Fundraiser final figures

Chris Keating-2
Thought you might be interested to know that we have so far raised £1,014,176 in the Wikimedia fundraiser, and accordingly we took the fundraising banners down last night. :-)

Further info here:

... and here ....

Re: Fundraiser final figures

WereSpielChequers-2
Great news, congratulations on getting a million so far plus of course the cheques still in the post. Shame about the GiftAid thing, I was expecting a much higher take up. Mind you if we repeat this next year and get 60% takeup that would be >£150k and at least £60k more than this year.

WSC

On 1 January 2012 12:12, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thought you might be interested to know that we have so far raised £1,014,176 in the Wikimedia fundraiser, and accordingly we took the fundraising banners down last night. :-)

Further info here:

... and here ....

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Thomas Dalton
On 1 January 2012 14:35, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news, congratulations on getting a million so far plus of course the
> cheques still in the post. Shame about the GiftAid thing, I was expecting a
> much higher take up. Mind you if we repeat this next year and get 60% takeup
> that would be >£150k and at least £60k more than this year.

It's probably worth contacting people that didn't fill out a
declaration (by email or snail mail) and asking them if they would
like to do so now. It wouldn't be too difficult to send such an email,
and it might a few extra percentage points on the takeup.

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Doug Weller-2
Not a bad idea. Um, I knew I'd forgotten something. Just set up a
standing order and filled out the GiftAid form online.
Doug

http://www.ramtops.co.uk

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Chris Keating-2

On 1 January 2012 14:35, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news, congratulations on getting a million so far plus of course the
> cheques still in the post. Shame about the GiftAid thing, I was expecting a
> much higher take up. Mind you if we repeat this next year and get 60% takeup
> that would be >£150k and at least £60k more than this year.

It's probably worth contacting people that didn't fill out a
declaration (by email or snail mail) and asking them if they would
like to do so now. It wouldn't be too difficult to send such an email,
and it might a few extra percentage points on the takeup.

The thankyou emails we're sending do indeed contain a link to a Gift Aid form for anyone who's forgotten it.

With one test we actually got 80% takeup of Gift Aid, but that form layout sadly reduced donations, so we stuck with the version that was getting us 60% takeup.

Gift Aid is probably the main thing we could have done better, but given that we only became eligible for it 1 week before the start of the fundraiser and didn't have any technical resource to do things like build payment forms, the circumstances weren't great either.

@Doug - thank you!

Chris

On 1 January 2012 15:21, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The thankyou emails we're sending do indeed contain a link to a Gift Aid
> form for anyone who's forgotten it.
>
> With one test we actually got 80% takeup of Gift Aid, but that form layout
> sadly reduced donations, so we stuck with the version that was getting us
> 60% takeup.
>
> Gift Aid is probably the main thing we could have done better, but given
> that we only became eligible for it 1 week before the start of the
> fundraiser and didn't have any technical resource to do things like build
> payment forms, the circumstances weren't great either.

How much does a gift aid form need to contain beyond a check box?
Don't you get things like name and address as part of the donation
itself?

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Chris Keating-2

> Gift Aid is probably the main thing we could have done better, but given
> that we only became eligible for it 1 week before the start of the
> fundraiser and didn't have any technical resource to do things like build
> payment forms, the circumstances weren't great either.

How much does a gift aid form need to contain beyond a check box?
Don't you get things like name and address as part of the donation
itself?

It needs to be a check-box with the right wording, though, which is why it took a few weeks to sort out.

Chris

Re: Fundraiser final figures

John Byrne-8
Congratulations on a superb result!  Actually my recollection on looking
at typical figures released by other charities is that even 60% Gift Aid
sign-up is pretty good - remember not everyone can sign up.  But usually
the higher the donation the more likely they are to sign up.  The direct
debit figure seems an excellent result to me as well, and the increase
in big single donations.  The rise in donations from Dec 20 on is
interesting - was this the emails?  43,700 donors in total, vs 30K last
year, is worth highlighting too!  Well done everyone concerned.

John

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Chris Keating-2
People reading this thread might also be interested in Sue Gardner's current proposals regarding fundraising in future.

I expect that we will be making a formal response as a chapter in due course, but I am sure individuals on this list will have views as well.

Regards,

Chris

Re: Fundraiser final figures

WereSpielChequers-2
The WMF would appear to be basing their planning on dollar values without allowing for the idea that year on year currency fluctuations might effect the differential success of chapters. Could someone provide the figures in sterling and ideally the exchange rates that applied at the time of the donations so we can add a sterling row to the Google doc they are working from?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah1QkDyemcHbdHNFZEs0ZEgxWHF2cVNabHZGb0xlaEE#gid=0

I have a sneaking suspicion that this years chapters that are processing payments are European ones and what the WMF is measuring is weakness in the Euro and Sterling not weakness in the localisation model - unless of course they conclude that the localisation of payment collection is the cause of Europe's current economic malaise?

WSC

On 5 January 2012 17:43, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
People reading this thread might also be interested in Sue Gardner's current proposals regarding fundraising in future.

I expect that we will be making a formal response as a chapter in due course, but I am sure individuals on this list will have views as well.

Regards,

Chris

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Charles Matthews

On 5 January 2012 17:43, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
People reading this thread might also be interested in Sue Gardner's current proposals regarding fundraising in future.

I expect that we will be making a formal response as a chapter in due course, but I am sure individuals on this list will have views as well.

It's certainly a big deal for WMUK. Sue's position could have been anticipated, by anyone who keeps up with the Signpost, for example. I'm in two minds myself.

Charles

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Thomas Dalton
On 6 January 2012 16:00, Charles Matthews
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's certainly a big deal for WMUK. Sue's position could have been
> anticipated, by anyone who keeps up with the Signpost, for example. I'm in
> two minds myself.

Sue's position has been reasonably clear since Haifa, but it hasn't
been in keeping with the board's position (the letter they sent round
while in Haifa sets out clear criteria for chaptesr to fundraise and
they aren't impossible criterea to meet so they clearly intended for
that to be an option). My concern is that the board will be split and
they'll end up defaulting to accepting the recommendations of the ED
rather than having to make a decision of their own...

Re: Fundraiser final figures

Michael Peel-4
Hi WSC,

The numbers are available in a couple of places.

The 2010-11 numbers are in the fundraising report at:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:FundraisingReport2010-11Final.pdf
the spreadsheet (with other chapter's number, and the currency conversions) at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av5TeXEyGuvpdFA5SGRvbFB0c1dENUpncG1YUmRFUEE#gid=22
The best reference for the amount in GBP, though, is the annual report at:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_UK_accounts_31_January_2011.pdf

The current best source for the 2011-12 numbers is Chris's spreadsheet at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlqyXSQdAbSvdFpPZ2lhVFVvX3A2aEhZOXJuTGpveVE&hl=en_GB#gid=0
in particular the numbers to the left of the 'Comparison with Activity Plan' sheet. The values in USD (and the currency conversion) are in the shared spreadsheet at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsYxO0Je1DGRdHZQMW53X2xSMm5JaWc4ZWNseU9uemc&hl=en_GB#gid=0

I think the problem here is that WMF are only looking at the paypal and direct debit entries in the latest spreadsheet, which excludes other donation mechanisms and Gift Aid...

Thanks,
Mike
P.S. eew, Google Docs, but it seems we can't avoid it nowadays. :-(