[Fundraising 2008] Small update

Casey Brown-3
Hey!

There was a small update to the translation source[1] that needs to be
reflected across the other language versions (I've already updated the
language sources, so you should just have to translate what's in
English on that page).

A few people have asked what the "Special" section means and if that
should be translated.  What it is is that you update it with the
information specific to your language.  For example, French is mostly
spoken in France, so they might want the default currency to EUR/€.
Also, for things like the "Jimmy quote" that was used last year[2] we
will need to use "quotes".  Some languages do not use the standard
English quotes, so we would like to support them.  To go again with
the French example, we would mark that they use « for the left quotes
and » for the right quote.

You also have the option of updating the default amounts.  For
example, the defaults of "30", "75", and "100" would not work at all
for Yen/¥... it would be very strange to see that. :-)

Thanks for all your hard work so far in translating the fundraiser
items!  Sorry about the small change to the source! :-(

[1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fundraising_2008%2Fcore_messages%2Fen&diff=1249752&oldid=1243062
[2]http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Huji Lee
Thanks Casey, and I have a question for you:

In the Special section, I see "left quote" and "right quote". I assume that the software that is using these messages laters, knows that a "left quote" appears first in LTR languages, but appears last RTL ones. If it doesn't, either it should be considered in the software, or the "left/right quote" pair should be changed to "starting quote" and "ending quote".

Best,

Hojjat

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Huji <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Casey, and I have a question for you:
>
> In the Special section, I see "left quote" and "right quote". I assume that
> the software that is using these messages laters, knows that a "left quote"
> appears first in LTR languages, but appears last RTL ones. If it doesn't,
> either it should be considered in the software, or the "left/right quote"
> pair should be changed to "starting quote" and "ending quote".

That's a good point, feel free to change it for the rtl languages to
make it a lot clearer. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Bence Damokos
About the amounts: should they be just converted to the local currency (where available: I believe PayPal accepts 18 different currencies all in all) or be adjusted to the local conditions.

For example, Couchsurfing uses a scale based on purchasing power parity and HDI on their donation pages, where the original 25$ donation adjusted to French conditions would be the equivalent of 21$, to Hungarian conditions ~16$. [1]

An another obvious consideration is that the given numbers should sound good, so with the above example's France: 20$ , Hungary: 15$, USA: 25$.

I don't know how accurately would the Couchsurfing scale represent the differences in default donations to WMF by country/currency; it might be useful to know what are the commons amounts in a given group of donors (e.g. those who give little, medium, large amount of money).

Best regards,
Bence Damokos

On 10/31/08, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Huji <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Casey, and I have a question for you:
>
> In the Special section, I see "left quote" and "right quote". I assume that
> the software that is using these messages laters, knows that a "left quote"
> appears first in LTR languages, but appears last RTL ones. If it doesn't,
> either it should be considered in the software, or the "left/right quote"
> pair should be changed to "starting quote" and "ending quote".

That's a good point, feel free to change it for the rtl languages to
make it a lot clearer. :-)

That leaves me in confusion, Casey. For any change to be applied, we need to know first whether "left" quote means that one that is going to appear on the left of a word, or "before" the word starts. Can you clear that for me/us please?

Hojjat (aka Huji)

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Huji <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That leaves me in confusion, Casey. For any change to be applied, we need to
> know first whether "left" quote means that one that is going to appear on
> the left of a word, or "before" the word starts. Can you clear that for
> me/us please?

I know what you mean, but we don't really know how the rtl will be
managed yet.  So how about instead of "left" or "right", you use
"starting" and "ending"?  That way when we figure it out, it will be
clear which is which.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> About the amounts: should they be just converted to the local currency
> (where available: I believe PayPal accepts 18 different currencies all in
> all) or be adjusted to the local conditions.
> For example, Couchsurfing uses a scale based on purchasing power parity and
> HDI on their donation pages, where the original 25$ donation adjusted to
> French conditions would be the equivalent of 21$, to Hungarian conditions
> ~16$. [1]
> An another obvious consideration is that the given numbers should sound
> good, so with the above example's France: 20$ , Hungary: 15$, USA: 25$.
> [1] - http://www.couchsurfing.com/verification.html?sliding_scale=1
>
> I don't know how accurately would the Couchsurfing scale represent the
> differences in default donations to WMF by country/currency; it might be
> useful to know what are the commons amounts in a given group of donors (e.g.
> those who give little, medium, large amount of money).
> Best regards,
> Bence Damokos

I've always thought that you should try to localize the donation pages
and amounts.  So do whatever makes sense for your country.  It can be
a direct conversion, but it doesn't need to be.  For example if we're
talking about a poor country (or one that doesn't like to donate
much), we'd want to use smaller default amounts.  If we're talking
about a rich country, we would use larger default amounts.  I leave it
up to you, the people who know best. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey!
[snip]

Good news!  If you were wondering about context and the images weren't
good enough, now we have some live demos up on the live Wikimedia
Foundation site: <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Test/Donate/en>.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Bence Damokos
Hi!
Thank you for starting to publish the Hungarian version as well, it's much better to see things in context.
*The phrase "other" has not been among the translatable messages
*The currency symbol in some cases should come after the amount: the Hungarian Forint's "Ft" symbol is one of them.

Thanks,
Bence Damokos

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey!
[snip]

Good news!  If you were wondering about context and the images weren't
good enough, now we have some live demos up on the live Wikimedia
Foundation site: <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Test/Donate/en>.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Mormegil
And "Copy the code below to embed this button on your website." on the
"Show Support" page seem untranslatable, too.

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
> Thank you for starting to publish the Hungarian version as well, it's much
> better to see things in context.

That's good to hear. :D

> Two things seem apparent
> on http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Test/Donate/Now/hu
> *The phrase "other" has not been among the translatable messages

Yeah, unfortunately when we were publishing them we realized we
weren't given all the strings that were needed (somewhere along the
line they were neglected) -- we'll probably add yet *another* section
to the core_messages like ;Missing.  If you're on this list and find
it, feel free to e-mail me with it before we update the sources on
Meta.

> *The currency symbol in some cases should come after the amount: the
> Hungarian Forint's "Ft" symbol is one of them.

I added a variable to the template which would fix this problem
(|currency-order=after).  I've applied it to Hungarian, if any other
languages need it -- be sure to tell me and I'll fix it. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Xavier SMP

Hello! I am also happy for having the test version of the fundraising webpage. With it I have seen that one of the tab buttons in the top menu was translated (into Catalan) incorrectly. The "Show support" tab should not read "Mostra ajuda" but rather "Mostreu el vostre suport". I have corrected this in meta. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages/ca

In addition to this I have also found some thinks that I would like to comment:
*The currency symbol should come after the amount as in Hungarian: like 20€
*In Jimbo's quote, there is a < symbol which seems to be a typo but is not present in meta translation.
*The red title in "Donation now" is wrong. It reads "Ajudeu la Wikimedia!" which does not appear in meta translation. I understand that you have changed Wikipedia into Wikimedia from a similar message, but now it does not sound good. I suggest saying "Ajudeu Wikimedia!"

If this is not the appropriate channel to ask for these kind of corrections, please say it to me :-)

User:SMP

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Xavier SMP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello! I am also happy for having the test version of the fundraising webpage. With it I have seen that one of the tab buttons in the top menu was translated (into Catalan) incorrectly. The "Show support" tab should not read "Mostra ajuda" but rather "Mostreu el vostre suport". I have corrected this in meta. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages/ca
>
> In addition to this I have also found some thinks that I would like to comment:
> *The currency symbol should come after the amount as in Hungarian: like 20€
> *In Jimbo's quote, there is a < symbol which seems to be a typo but is not present in meta translation.
> *The red title in "Donation now" is wrong. It reads "Ajudeu la Wikimedia!" which does not appear in meta translation. I understand that you have changed Wikipedia into Wikimedia from a similar message, but now it does not sound good. I suggest saying "Ajudeu Wikimedia!"

All those fixes should be done. :-)

> If this is not the appropriate channel to ask for these kind of corrections, please say it to me :-)

It's fine! :-) Thanks for your fixes.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Bence Damokos
Dear Translators!
With the approval of Wikimedia Norge and Wikimédia Magyarország, the number of chapters has increased to 21.
Please update the translation of your language, when you can. There is a template: {{CHAPTER-COUNT}}, that inserts the current number of chapters: you might want to use that, or just simply changing "19" to "21".

Thank you,
Bence Damokos

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Xavier SMP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello! I am also happy for having the test version of the fundraising webpage. With it I have seen that one of the tab buttons in the top menu was translated (into Catalan) incorrectly. The "Show support" tab should not read "Mostra ajuda" but rather "Mostreu el vostre suport". I have corrected this in meta. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages/ca
>
> In addition to this I have also found some thinks that I would like to comment:
> *The currency symbol should come after the amount as in Hungarian: like 20€
> *In Jimbo's quote, there is a < symbol which seems to be a typo but is not present in meta translation.
> *The red title in "Donation now" is wrong. It reads "Ajudeu la Wikimedia!" which does not appear in meta translation. I understand that you have changed Wikipedia into Wikimedia from a similar message, but now it does not sound good. I suggest saying "Ajudeu Wikimedia!"

All those fixes should be done. :-)

> If this is not the appropriate channel to ask for these kind of corrections, please say it to me :-)

It's fine! :-) Thanks for your fixes.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Huji Lee
Latin-based languages can use that template, but non-latin based ones should rather change the number by hand every time (unless a better solution is provided).

Hojjat (aka Huji)

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Casey Brown <<a href="http://cbrown1023.ml" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">cbrown1023.ml@<a href="http://gmail.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Xavier SMP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello! I am also happy for having the test version of the fundraising webpage. With it I have seen that one of the tab buttons in the top menu was translated (into Catalan) incorrectly. The "Show support" tab should not read "Mostra ajuda" but rather "Mostreu el vostre suport". I have corrected this in meta. <a href="http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages/ca" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2008/core_messages/ca
>
> In addition to this I have also found some thinks that I would like to comment:
> *The currency symbol should come after the amount as in Hungarian: like 20€
> *In Jimbo's quote, there is a < symbol which seems to be a typo but is not present in meta translation.
> *The red title in "Donation now" is wrong. It reads "Ajudeu la Wikimedia!" which does not appear in meta translation. I understand that you have changed Wikipedia into Wikimedia from a similar message, but now it does not sound good. I suggest saying "Ajudeu Wikimedia!"

All those fixes should be done. :-)

> If this is not the appropriate channel to ask for these kind of corrections, please say it to me :-)

It's fine! :-) Thanks for your fixes.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: [Fundraising 2008] Small update

Huji Lee
Being on the topic of the fundraising central notice, I would also want to request the people who are involved in developing the English version of such notices, to bear in mind to assign every element of the notice either an ID or a CLASS attirbute, and put them inside DIVs or SPANs. With the current fundraiser central notice, the "Support Wikipedia: a non-profit project." piece of text is just left inside a DIV which also contains several other elements, and it makes customization of that (and only that) string harder.

Thanks in advance,

Hojjat (aka Huji)