Videos have become a popular format for the dissemination of
information - especially short animated explainer videos which
provide a quick overview over complex topics. The same principle
applies to Wikipedia: videos can enrich exisiting content and
provide an entertaining and easily comprehensible access to free
knowledge. Together with experts from the simpleshow foundation
Wikimedia Österreich offers workshops for Wikimedians which are
designed to learn the tricks of the trade of screenwriting for
The workshop might also be interested for people who attended last
year, as we will also introduce a new freeware, which enables you to
produce the videos yourself!
of the workshop
* Interested participants will learn the basic skills for
creating plots of explainer videos: how to explain complex topics in
a short and comprehensible way, how to work with cut-out animation,
storyboard conception and visualization.
* The participants can create and refine their scripts and
storyboards together with the simpleshow foundation after the
* Depending on the topic & previous research participants
can turn their scipts directly into an ilustrated video using
* The realization and production of the finished storyboard
could be done either using the “mysimpleshow”-freeware or by the
simpleshow foundation. The result will be published under the
CC-BY-SA license on Wikimedia Commons.
* The screenwriters can use the videos for Wikipedia articles
and other purposes.
What do you
* Interest in storytelling
* A topic for an explainer video
* No previous knowledge in screenwriting or video production