Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Chris Keating-2
News just in: we are now accepting text donations. Just text the phrase WIKI11 and the amount you want to give (£1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10) to 70070. No cost to send the text, no fees for us to pay. You'll get a message back asking you to fill in a Gift Aid declaration.

In other fundraiser news, as of midnight the figures were:
£494,000 pledged in total (exc Gift Aid)
£317,000 of that already in the bank
Projected Gift Aid on donations already made nearly £40,000

A fully up-to-date running totals spreadsheet with all the gory detail is here:

Any questions, please give me a shout!

Chris

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

WereSpielChequers-2
Hi Chris, if I remember rightly that's about half our annual target - are we halfway or more into the campaign?

Re the Direct debits we seem to only be  valuing them as one years donations, it might be worth putting a higher notional value n them as the average new direct debit is multi year income.

Gift Aid of less than 10% is disappointing, I estimate that as only half the signups that we should be getting. Might be worth testing some different mechanics and wording there.

WSC

On 30 November 2011 12:22, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
News just in: we are now accepting text donations. Just text the phrase WIKI11 and the amount you want to give (£1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10) to 70070. No cost to send the text, no fees for us to pay. You'll get a message back asking you to fill in a Gift Aid declaration.

In other fundraiser news, as of midnight the figures were:
£494,000 pledged in total (exc Gift Aid)
£317,000 of that already in the bank
Projected Gift Aid on donations already made nearly £40,000

A fully up-to-date running totals spreadsheet with all the gory detail is here:

Any questions, please give me a shout!

Chris

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Thomas Dalton
On 30 November 2011 12:22, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> News just in: we are now accepting text donations. Just text the phrase
> WIKI11 and the amount you want to give (£1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10) to 70070.
> No cost to send the text, no fees for us to pay. You'll get a message back
> asking you to fill in a Gift Aid declaration.

You don't even have to pay your normal network rate for the text? Even
Comic Relief (who I recently donated to be text message) couldn't
manage to negotitate that good a deal (if memory serves), how did you
do it?

Are you planning banners with the SMS instructions?

Geographical diversity

HJ Mitchell
Over the last year or so Wikimedia UK has run or supported events across the country, but there are huge areas of the UK where we don't yet have any presence, so I created this page on the WMUK wiki to demonstrate where there have been events and where there haven't and so we can discuss ideas for increasing the geographical diversity of our events.

If I've missed out an important event or you have nay ideas for extending our reach into some of these areas, please do add them to the page. :)

Thanks,
Harry
(User:HJ Mitchell)

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Chris Keating-2

Hi Chris, if I remember rightly that's about half our annual target - are we halfway or more into the campaign?

No, we are slightly less than 1/3 the way through the campaign; sheet 3 of this Google doc covers that.

You can see that we expect a gradual decay in the daily amount - this is to be expected, as the people most likely to donate are the most frequent users of the site. However, we are within the margin of error of where we need to be.

Re the Direct debits we seem to only be  valuing them as one years donations, it might be worth putting a higher notional value n them as the average new direct debit is multi year income.

We are actually valuing them as 0.9 of a year's donation, because the main question we are trying to answer with these figures is "how close are we to the amount we need to fund our planned 2012 activity?". The 0.9 is because we know that a certain proportion of donors will cancel before their DD has been going a full year.

We estimate the value of a DD donor over 5 years is roughly 3.5x the value of the first year of gifts, taking cancellations into account, and this fact is why we are emphasising Direct Debit signups.

Gift Aid of less than 10% is disappointing, I estimate that as only half the signups that we should be getting. Might be worth testing some different mechanics and wording there.

Yes, that's one of the things we're aiming to do next.

Tom: regarding the SMS donations have a look at www.justtextgiving.co.uk. It is an offer that's open to any UK charity. The service is actually free.

Too good to be true? Well, Vodafone are paying for it out of their CSR budget, JustGiving are taking part because they like to be seen as market leader, and there is an (optional) £15-a-month subscription to JustGiving required to get additional features for it, which will sign up for.

And banners about SMS donations are also somewhere on the to-do list. :-)

Chris

On 30 November 2011 12:22, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
News just in: we are now accepting text donations. Just text the phrase WIKI11 and the amount you want to give (£1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10) to 70070. No cost to send the text, no fees for us to pay. You'll get a message back asking you to fill in a Gift Aid declaration.

In other fundraiser news, as of midnight the figures were:
£494,000 pledged in total (exc Gift Aid)
£317,000 of that already in the bank
Projected Gift Aid on donations already made nearly £40,000

A fully up-to-date running totals spreadsheet with all the gory detail is here:

Any questions, please give me a shout!

Chris

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Fae-6
I was fairly sceptical about the text giving when it was first
suggested, but I'm delighted that there are no hidden costs. Great
work Chris. Definitely worth the work on a banner, many of our mobile
addicted readers would think that sending a text is easier than
filling out the online form.

Cheers,
Fae

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Steve Virgin
Fae

I completely agree with you - well done Chris marvellous work

Steve

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Chris Keating-2

Yes it looking pretty good, the whole fundraiser has started off well, am I right in thinking that with this amount raised so far we are heading to increase our proportion of total funds raised by the movement? I.E. Are we outperforming the global campaign?

Difficult to tell, I'm afraid. The WMF's figures are no longer available (the live reporting tool crashed - taking Wikipedia with it, actually ;-) ) and in any case the WMF's figures are non-comparable with previous years because the WMF is processing payments in many more countries.

The important thing is that we are on track to raise the £1m we said we would when we drafted the Activity Plan.

Chris

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

HJ Mitchell
I just donated a pound to test it and it didn't ask me about Gift Aid, I just got a donation reference.

Harry

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Andrew Gray-3
On 30 November 2011 17:40, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Gift Aid of less than 10% is disappointing, I estimate that as only half
>> the signups that we should be getting. Might be worth testing some different
>> mechanics and wording there.
>
> Yes, that's one of the things we're aiming to do next.

Out of interest, do we know what the "normal" rate of obtaining
gift-aid for this sort of charitable campaign is?

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

Chris Keating-2

>> Gift Aid of less than 10% is disappointing, I estimate that as only half
>> the signups that we should be getting. Might be worth testing some different
>> mechanics and wording there.
>
> Yes, that's one of the things we're aiming to do next.

Out of interest, do we know what the "normal" rate of obtaining
gift-aid for this sort of charitable campaign is?

I don't really think any such figure exists. Various charities will know their own figures for % gift aid for online donations, but they don't publish it, and even that figure wouldn't necessarily reflect what we should expect - our average donation is quite low and we will get many donations from students etc who might not pay income tax.

The overall, cross-channel, cross-sector benchmark is 40% of donations being Gift Aidable, but that is so abstracted to be useless for practical purposes.

The main factor within our control is that currently we don't make it particularly easy for people to give us Gift Aid declarations, and we are working to streamline that process.

Chris

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

HJ Mitchell
A box to tick that says "I'd like to add Gift Aid" followed by the small print might increase donations, but Gif Aid itself is a little fiddly because you have to fill in your name and address and confirm you understand the small print.

It might also be worth making the link to "other ways to give" a little more prominent.

Harry

>> Gift Aid of less than 10% is disappointing, I estimate that as only half
>> the signups that we should be getting. Might be worth testing some different
>> mechanics and wording there.
>
> Yes, that's one of the things we're aiming to do next.

Out of interest, do we know what the "normal" rate of obtaining
gift-aid for this sort of charitable campaign is?

I don't really think any such figure exists. Various charities will know their own figures for % gift aid for online donations, but they don't publish it, and even that figure wouldn't necessarily reflect what we should expect - our average donation is quite low and we will get many donations from students etc who might not pay income tax.

The overall, cross-channel, cross-sector benchmark is 40% of donations being Gift Aidable, but that is so abstracted to be useless for practical purposes.

The main factor within our control is that currently we don't make it particularly easy for people to give us Gift Aid declarations, and we are working to streamline that process.

Chris

Re: Fundraiser update - and SMS donations

James Farrar

I'm amazed it's actually free - Just Giving take a hefty cut of donations (6% IIRC) as well as charging charities a monthly fee. Which is why I won't use them.