[Foundation-l] Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

[Foundation-l] Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Amgine
Hi!

Wikinews will be hosting a second Interview of the Month
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month),  2000
UTC on 23 January 2006, Danny O'Brien
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_O%27Brien) of the Electronic
Frontier Foundation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation) will be
interviewed live in IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net/wikinews), and you are
invited to attend and be a part of the action.

Danny O'Brien is the "Coordinator of Activism" at the EFF, which he came
to from a technology journalism career. He helped found the Open Rights
Group, amongst other digital and online rights activisms.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is a U.S. ngo, with staff  also in
Canada and the United Kingdom, focused on free speech rights in a
digital world. Focused on defending those rights as they are related to
technology, and educating the press, public, and policymakers about the
issues, EFF has taken a number of actions which put the spotlight on the
project recently: Sony BMG's CD protection issue, cracking the US
government's programme to have laser printers put tracking information
on every document they print, and publishing the Legal Guide for
Bloggers. They're also in the advocacy and lobby industry, and are
closely watching Broadcast Flag legislation in the US capitol which is
scheduled for debate on 24 January.

The Wikinews Interview of the Month is a program to give citizen
journalists the opportunity to be involved in interviews with news
makers. Research and questions are developed by everyone who wishes to
take part both before the interview (for this interview, you can get
involved at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF)
and during the interview. As the interview progresses, questions may be
passed to the moderators who will try to squeeze in as many questions as
possible.

Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation, and is produced in 19
languages.

Amgine

Re: [Foundation-l] Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Brian-56
I think a good idea for easily getting good questions (since the current
questions are pretty generic), as well as increasing the positive
interest in Wikinews (since people like the EFF) is to make a post on
Slashdot in the style of "ask your questions on Slashdot, and a
selection of the highest moderated quesitons will be picked to
specifically ask Danny O'Brien". Then you can pick out some good
questions, ask him, and make another Slashdot post once the entire
interview has been written up.

I'm going to try to get a story on Slashdot. I would suggest that
someone protect
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF
(although I won't link to it). As for the IRC interview, I hope it is
being set up so that the interviewee can be separated from the rest of
the people. He should probably be in his own channel, which has
restricted access.

brian0918

Amgine wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Wikinews will be hosting a second Interview of the Month
> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month),
> 2000 UTC on 23 January 2006, Danny O'Brien
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_O%27Brien) of the Electronic
> Frontier Foundation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation) will be
> interviewed live in IRC (irc://irc.freenode.net/wikinews), and you are
> invited to attend and be a part of the action.
>
> Danny O'Brien is the "Coordinator of Activism" at the EFF, which he
> came to from a technology journalism career. He helped found the Open
> Rights Group, amongst other digital and online rights activisms.
>
> The Electronic Frontier Foundation is a U.S. ngo, with staff  also in
> Canada and the United Kingdom, focused on free speech rights in a
> digital world. Focused on defending those rights as they are related
> to technology, and educating the press, public, and policymakers about
> the issues, EFF has taken a number of actions which put the spotlight
> on the project recently: Sony BMG's CD protection issue, cracking the
> US government's programme to have laser printers put tracking
> information on every document they print, and publishing the Legal
> Guide for Bloggers. They're also in the advocacy and lobby industry,
> and are closely watching Broadcast Flag legislation in the US capitol
> which is scheduled for debate on 24 January.
>
> The Wikinews Interview of the Month is a program to give citizen
> journalists the opportunity to be involved in interviews with news
> makers. Research and questions are developed by everyone who wishes to
> take part both before the interview (for this interview, you can get
> involved at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF)
> and during the interview. As the interview progresses, questions may
> be passed to the moderators who will try to squeeze in as many
> questions as possible.
>
> Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation, and is produced in
> 19 languages.
>
> Amgine

Re: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikinews: IOTM Jan 2006 - Danny O'Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

Amgine
Brian wrote:

> I think a good idea for easily getting good questions (since the
> current questions are pretty generic), as well as increasing the
> positive interest in Wikinews (since people like the EFF) is to make a
> post on Slashdot in the style of "ask your questions on Slashdot, and
> a selection of the highest moderated quesitons will be picked to
> specifically ask Danny O'Brien". Then you can pick out some good
> questions, ask him, and make another Slashdot post once the entire
> interview has been written up.
>
> I'm going to try to get a story on Slashdot. I would suggest that
> someone protect
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF
> (although I won't link to it). As for the IRC interview, I hope it is
> being set up so that the interviewee can be separated from the rest of
> the people. He should probably be in his own channel, which has
> restricted access.
>
> brian0918

Actually, we want exactly the opposite.

The point of the interview is to be available for many people to be
involved in creating the questions, and to write their own articles
about what happened during the interview; what the answers mean. For
this reason we want the interviewee to be in the same channel as
everyone else. That doesn't mean the channel will be open for everyone
to shout questions: we will probably set the channel to moderated, and
only allow the interviewee and the interviewer to be voiced.

The same is true of research and questions page. We really do want
people to be actively editing this page, but we may protect it for the
hour or so of the actual interview, so questions are not being altered
at the time they are  being asked.

Feel free to suggest this to Slashdot; obviously questions could be
copied from the Slashdot comments to the research and questions page,
but we don't want to use Slashdot as the working/editing space since
they haven't agreed to hosting that.

Amgine wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
>> I think a good idea for easily getting good questions (since the
>> current questions are pretty generic), as well as increasing the
>> positive interest in Wikinews (since people like the EFF) is to make
>> a post on Slashdot in the style of "ask your questions on Slashdot,
>> and a selection of the highest moderated quesitons will be picked to
>> specifically ask Danny O'Brien". Then you can pick out some good
>> questions, ask him, and make another Slashdot post once the entire
>> interview has been written up.
>>
>> I'm going to try to get a story on Slashdot. I would suggest that
>> someone protect
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/Interview_of_the_month/January_2006_EFF
>> (although I won't link to it). As for the IRC interview, I hope it is
>> being set up so that the interviewee can be separated from the rest
>> of the people. He should probably be in his own channel, which has
>> restricted access.
>>
>> brian0918
>

> Actually, we want exactly the opposite.
>
> The point of the interview is to be available for many people to be
> involved in creating the questions, and to write their own articles
> about what happened during the interview; what the answers mean. For
> this reason we want the interviewee to be in the same channel as
> everyone else. That doesn't mean the channel will be open for everyone
> to shout questions: we will probably set the channel to moderated, and
> only allow the interviewee and the interviewer to be voiced.

That's basically what I meant. The interviewee and interviewer will make
their official statements in the main, moderated channel, while another
channel is set up for everyone to submit questions to the interviewer,
and for other random discussion to occur.