French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

Guillaume Blanchard
Bonjour,
The French Wikipedia community decided at unanimity the use a new
namespace called “référence”.
Here is the poll page
[http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Prise_de_d%C3%A9cision/Espace_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence]
and an English translation of the proposal (thanks to Rama)
[http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Prise_de_d%C3%A9cision/Espace_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence/en].

Final result is:

- For: 43
- Against: 0
- Neutral: 4

Please active this new namespace and the corresponding talk page namespace.
We also would like to have a MediaWiki page (like [MediaWiki:Reference]
or so) automatically include (and parse) at the top of all the pages of
this namespace (to put common links and information).
Thanks in advance,

Aoineko / Guillaume Blanchard
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

Rob Church
For the first request, please open a new bug on
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org as it makes things easier to track.

As to the second, while that's not implemented in the software at the
moment, there is an active feature request at
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4469 for a "namespace
banner" of some description, which would, I think, achieve the effect
you're after.


Rob Church

On 13/01/06, Guillaume Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bonjour,
> The French Wikipedia community decided at unanimity the use a new
> namespace called "référence".
> Here is the poll page
> [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Prise_de_d%C3%A9cision/Espace_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence]
> and an English translation of the proposal (thanks to Rama)
> [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Prise_de_d%C3%A9cision/Espace_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence/en].
>
> Final result is:
>
> - For: 43
> - Against: 0
> - Neutral: 4
>
> Please active this new namespace and the corresponding talk page namespace.
> We also would like to have a MediaWiki page (like [MediaWiki:Reference]
> or so) automatically include (and parse) at the top of all the pages of
> this namespace (to put common links and information).
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Aoineko / Guillaume Blanchard
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

Guillaume Blanchard
Rob Church wrote:

> For the first request, please open a new bug on
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org as it makes things easier to track.
>
> As to the second, while that's not implemented in the software at the
> moment, there is an active feature request at
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4469 for a "namespace
> banner" of some description, which would, I think, achieve the effect
> you're after.
>
>
> Rob Church
Active a namespace in a wiki now take around 2 minutes (the time to
load/write/save confiig file on the server). Do you really think we have
to open a new "bug" (?) for that?

For the second, it is just a hopped feature. If not available we will
just include manually the same template at the top of each page. No
problemo.

Aoineko / Guillaume Blanchard
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

Gerard Meijssen-3
Guillaume Blanchard wrote:

> Rob Church wrote:
>> For the first request, please open a new bug on
>> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org as it makes things easier to track.
>>
>> As to the second, while that's not implemented in the software at the
>> moment, there is an active feature request at
>> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4469 for a "namespace
>> banner" of some description, which would, I think, achieve the effect
>> you're after.
>>
>>
>> Rob Church
> Active a namespace in a wiki now take around 2 minutes (the time to
> load/write/save confiig file on the server). Do you really think we
> have to open a new "bug" (?) for that?
>
> For the second, it is just a hopped feature. If not available we will
> just include manually the same template at the top of each page. No
> problemo.
>
> Aoineko / Guillaume Blanchard
Hoi,
In the not to distant future, it will be possible to create namespaces
by other people than the developers. The helptext for this is already
available on Meta; http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Namespace_manager 
My suggestion would be; read this text and try to understand its
implications. When you do understand its implication write down what you
want to do and why. Have this read by developers for potential problems
and then be bold.

Thanks,
    GerardM
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

Ashar Voultoiz-2
In reply to this post by Guillaume Blanchard
Guillaume Blanchard wrote:
> Active a namespace in a wiki now take around 2 minutes (the time to
> load/write/save confiig file on the server). Do you really think we have
> to open a new "bug" (?) for that?

The actual process to add a namespace is something like:

1/ check the language file for any additional namespaces
2/ check the general setting file for existing additional namespaces
3/ reserve two namespace id and save the modification
4/ check if there is any duplicate, solve them if any, fix the bugs
5/ propagate the modification
6/ notify the user.

Given the size of the cluster and the number of sysadmins, we have to
track changes made in the configuration files. That's why we want every
requests to pass through bugzilla.

Looks like the requested namespaces have been added (id 104 & 105).

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar
http://www.livejournal.com/community/wikitech/
IM: [hidden email]  ICQ: 15325080

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: French Wikipedia community ask for a new namespace

Ray Saintonge
In reply to this post by Guillaume Blanchard
This looks like an interesting development.  If it's successful I could
end up using it myself in en-Wiktionary.
Ec

Guillaume Blanchard wrote:

> Bonjour,
> The French Wikipedia community decided at unanimity the use a new
> namespace called “référence”.
> Here is the poll page
> [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Prise_de_d%C3%A9cision/Espace_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence]
> and an English translation of the proposal (thanks to Rama)
> [http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Prise_de_d%C3%A9cision/Espace_r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence/en].
>
> Final result is:
>
> - For: 43
> - Against: 0
> - Neutral: 4
>
> Please active this new namespace and the corresponding talk page
> namespace.
> We also would like to have a MediaWiki page (like
> [MediaWiki:Reference] or so) automatically include (and parse) at the
> top of all the pages of this namespace (to put common links and
> information).
> Thanks in advance,



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l