: David Strauss <[hidden email]>
> > And in the event that Wikiseek is successful, the Foundation might even
> > receive some sizable contributions.
>
> Totally wrong: we do nto want that money.

Excuse me. Can you please explain, who "we" is exactly?

Arne

Re: [Foundation-l] wikiseek & wikiwax is out

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
[hidden email] wrote:
<snip>
> and what about the second clone:  http://www.wikiwax.com/

That's been around a LONG time - it was first reported on wikien-l back
in March 2005.