From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Wikipedia Review
An Open Letter to the person posting on Wikipedia as "SlimVirgin" -

It has come to our attention that you have made claims that our site, the
Wikipedia Review, contains postings that include, in your words "actionable
libel".

This is a serious accusation. Without waiver of any protections afforded as
an internet content provider under 47 U.S.C. § 230
(1996)<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000230----000-.html>,
it is not our intention to continue hosting any statements that are
defamatory once we are made aware of them.

We offer to you to remove any statements on the Wikipedia Review that are
defamatory. However, as only your pseudonym is known to us, it is impossible
for us to determine which statements about you are true and which are not.
As we are sure you know, true statements cannot be defamatory. These are
options which you may pursue:

First, you are welcome to join our site as a member and contribute
corrections to any false information.

Second, you are always welcome to email either our administrators (many of
them have email addresses linked to their usernames on our site), or to send
mail to "AntiCabal =at= Gmail =dot= com".

We hope that you will take advantage of this offer. As noted, your
accusations are serious, and a claim of "actionable libel" itself may be a
legal threat of a kind that we understood was not allowed on Wikipedia. We
will welcome any effort you make to set the record straight.

/signed/
Wikipedia Review
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Doc glasgow
Wikipedia Review wrote:

> An Open Letter to the person posting on Wikipedia as "SlimVirgin" -
>
> It has come to our attention that you have made claims that our site, the
> Wikipedia Review, contains postings that include, in your words "actionable
> libel".
>
> This is a serious accusation. Without waiver of any protections afforded as
> an internet content provider under 47 U.S.C. § 230
> (1996)<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000230----000-.html>,
> it is not our intention to continue hosting any statements that are
> defamatory once we are made aware of them.
>
> We offer to you to remove any statements on the Wikipedia Review that are
> defamatory. However, as only your pseudonym is known to us, it is impossible
> for us to determine which statements about you are true and which are not.
> As we are sure you know, true statements cannot be defamatory. These are
> options which you may pursue:
>
> First, you are welcome to join our site as a member and contribute
> corrections to any false information.
>
> Second, you are always welcome to email either our administrators (many of
> them have email addresses linked to their usernames on our site), or to send
> mail to "AntiCabal =at= Gmail =dot= com".
>
> We hope that you will take advantage of this offer. As noted, your
> accusations are serious, and a claim of "actionable libel" itself may be a
> legal threat of a kind that we understood was not allowed on Wikipedia. We
> will welcome any effort you make to set the record straight.
>
> /signed/
> Wikipedia Review
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
How the hell did this piece of trolling get though? Moderators wake up!

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

David Gerard-2
On 31/05/07, doc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How the hell did this piece of trolling get though? Moderators wake up!


I have no idea. They're certainly not on the list now.


- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Guy Chapman aka JzG
In reply to this post by Doc glasgow
On Thu, 31 May 2007 13:39:41 +0100, doc <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>How the hell did this piece of trolling get though? Moderators wake up!

Hey, /I/ needed the laugh!

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Gabe Johnson-2
In reply to this post by Doc glasgow
On 5/31/07, doc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedia Review wrote:
> > An Open Letter to the person posting on Wikipedia as "SlimVirgin" -
> >
> > It has come to our attention that you have made claims that our site, the
> > Wikipedia Review, contains postings that include, in your words "actionable
> > libel".
> >
> > This is a serious accusation. Without waiver of any protections afforded as
> > an internet content provider under 47 U.S.C. § 230
> > (1996)<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode47/usc_sec_47_00000230----000-.html>,
> > it is not our intention to continue hosting any statements that are
> > defamatory once we are made aware of them.
> >
> > We offer to you to remove any statements on the Wikipedia Review that are
> > defamatory. However, as only your pseudonym is known to us, it is impossible
> > for us to determine which statements about you are true and which are not.
> > As we are sure you know, true statements cannot be defamatory. These are
> > options which you may pursue:
> >
> > First, you are welcome to join our site as a member and contribute
> > corrections to any false information.
> >
> > Second, you are always welcome to email either our administrators (many of
> > them have email addresses linked to their usernames on our site), or to send
> > mail to "AntiCabal =at= Gmail =dot= com".
> >
> > We hope that you will take advantage of this offer. As noted, your
> > accusations are serious, and a claim of "actionable libel" itself may be a
> > legal threat of a kind that we understood was not allowed on Wikipedia. We
> > will welcome any effort you make to set the record straight.
> >
> > /signed/
> > Wikipedia Review
> > _______________________________________________
> > WikiEN-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> > http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
> >
> How the hell did this piece of trolling get though? Moderators wake up!
>

Well, you *were* calling them libelers. ~~~~

--
Absolute Power
C^7rr8p£5 ab£$^u7£%y

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Joe Szilagyi
On 5/31/07, Gabe Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, you *were* calling them libelers. ~~~~


Can you even libel in most jurisdictions an anonymous handle? That
UberWiki747 beats his wife and kids and is an alcoholic! How do you libel
"UberWiki747"?

I sort of think that in any sane jurisdiction you CAN'T. Now if I said,
"Peter Griffin, of 122 Main Street, Quahog, RI beats his kids..." it would
be libel. But if Peter hides as UberWiki747, and can't be proven it's
Peter... its not libel. Peter would have to disclose he was UberWiki, no?

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Stan Shebs-2
Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> I sort of think that in any sane jurisdiction you CAN'T. Now if I said,
> "Peter Griffin, of 122 Main Street, Quahog, RI beats his kids..." it would
> be libel. But if Peter hides as UberWiki747, and can't be proven it's
> Peter... its not libel. Peter would have to disclose he was UberWiki, no?
>
>  
Exactly - those guys obsess over the real identities of editors, and are
always looking for new and different ways to acquire them; this message
is just another of their fishing expeditions.

Stan


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Joe Szilagyi
On 5/31/07, Stan Shebs <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> > I sort of think that in any sane jurisdiction you CAN'T. Now if I said,
> > "Peter Griffin, of 122 Main Street, Quahog, RI beats his kids..." it
> would
> > be libel. But if Peter hides as UberWiki747, and can't be proven it's
> > Peter... its not libel. Peter would have to disclose he was UberWiki,
> no?
> >
>
> Exactly - those guys obsess over the real identities of editors, and are
> always looking for new and different ways to acquire them; this message
> is just another of their fishing expeditions.


Er, no. I was making the specific point that you can't libel a fellow named
UberWiki747 and have it legally processed, anymore than you can libel
"SlimVirgin". Stan Shebs and Joe Szilagyi (assuming those are our real
names) can, however, be libeled. I can't think of a single case where an
anonymous alias was ever able to prosecute something like that in the United
States but feel free to correct that with {{fact}} if I'm wrong. The point
is that anyone named "GenericEditor112" saying that someone on Wikipedia
Review, or ED, or anywhere else was libeled on the given website, is full of
baloney. It may be libel, *IF* the person's real name and identity was
libeled. If it's not really them, it's not libel.

As for it being a fishing expedition, it wasn't. They clarified the factual
law that applies to a website hosted in the United States, which is covered
by the same Section 230 protections that theoretically apply to Wikipedia.
Saying something is libel doesn't make it libel.

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Daniel R. Tobias
In reply to this post by Wikipedia Review
On 31 May 2007 at 13:39:41 +0100, doc <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How the hell did this piece of trolling get though? Moderators wake up!

Trolling it may be, but it seems to be a troll with a point... it
does in fact seem to be true that, to prove that one has been libeled
by a site that engages in "outing" an editor and stating alleged
personal facts about him/her, one would have to "out" oneself, in
order to prove that they're actually the named individual (and have
standing for a suit), as well as to prove the falsity of whichever
"facts" are being alleged to be libelous.  If, instead, one were to
be suing under privacy-invasion laws instead of libel laws, different
standards would apply, but wouldn't you still have to prove your
identity, and file the suit under your real name?

There are some paradoxical complications to using the legal system to
object to such activity, which were pointed out in the form of a
request, which only became trolling because it was made rhetorically
to a respondent who has no likely prospect of following it, and this
fact was known to the writer in advance.

--
== Dan ==
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/



_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

Steve Bennett-8
In reply to this post by Doc glasgow
> How the hell did this piece of trolling get though? Moderators wake up!

I don't know that I would have rejected it. It was more interesting
than a lot of posts.

Steve

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: From the moderators of the Wikipedia Review

John Reaves
Heh, they used Gmail.

--John Reaves


> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l