From Hoxne Hoard to Hackney Hoard...

Chris Keating-2
If anyone's looking for a quick new article to create, there is a really lovely story about a treasure buried in Hackney in 1940 which was found & is currently on display at the BM but is about to be reunited with the family of the person who buried it.

Am sure an article would be much appreciated by the BM and the Portable Antiquities Scheme, as well as being a gimme for DYK and maybe In The News.

Would do it myself if I weren't rushed off my feet this week!

Chris
(The Land)

Re: From Hoxne Hoard to Hackney Hoard...

Fae-6
FYI - This is cross-posted for attention to the collaboration talk page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:GLAM/BL#New_article_request_for_Hackney_Double_Eagles

--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae

Re: From Hoxne Hoard to Hackney Hoard...

Andrew West-4
On 18 April 2011 16:19, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If anyone's looking for a quick new article to create, there is a really
> lovely story about a treasure buried in Hackney in 1940 which was found & is
> currently on display at the BM but is about to be reunited with the family
> of the person who buried it.
> Am sure an article would be much appreciated by the BM and the Portable
> Antiquities Scheme, as well as being a gimme for DYK and maybe In The News.

It is already included in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hoards_in_Britain> and there is
one picture on Commons already
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:American_gold_double-eagles_from_Hackney.jpg),
but I saw that a picture of the hoard in a jam jar was uploaded to
flickr a couple of days ago
(http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0185003/photos/finds/5621551085/).
Personally, I don't think that it is notable enough for an article (no
archaeological, historical or numismatic significance), which is why I
didn't make an article for it at the time it was discovered.

Andrew
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BabelStone

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Andrew West <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 18 April 2011 16:19, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If anyone's looking for a quick new article to create, there is a really
> lovely story about a treasure buried in Hackney in 1940 which was found & is
> currently on display at the BM but is about to be reunited with the family
> of the person who buried it.
> Am sure an article would be much appreciated by the BM and the Portable
> Antiquities Scheme, as well as being a gimme for DYK and maybe In The News.

It is already included in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hoards_in_Britain> and there is
one picture on Commons already
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:American_gold_double-eagles_from_Hackney.jpg),
but I saw that a picture of the hoard in a jam jar was uploaded to
flickr a couple of days ago
(http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0185003/photos/finds/5621551085/).
Personally, I don't think that it is notable enough for an article (no
archaeological, historical or numismatic significance), which is why I
didn't make an article for it at the time it was discovered.

It's very rare that a treasure hoard is recent enough that the descendents of the owner can be found, so I would say it has some historical significance. But it's just a thought.

Chris