From admin noticeboard

Guy Chapman aka JzG
==Libel against Wikipedia and Jimbo==

Hi, an article defaming Wikipedia is spreading across the internet.
[http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm You can read it
at the bottom of this link.] The article's author, [[Judi McLeod]]
implies that Wikipedia is connected to and takes its orders from
[[Kofi Annan]]. She also claims that Wikipedia removed information
from the [[Kofi Annan]] page at Kofi Annan's request. According to
her, the article had claimed Annan's father was a freemason.

Wiki contributors went through all 542 revisions of the [[Kofi Annan]]
article and found no mention of freemasonry whatsoever. There is an
ongoing discussion about this at [[talk:Kofi Annan]]

Senior sys-op and Wiki news reporter [[user:Zanimum|Zanimum]] wrote
her two letters asking for proof but she refuses to respond. She also
refuses to correct the errors or withdraw the [[Canada Free Press]]
article.

Can anybody advise us on the next step to take? Ignoring them isn't an
option since they have written several error-ridden articles about
Wikipedia. No doubt there will be more.

This is very frustrating and upsetting. We have gone out of our way to
address her concerns but she gives us no credit. Both
[[user:Homeontherange|Homeontherange]] and I have made sure that
unproven assertions and inflammatory statements are quickly taken out
of the article whenever they appear. I myself made it a priority
recently to include positive details such as the journalism award
McLeod won in 1983. And yet she calls us "wicked pedia".
--[[User:Cyberboomer|Cyberboomer]] 21:34, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: From admin noticeboard

Mikkerpikker
Why exactly is this being taken so seriously? The article in question
seems rather silly to me. Only someone with serious paranoia issues
would attach such importance to the possibility that Annan's father
was a freemason. Frankly, the inuendo that something sinister is going
on ("Anna is a secret freemason," sayeth Reading Between the Lines,
"he plans to take over the world! And Wikipedia editors are in league
with him!") is not to be taken seriously. There is plenty of silly
nonesense out there, and as Wikipedia grows, so will the silly
nonsense about Wikipedia. Why bother responding to such irrationality?

On 3/18/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ==Libel against Wikipedia and Jimbo==
>
> Hi, an article defaming Wikipedia is spreading across the internet.
> [http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm You can read it
> at the bottom of this link.] The article's author, [[Judi McLeod]]
> implies that Wikipedia is connected to and takes its orders from
> [[Kofi Annan]]. She also claims that Wikipedia removed information
> from the [[Kofi Annan]] page at Kofi Annan's request. According to
> her, the article had claimed Annan's father was a freemason.
>
> Wiki contributors went through all 542 revisions of the [[Kofi Annan]]
> article and found no mention of freemasonry whatsoever. There is an
> ongoing discussion about this at [[talk:Kofi Annan]]
>
> Senior sys-op and Wiki news reporter [[user:Zanimum|Zanimum]] wrote
> her two letters asking for proof but she refuses to respond. She also
> refuses to correct the errors or withdraw the [[Canada Free Press]]
> article.
>
> Can anybody advise us on the next step to take? Ignoring them isn't an
> option since they have written several error-ridden articles about
> Wikipedia. No doubt there will be more.
>
> This is very frustrating and upsetting. We have gone out of our way to
> address her concerns but she gives us no credit. Both
> [[user:Homeontherange|Homeontherange]] and I have made sure that
> unproven assertions and inflammatory statements are quickly taken out
> of the article whenever they appear. I myself made it a priority
> recently to include positive details such as the journalism award
> McLeod won in 1983. And yet she calls us "wicked pedia".
> --[[User:Cyberboomer|Cyberboomer]] 21:34, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
> Guy (JzG)
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: From admin noticeboard

Fastfission
I think it's pretty clear that this person is just nuts. Any article
which starts with a headline like "Wikipedia - Unbiased Encyclopedia
or a 'Jewish Tool'" is unlikely to be taken seriously by most sane
people. The article you've linked is clearly written by a raving
anti-Semite and probably a Holocaust denier. I have never found
attempts to reason with such people fruitful, and I doubt this is
important enough to warrant the cost and time of a lawsuit.

FF

On 3/18/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ==Libel against Wikipedia and Jimbo==
>
> Hi, an article defaming Wikipedia is spreading across the internet.
> [http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm You can read it
> at the bottom of this link.] The article's author, [[Judi McLeod]]
> implies that Wikipedia is connected to and takes its orders from
> [[Kofi Annan]]. She also claims that Wikipedia removed information
> from the [[Kofi Annan]] page at Kofi Annan's request. According to
> her, the article had claimed Annan's father was a freemason.
>
> Wiki contributors went through all 542 revisions of the [[Kofi Annan]]
> article and found no mention of freemasonry whatsoever. There is an
> ongoing discussion about this at [[talk:Kofi Annan]]
>
> Senior sys-op and Wiki news reporter [[user:Zanimum|Zanimum]] wrote
> her two letters asking for proof but she refuses to respond. She also
> refuses to correct the errors or withdraw the [[Canada Free Press]]
> article.
>
> Can anybody advise us on the next step to take? Ignoring them isn't an
> option since they have written several error-ridden articles about
> Wikipedia. No doubt there will be more.
>
> This is very frustrating and upsetting. We have gone out of our way to
> address her concerns but she gives us no credit. Both
> [[user:Homeontherange|Homeontherange]] and I have made sure that
> unproven assertions and inflammatory statements are quickly taken out
> of the article whenever they appear. I myself made it a priority
> recently to include positive details such as the journalism award
> McLeod won in 1983. And yet she calls us "wicked pedia".
> --[[User:Cyberboomer|Cyberboomer]] 21:34, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
> Guy (JzG)
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: From admin noticeboard

Fastfission
Also -- perhaps the best way to deal with this is to add some
information to the Judi McLeod page that links to and notes that she
seems to think that Wikipedia is run by a Jewish mafia and is part of
some major Jewish conspiracy (and considers Wikipedians to be "Jewish
volunteers"). Personally I think information like that will make most
rational people think twice about ever taking her seriously as a
journalist, if they ever did.

FF

On 3/18/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ==Libel against Wikipedia and Jimbo==
>
> Hi, an article defaming Wikipedia is spreading across the internet.
> [http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm You can read it
> at the bottom of this link.] The article's author, [[Judi McLeod]]
> implies that Wikipedia is connected to and takes its orders from
> [[Kofi Annan]]. She also claims that Wikipedia removed information
> from the [[Kofi Annan]] page at Kofi Annan's request. According to
> her, the article had claimed Annan's father was a freemason.
>
> Wiki contributors went through all 542 revisions of the [[Kofi Annan]]
> article and found no mention of freemasonry whatsoever. There is an
> ongoing discussion about this at [[talk:Kofi Annan]]
>
> Senior sys-op and Wiki news reporter [[user:Zanimum|Zanimum]] wrote
> her two letters asking for proof but she refuses to respond. She also
> refuses to correct the errors or withdraw the [[Canada Free Press]]
> article.
>
> Can anybody advise us on the next step to take? Ignoring them isn't an
> option since they have written several error-ridden articles about
> Wikipedia. No doubt there will be more.
>
> This is very frustrating and upsetting. We have gone out of our way to
> address her concerns but she gives us no credit. Both
> [[user:Homeontherange|Homeontherange]] and I have made sure that
> unproven assertions and inflammatory statements are quickly taken out
> of the article whenever they appear. I myself made it a priority
> recently to include positive details such as the journalism award
> McLeod won in 1983. And yet she calls us "wicked pedia".
> --[[User:Cyberboomer|Cyberboomer]] 21:34, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
> Guy (JzG)
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: From admin noticeboard

Michael Meadon
Fastfission <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it's pretty clear that this person is just nuts. Any article
> which starts with a headline like "Wikipedia - Unbiased Encyclopedia
> or a 'Jewish Tool'" is unlikely to be taken seriously by most sane
> people. The article you've linked is clearly written by a raving
> anti-Semite and probably a Holocaust denier. I have never found
> attempts to reason with such people fruitful, and I doubt this is
> important enough to warrant the cost and time of a lawsuit.

I think there is a distinction between the website and the article.
The article is posted on the website with the Jewish tool nonsense,
but the anti-Semitic views are not attributable to Judi McLeod. That
said, what you've written still basically applies, if not as
obviously.

Re: From admin noticeboard

Fastfission
OK -- I realize after poking around a bit more that ONLY the bottom
part of that page is about Annan. The original article is:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/cover020706.htm

In any case, it still looks bonkers, and the only people who seem to
be really "spreading it around" the internet look even more bonkers.

FF

On 3/18/06, Fastfission <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also -- perhaps the best way to deal with this is to add some
> information to the Judi McLeod page that links to and notes that she
> seems to think that Wikipedia is run by a Jewish mafia and is part of
> some major Jewish conspiracy (and considers Wikipedians to be "Jewish
> volunteers"). Personally I think information like that will make most
> rational people think twice about ever taking her seriously as a
> journalist, if they ever did.
>
> FF
>
> On 3/18/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ==Libel against Wikipedia and Jimbo==
> >
> > Hi, an article defaming Wikipedia is spreading across the internet.
> > [http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm You can read it
> > at the bottom of this link.] The article's author, [[Judi McLeod]]
> > implies that Wikipedia is connected to and takes its orders from
> > [[Kofi Annan]]. She also claims that Wikipedia removed information
> > from the [[Kofi Annan]] page at Kofi Annan's request. According to
> > her, the article had claimed Annan's father was a freemason.
> >
> > Wiki contributors went through all 542 revisions of the [[Kofi Annan]]
> > article and found no mention of freemasonry whatsoever. There is an
> > ongoing discussion about this at [[talk:Kofi Annan]]
> >
> > Senior sys-op and Wiki news reporter [[user:Zanimum|Zanimum]] wrote
> > her two letters asking for proof but she refuses to respond. She also
> > refuses to correct the errors or withdraw the [[Canada Free Press]]
> > article.
> >
> > Can anybody advise us on the next step to take? Ignoring them isn't an
> > option since they have written several error-ridden articles about
> > Wikipedia. No doubt there will be more.
> >
> > This is very frustrating and upsetting. We have gone out of our way to
> > address her concerns but she gives us no credit. Both
> > [[user:Homeontherange|Homeontherange]] and I have made sure that
> > unproven assertions and inflammatory statements are quickly taken out
> > of the article whenever they appear. I myself made it a priority
> > recently to include positive details such as the journalism award
> > McLeod won in 1983. And yet she calls us "wicked pedia".
> > --[[User:Cyberboomer|Cyberboomer]] 21:34, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
> > Guy (JzG)
> > --
> > http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Re: From admin noticeboard

Chip Berlet
Hi,

There are two different articles

One by Judi McLeod

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/cover020706.htm <http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/cover020706.htm>

and one that cites that page by

 judicial-inc.biz <http://judicial-inc.biz/wikipedia.htm>

http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm <http://thailandesl.chazzsongs.net/internet.wiki.htm>

It is tha latter that is openly Antisemitic.

And we are discussing the same problem under the Subject line:

[WikiEN-l] Libel against Wikipedia and Jimbo

:-)

-cberlet

Re: From admin noticeboard

Matthew Brown-5
Ah, the original post by Guy Chapman only mentioned the nutjob
article, not the original Canada Free Press one, and gave the mistaken
impression they were the same.

Judi McLeod's article carries the often-repeated mistaken idea that it
was hard for Siegenthaler to remove accusations from his article.  It
wasn't; it contained them for so long simply because nobody noticed.
It's easy for anyone to have unsourced allegations removed.

And the whole freemasonry thing is a bit nuts, if the above is correct
and the Kofi Annan article never contained it in the first place.  It
sounds like that someone so loves the conspiracy-theory version that
correcting the facts doesn't work.

-Matt

Re: From admin noticeboard

Tony Sidaway-3
This is just a case of some crank writing some stuff on the internet
that nobody with any brains will believe.

Keith Henson told me once that he tried to sue the Larouchies for
defamation, but the judge through the case out because the Larouchies
had no credibility so there could have been no defamation.

The message is: until someone with some traction takes up this
nonsense, don't pay it any heed.

Re: From admin noticeboard

Will "Sceptre" Noble
http://www.geocities.com/georgereevesproject/wikipedia

Squid is just as worse....

On 3/19/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is just a case of some crank writing some stuff on the internet
> that nobody with any brains will believe.
>
> Keith Henson told me once that he tried to sue the Larouchies for
> defamation, but the judge through the case out because the Larouchies
> had no credibility so there could have been no defamation.
>
> The message is: until someone with some traction takes up this
> nonsense, don't pay it any heed.

-Sceptre
http://tintower.co.uk

Re: From admin noticeboard

Rob Smith-3
Probably just more disinformation from a Ruy Lopez sockpuppet.

nobs