[Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Casey Brown-4
Hey all!

I am glad to tell you that the first round of the translations process for the 2008 Fundraiser has begun.  We could use your help with translating the "core messages" for the fundraiser.  Please visit Meta-Wiki[1] to help translate these messages.

As always, if you need any help while translating:
* visit us on IRC, #wikimedia-translation (freenode)[2]
* visit us on Skype[3]

Looking forward to hearing from all of you soon!
Casey

[1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages
[2]irc://chat.freenode.net/wikimedia-translation
[3]http://www.skype.com/go/joinpublicchat?skypename=bastique&topic=WMF%202008%20Fundraiser%20Translations%20Channel%20-%20Translations%20expected%20to%20begin%20soon%20(source%20materials%20by%20TONIGHT%20PDT!)&blob=uTvg-ZH_VfjTEWi9uTHwhlweP9tWqqr2h6TtMsbltGgb4SYd8VlEqLG-0_pTZnWc6azkXy9DAb1I2x3zToWa8hMqPFijcsTqu5yb-RoJBJroDI9d03HcRaOxw8AysUiqSzubWl0-dXSbakkuSyeMVWjArZEDDbOoVc9ijXYrAb-sFlkGLg2OfIZnxogXRZTpZ01CVsFIuzZyQsQ7qMxbj_A1wg

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Erik Moeller-4
Thanks, Casey! One thing to note is that we're simultaneously
finalizing the designs. Not ideal, but we're working on the basis of
pretty near-final prototypes now. There will probably need to be a
couple of updates to add/modify messages, but we'll try to keep them
in batch as much as possible.

Rand or Cary will share these prototypes and further background
tomorrow so that you can have a look at what you're translating for.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Wesley Lay
quit fucking emailing me you sonofabitch

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Cary Bass-3
I have removed this unfortunate person.  Cary

quit f ...

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Ikuko Kawasaki
Hi, Casey.

This is my first time to work on Wikimedia, and I have a question for you...

Am I the only one who is working on translating this message into Japanese, or are there a group of volunteers who are translating this message into the same language at that same time?

Does this make sense?  I am a bit confused with what I am supposed to do.

Thank you!
Ikuko

[1]<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages" target="_blank">http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages
[2]irc://<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://chat.freenode.net/wikimedia-translation" target="_blank">chat.freenode.net/wikimedia-translation
[3]<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.skype.com/go/joinpublicchat?skypename=bastique&amp;topic=WMF%202008%20Fundraiser%20Translations%20Channel%20-%20Translations%20expected%20to%20begin%20soon%20(source%20materials%20by%20TONIGHT%20PDT!)&amp;blob=uTvg-ZH_VfjTEWi9uTHwhlweP9tWqqr2h6TtMsbltGgb4SYd8VlEqLG-0_pTZnWc6azkXy9DAb1I2x3zToWa8hMqPFijcsTqu5yb-RoJBJroDI9d03HcRaOxw8AysUiqSzubWl0-dXSbakkuSyeMVWjArZEDDbOoVc9ijXYrAb-sFlkGLg2OfIZnxogXRZTpZ01CVsFIuzZyQsQ7qMxbj_A1wg" target="_blank">http://www.skype.com/go/joinpublicchat?skypename=bastique&topic=WMF%202008%20Fundraiser%20Translations%20Channel%20-%20Translations%20expected%20to%20begin%20soon%20(source%20materials%20by%20TONIGHT%20PDT!)&blob=uTvg-ZH_VfjTEWi9uTHwhlweP9tWqqr2h6TtMsbltGgb4SYd8VlEqLG-0_pTZnWc6azkXy9DAb1I2x3zToWa8hMqPFijcsTqu5yb-RoJBJroDI9d03HcRaOxw8AysUiqSzubWl0-dXSbakkuSyeMVWjArZEDDbOoVc9ijXYrAb-sFlkGLg2OfIZnxogXRZTpZ01CVsFIuzZyQsQ7qMxbj_A1wg

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Casey Brown-3
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Ikuko Kawasaki <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Casey.

This is my first time to work on Wikimedia, and I have a question for you...

Am I the only one who is working on translating this message into Japanese, or are there a group of volunteers who are translating this message into the same language at that same time?

Does this make sense?  I am a bit confused with what I am supposed to do.

Thank you!
Ikuko

Hey Ikuko!

Short answer: it can be either.  Normally, one person looks at the page and translates it (or as much as they can).  Then we find some other Japanese speakers to copyedit the translation.  However, if you have another user who also speaks Japanese, you guys can work on translating it together.

Basically, you can start now (by clicking the "missing" link next to "ja") and more people might come along to help you later. :-)  Does that make sense?

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Thomas Goldammer
Hoi,

I did the German part, but there were some phrases where I either was
uncertain or did just guess what was meant. I put comments on the
parts that are a little bit tricky. The weirdest things were:
#92: What is meant by "stock"?
#102: What does the last sentence mean? ("Chapters listed here also
invest 50% of their proceeds in activities agreed upon with the
international Wikimedia Foundation.") Does that mean that the intl.
WMF has to agree to 50% of the investments of local chapters or
something like that?
#115: What are "audio PSAs"???
#123: The second sentence is completely unclear to me. ("Chapters
support outreach in their region or territory, and also conduct local
fundraising campaigns alongside the Wikimedia Foundation.")

Maybe some German speakers who are better in English than me are
reading this and can proofread the stuff.

Th.

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Casey Brown-3
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Thomas Goldammer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,

Hallo. ;-)

I did the German part,

Great!  Danke. :D

but there were some phrases where I either was
uncertain or did just guess what was meant. I put comments on the
parts that are a little bit tricky.

Sorry about that.  It should be clearer soon, when we actually have the live drafts up for you guys to see where everything fits in (should provide more context).

The weirdest things were:
#92: What is meant by "stock"?

ie. a part of a company, like if someone wants to donate us Google Stock: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock>

#102: What does the last sentence mean? ("Chapters listed here also
invest 50% of their proceeds in activities agreed upon with the
international Wikimedia Foundation.") Does that mean that the intl.
WMF has to agree to 50% of the investments of local chapters or
something like that?

My interpretation of this is that there will be a list of chapters beneath that.  Those chapters will take 50% of the money received during this fundraiser and (instead of deciding their own activities as independent associations) they will talk with the Foundation about what to do with that money (50% of it).  It's a little confusing... :-/

#115: What are "audio PSAs"???

Public service announcement: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_service_announcement>; ie. Let's say you have a podcast.  At the end of your podcast you will play one of these "audio PSAs" which will say something like "Wikipedia is a non-profit, please donate now to keep it running!"  It is like an advertisement one hears of the radio.

#123: The second sentence is completely unclear to me. ("Chapters
support outreach in their region or territory, and also conduct local
fundraising campaigns alongside the Wikimedia Foundation.")

This seems to mean that chapters work in *their* area (ie. Wikimedia Deutschland works in Germany) to get the word out about Wikimedia (ie. hold Wikipedia Academies, distribute pamphlets, etc.).  However, we're also mentioning that they fundraise *with* the Foundation itself.  This could include anything from a localized donation page ("In Germany, you can deduct XXX from your income after donating to WMDE!") to actually paying for PSAs to run on television there.

Maybe some German speakers who are better in English than me are
reading this and can proofread the stuff.

Your English is great, Thogo. ;-)

Cary, Jay, Rand:  If I interpretted this differently than you guys did -- please speak up. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

2008/10/21 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
> My interpretation of this is that there will be a list of chapters beneath
> that.  Those chapters will take 50% of the money received during this
> fundraiser and (instead of deciding their own activities as independent
> associations) they will talk with the Foundation about what to do with that
> money (50% of it).  It's a little confusing... :-/

What's happening is this: On the donation page, you can decide to
donate to a chapter _instead of_ the Wikimedia Foundation. If and only
if you donate with the chapter, that chapter will invest 50% of the
contributions received in local program activities (e.g. events), and
50% in activities to be agreed upon with the WMF (e.g. hiring a
software developer, buying a server, etc.).

We have developed a specific contractual agreement between WMF and
chapters that want to participate in the online fundraiser. Only those
chapters which will sign that agreement will be featured here.

I hope these messages will become clearer with the screenshots that
Rand will send out in a couple of minutes, though the chapters message
isn't included in the latest prototypes yet. Please let me know if the
above answers the original question, and if you feel that the message
could be clarified in some form.

Thanks,
Erik

We have some drafts up on Meta-Wiki to help with context: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Bence Damokos
Shouldn't the links be marked in some way in the source? so that it is clear after the translation, which part of the sentence should be the link.
E.g. in the text " Our privacy policy can be found here" if you don't mark here in some way, it will be impossible to know, that in the translated sentence ("Adatvédelmi elveink itt találhatóak") itt corresponds to here.

Best regards,
Bence Damokos

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Should we translate the bold headers on the translation page (such as ";Landing Page" , "Sitenotices")?

Bence Damokos

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry about that.  It should be clearer soon, when we actually have the live drafts up for you guys to see where everything fits in (should provide more context).

We have some drafts up on Meta-Wiki to help with context: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Bence Damokos
An another small tid bit is that message 114 states that all the buttons are under a CC-BY-SA licence, while the original puzzle piece [1]
is under a GFDL licence. I don't know if the original author has done the buttons as well (so he can re-release it under the Creatve Commons licence), or if they should be, as derivatives be under the GFDL licence as well. (Alternatively the puzzle piece should be double licensed under the chosen CC licence of the buttons).

-Bence Damokos

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

KIZU Naoko
Hi Ikuko and Casey,
welcome to the team, Ikuko. I am grad to see you here :)

Casey is right in his explanation. I would like to add there would be
other Japanese translators if lucky. Some of them may be listed at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_teams/ja

One another tip: if you are working on wiki directly you would like to
warn other users using  {{inuse}} [1] which let the other know someone
is editing the page and avoid edit conflict.

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Inuse

Happy editing :)

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Ikuko Kawasaki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Casey.
>>
>> This is my first time to work on Wikimedia, and I have a question for
>> you...
>>
>> Am I the only one who is working on translating this message into
>> Japanese, or are there a group of volunteers who are translating this
>> message into the same language at that same time?
>>
>> Does this make sense?  I am a bit confused with what I am supposed to do.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Ikuko
>>

> Hey Ikuko!
>
> Short answer: it can be either.  Normally, one person looks at the page and
> translates it (or as much as they can).  Then we find some other Japanese
> speakers to copyedit the translation.  However, if you have another user who
> also speaks Japanese, you guys can work on translating it together.
>
> Basically, you can start now (by clicking the "missing" link next to "ja")
> and more people might come along to help you later. :-)  Does that make
> sense?
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>
> ---
> this address will probably get lost.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Luigi Assom
Hello eveybody,

If out of topic I will forward this message with a new one.

I am looking for people who can help and contribute to translate in their native languages
this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gg4u

It is a preliminary test for feedback of a potential project for delivering content in local languages for rural development.
The priority languages are the ones spoken in Africa, Caribbean and Pacific countries (79 countries ACP).

Could you help?/ Know someone who could help?
I can give you more detail on request, if you wish.

Thank you very much,
Luigi Assom

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Ikuko Kawasaki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Casey.
>>
>> This is my first time to work on Wikimedia, and I have a question for
>> you...
>>
>> Am I the only one who is working on translating this message into
>> Japanese, or are there a group of volunteers who are translating this
>> message into the same language at that same time?
>>
>> Does this make sense?  I am a bit confused with what I am supposed to do.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Ikuko
>>

> Hey Ikuko!
>
> Short answer: it can be either.  Normally, one person looks at the page and
> translates it (or as much as they can).  Then we find some other Japanese
> speakers to copyedit the translation.  However, if you have another user who
> also speaks Japanese, you guys can work on translating it together.
>
> Basically, you can start now (by clicking the "missing" link next to "ja")
> and more people might come along to help you later. :-)  Does that make
> sense?
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>
> ---
> this address will probably get lost.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Luigi Assom

Skype contact: oggigigi

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

KIZU Naoko
Hello,
welcome to Wikimedia translators mailing list, Luigi.

In my opinion it is out of topic. I fail to see any relevance between
your concern and fundraising. I strongly hope you not to post every
thread your message about your own translation request and not to have
me as list moderator moderate your post.

Thank you.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Luigi Assom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello eveybody,
>
> If out of topic I will forward this message with a new one.
>
> I am looking for people who can help and contribute to translate in their
> native languages
> this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gg4u
>

> It is a preliminary test for feedback of a potential project for delivering
> content in local languages for rural development.
> The priority languages are the ones spoken in Africa, Caribbean and Pacific
> countries (79 countries ACP).
>
> Could you help?/ Know someone who could help?
> I can give you more detail on request, if you wish.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Luigi Assom
>
> 2008/10/23 Aphaia <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Ikuko and Casey,
>> welcome to the team, Ikuko. I am grad to see you here :)
>>
>> Casey is right in his explanation. I would like to add there would be
>> other Japanese translators if lucky. Some of them may be listed at
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_teams/ja
>>
>> One another tip: if you are working on wiki directly you would like to
>> warn other users using  {{inuse}} [1] which let the other know someone
>> is editing the page and avoid edit conflict.
>>
>> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Inuse
>>
>> Happy editing :)
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Ikuko Kawasaki
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > Hey Ikuko!
>> >
>> > Short answer: it can be either.  Normally, one person looks at the page
>> > and
>> > translates it (or as much as they can).  Then we find some other
>> > Japanese
>> > speakers to copyedit the translation.  However, if you have another user
>> > who
>> > also speaks Japanese, you guys can work on translating it together.
>> >
>> > Basically, you can start now (by clicking the "missing" link next to
>> > "ja")
>> > and more people might come along to help you later. :-)  Does that make
>> > sense?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Casey Brown
>> > Cbrown1023
>> >
>> > ---
>> > sent
>> > this address will probably get lost.

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko
>> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

> Luigi Assom
>
> Skype contact: oggigigi

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Luigi Assom
Aphaia,
I assume you are the moderator.

I shall forward the message with a new object to the mailing list, ok?

Many thanks for your comment, I've just joined the mailing list.

> [...]

>> > "ja")
>> > and more people might come along to help you later. :-)  Does that make
>> > sense?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Casey Brown
>> > Cbrown1023
>> >
>> > ---
>> > sent
>> > this address will probably get lost.

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko
>> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

> Luigi Assom
>
> Skype contact: oggigigi

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Luigi Assom

Skype contact: oggigigi

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

I am one of this list moderators as you guess.

I appreciate your effort to keep threads with relative information. As
for your question, I got your message about your request already which
was posted three days before. If you have an update, please do. But if
you think to post the same message again, I easily foresee there would
be requests for your moderation by the other subscribers which we
moderators may give consideration.

Thanks,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Luigi Assom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aphaia,
> I assume you are the moderator.
>
> I shall forward the message with a new object to the mailing list, ok?
>
> Many thanks for your comment, I've just joined the mailing list.
>

> 2008/10/23 Aphaia <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hello,
>> welcome to Wikimedia translators mailing list, Luigi.
>>
>> In my opinion it is out of topic. I fail to see any relevance between
>> your concern and fundraising. I strongly hope you not to post every
>> thread your message about your own translation request and not to have
>> me as list moderator moderate your post.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Luigi Assom <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello eveybody,
>> >
>> > If out of topic I will forward this message with a new one.
>> >
>> > I am looking for people who can help and contribute to translate in
>> > their
>> > native languages
>> > this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gg4u
>> >

>> > It is a preliminary test for feedback of a potential project for
>> > delivering
>> > content in local languages for rural development.
>> > The priority languages are the ones spoken in Africa, Caribbean and
>> > Pacific
>> > countries (79 countries ACP).
>> >
>> > Could you help?/ Know someone who could help?
>> > I can give you more detail on request, if you wish.
>> >
>> > Thank you very much,
>> > Luigi Assom

>> > --
>> > Luigi Assom
>> >
>> > Skype contact: oggigigi

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko
>> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

> Luigi Assom
>
> Skype contact: oggigigi

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Luigi Assom
Ok Aphaia, thanks.
I don't want to make improper use of the list.
I hope that the community can help on my post.
Thanks!

2008/10/23 Aphaia <[hidden email]>
Hello,
I am one of this list moderators as you guess.

I appreciate your effort to keep threads with relative information. As
for your question, I got your message about your request already which
was posted three days before. If you have an update, please do. But if
you think to post the same message again, I easily foresee there would
be requests for your moderation by the other subscribers which we
moderators may give consideration.

Thanks,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Luigi Assom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Aphaia,
> I assume you are the moderator.
>
> I shall forward the message with a new object to the mailing list, ok?
>
> Many thanks for your comment, I've just joined the mailing list.
>

> 2008/10/23 Aphaia <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hello,
>> welcome to Wikimedia translators mailing list, Luigi.
>>
>> In my opinion it is out of topic. I fail to see any relevance between
>> your concern and fundraising. I strongly hope you not to post every
>> thread your message about your own translation request and not to have
>> me as list moderator moderate your post.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Luigi Assom <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello eveybody,
>> >
>> > If out of topic I will forward this message with a new one.
>> >
>> > I am looking for people who can help and contribute to translate in
>> > their
>> > native languages
>> > this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gg4u
>> >

>> > It is a preliminary test for feedback of a potential project for
>> > delivering
>> > content in local languages for rural development.
>> > The priority languages are the ones spoken in Africa, Caribbean and
>> > Pacific
>> > countries (79 countries ACP).
>> >
>> > Could you help?/ Know someone who could help?
>> > I can give you more detail on request, if you wish.
>> >
>> > Thank you very much,
>> > Luigi Assom

>> > --
>> > Luigi Assom
>> >
>> > Skype contact: oggigigi

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko
>> http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>> Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

> Luigi Assom
>
> Skype contact: oggigigi

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Luigi Assom

Skype contact: oggigigi

Re: [Fundraiser 2008] Translations begin!

Ikuko Kawasaki
Hi Aphaia,

Thanks for having me in the team!!

Ikuko