Free books for a university in your city/country

Free books for a university in your city/country

Leila Zia
[writing with my volunteer hat on.]

Hi all,

This email is not Wikimedia related, but I still would like to send it
to those who will attend Wikimania. I hope it's fine to share this
here.

I will bring somewhere between 50-100 (depending on weight) Web/Data
Mining/Algorithms related books (all in English) with me when I attend
Wikimania next week. I will give these books for free to some folks
who accept to take them back to a university in their country as long
as the country is considered undeserved and the university is not very
well resourced.

As I may get more than 2-3 responses, here's the process I'd like to
follow: If you're interested to be the person who takes some books
back to a university in your country, please send me offlist the
following information:
* How many books (how heavy:) can you take with you back to your country?
* Which university (and which library) do you intend to donate the books
to? Name, city, country.

I will then review this information with Ricardo Baeza-Yates [1] and
we choose a few universities from the list we gather to donate the
books to through you.

I need to hear from you no later than August 10 if you're interested
to be considered for receiving some books.

Thanks,
Leila

[1] In our volunteer times, we're co-presidents of a non-profit
organization and the organization has received the books from the
publishers (Cambridge, Springer, Morgan & Claypool).

Re: Free books for a university in your city/country

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Leila Zia, 06/08/19 07:45:
> [1] In our volunteer times, we're co-presidents of a non-profit
> organization and the organization has received the books from the
> publishers (Cambridge, Springer, Morgan & Claypool).

Do the donors prohibit you from donating the books to the Internet Archive?

Federico

Re: Free books for a university in your city/country

Houcemeddine A. Turki
Dear Ms.,
I thank you for your answer. We are lacking reference books in the University of Sfax, Tunisia. I will be honoured if you donate 10 reference books to our university.
Yours Sincerely,
Houcemeddine Turki (he/him)
Medical Student, Faculty of Medicine of Sfax, University of Sfax, Tunisia
Undergraduate Researcher, UR12SP36
GLAM and Education Coordinator, Wikimedia TN User Group
Member, WikiResearch Tunisia
Member, Wiki Project Med
Member, WikiIndaba Steering Committee
Member, Wikimedia and Library User Group Steering Committee
Co-Founder, WikiLingua Maghreb
Founder, TunSci
+21629499418

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 12:50 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leila Zia, 06/08/19 07:45:
> > [1] In our volunteer times, we're co-presidents of a non-profit
> > organization and the organization has received the books from the
> > publishers (Cambridge, Springer, Morgan & Claypool).
>
> Do the donors prohibit you from donating the books to the Internet Archive?

They don't. :)